This Week in ECAC Hockey Poll: Booing Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week in ECAC Hockey Poll: Booing Players

Rabid readership: to what extent is it acceptable/appropriate to boo a collegiate student-athlete, specifically a D-I hockey player?
    Never ever. These are young students, not pros.
    1.79%
    Only when a player does something grossly inappropriate/unsportsmanlike.
    37.50%
    Any time the other team has the puck ... but never your own boys.
    28.57%
    Perceived sloppiness, stupidity or lack of effort warrants a negative reaction.
    5.36%
    Whenever you like: you paid for your ticket and - in part - their scholarships.
    17.86%
    Unsure/other (please elaborate below).
    8.93%

The poll is expired.

Re: This Week in ECAC Hockey Poll: Booing Players

When you're an RPI fan and Chris Huxley is carrying the puck.
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Whenever your team is playing Michigan state university and sparty has the puck...
      Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
        When you're an RPI fan and Chris Huxley is carrying the puck.
        Serious question- why is this? I would love to know the story behind this as it is the first I've ever heard of it.
        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
          Serious question- why is this? I would love to know the story behind this as it is the first I've ever heard of it.
          H****y had committed to RPI to enter in the 06-07 season. (He would have been a senior this year.) About three minutes after Dan Fridgen was let go as the RPI coach, it was announced that he would go to Harvard after a year in the USHL. While he was within his rights to change at that point, the timing has never been explained. All Seth Appert has said is that he did not want players who did not want to play for RPI.

You can have him. I like Peter Merth, who Seth Appert signed after arriving, better.

I agree with GLM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            H****y had committed to RPI to enter in the 06-07 season. (He would have been a senior this year.) About three minutes after Dan Fridgen was let go as the RPI coach, it was announced that he would go to Harvard after a year in the USHL. While he was within his rights to change at that point, the timing has never been explained. All Seth Appert has said is that he did not want players who did not want to play for RPI.

You can have him. I like Peter Merth, who Seth Appert signed after arriving, better.

I agree with GLM.
            Oh, okay then.
            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

I'll give my own example of when Colgate students booed a hockey player.

Last February, in the home season finale for Colgate vs. RPI, late in the 2nd period RPI's Garret Vassel slammed Colgate's Jason Williams into the boards. He didn't get up, and had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher. Vassel was given a 5-minute major, and when his penalty expired and was back on the ice, all the Colgate students erupted with loud booing and chants of "12 you suck!" (he wears #12) unless he was on the bench.

I don't want this story to sound offensive to faithful RPI fans, but thankfully Williams did not suffer a serious injury, though the Colgate fans in the rink at the time thought so. Luckily Colgate was able to defeat RPI 2-1 in overtime, causing the crowd to erupt in a frenzy and forget about the Williams "injury".
              Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by ECACHL writer View Post
                Rabid readership: to what extent is it acceptable/appropriate to boo a collegiate student-athlete, specifically a D-I hockey player?
                Whenever said player is wearing a horrid Green/Gold/White combo uniform, in any building, at any time, that says Clarkson on it!!!! (Sorry Vic)
                SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                  Whenever said player is wearing a horrid Green/Gold/White combo uniform, in any building, at any time, that says Clarkson on it!!!! (Sorry Vic)
                  THIS.

Also, any Cornell player, coach, or fan.
                  RPI
                  Remember, whenever we score, you need to punch, shove, or throw the person next to you, or else you will be removed from our section.

Announcer: [Opposing Team] returns to full strength!
                  Crowd: That's de-
                  [HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!!!]

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                    And here's back at whatever shade of Red it is (i.e. SLU, RPI and Cornell) .
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I don't want this to turn into a Chris Huxley thread, but I do want to state that not all RPI fans fault Huxley for his decision to go to Harvard.

If he decided that Harvard with Ted Donato was a better fit for him than RPI with a coach to be named later (if I recall correctly, there was a significant time lapse between the time when Dan Fridgen was let go and the time Seth Appert was hired), I cannot find it within me to boo him for making that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        What, no Colgate? Or are they and Harvard, not red enough?
                        Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          Amen VIC!

I can't stand those SLUZERS!!! (Or the pinko-commies for that matter )
                          BONESAW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hopkinja View Post
                            What, no Colgate? Or are they and Harvard, not red enough?
                            I am red-green colorblind, so I really shouldn't get into this discussion , but I always thought my birthstone, a garnet, which I assume is also Union's color, is some kind of red too.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I am red-green colorblind, so I really shouldn't get into this discussion , but I always thought my birthstone, a garnet, which I assume is also Union's color, is some kind of red too.
                              There's no question on my birthstone which color I support. The ruby.
                              Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-14-2009, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X