Ecac East 2009/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecac East 2009/2010

How many of the highly rated Norwich recruits will turn out to be prime time players; can Castleton finally make the push to unseat Norwich this year; will NEC's European players improve to make a move this year; with Alex DiPietro and Brad Baldelli gone will Babson be able to replace all thoes lost points; can UMass Boston continue the success they had by beating Norwich in the Ecac's last year; Southern Maine has a very good program and excellent coaching so they could do well this year; St. A's, St. Mike's, and U of New England will probable make up the bottom 3 in the league but who knows. There seems to be a lot more unknown's in the East this year but we will all miss Salem who droped out of the league this year. The only prediction I will make is the U of New England will suprise a few teams that take them lightly.

I am probable most familar with the Norwich and Castleton programs after watching a number of games from each program over the years. Castleton in my opinion lack of scoring has been the most obvious factor preventing them from making a move to the top spot in the East. With excellent coaching and a good recruiting class they should be tough again this year. Norwich lost All American Nikita Kashirsky who has continued his success in the ECHL and his play making and points will be hard to replace. Norwich has a lot of very highly rated recruits coming in this year and expectations are very high with the Primelink coming up in a little over two weeks. Norwich inter-squad game will be this Saturday so the fans will have a chance to see the new guys in action. Reguardless how the teams shake out it is going to be another exciting year of hockey. Any comments?
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Re: Ecac East 2009/2010

I agree Castleton cannot score. They have a lot of young guys I guessing anywhere from 9-12. If these new players are able to score early they may have a chance, but if the new guys do not produce early I expect Norwich to be #1 and Castleton-Skidmore - NEC & Babson battling for second.

Comment

CSC was involved in 13 games last year that ended tied or W/L by one goal...amazing. Beside scoring, CSC might have questions in goal with only McNary returning. I only saw him twice...in the Midd game where he wasn't challenged much but did a solid job and the Babson playoff game where he looked to be having problems (not much D help either that day, either). Any word on Spartan netminders coming in?
      D-III Game Pics @ http://www.willcimages.com

Friends of Panther Hockey

Comment

It will be interesting to see how UNE does. They have been gearing up for the ECAC East by playing an ACHA schedule for the last two years, and were 14-4-1 last year. They may get into the swim of things faster than Castleton did.

One question I have is how did they get to schedule a non-exhibition game a week before the opening of the interlock season? Nobody gets to do that. The last time Norwich ended up having to bill such a game as an exhibition. Just curious.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

http://www.castleton.edu/athletics/mhockey/roster.htm

Just linked the Castleton roster if others would like to review it. Looks like 10 freshmen including 2 goaltenders, Arthur Hollinger (El Plaso), and Justin Roethlingshoefer (Cornwall). Just looking at the leagues these guys played in I would have to guess that they are all good players. The Ecac East should be real interesting this year.

Speaking of UNE from stuff coming out of the school I would say the school is going to put a lot of resources into being competitive real soon. In a way I wish Norwich wasn't playing UNE at home in there first game.

Comment

Oh come on now, UNE already lost this week to lowly Salve Regina at home no less. And you are nervious about a veteran team playing up there this week?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey NutCase View Post
              Oh come on now, UNE already lost this week to lowly Salve Regina at home no less. And you are nervious about a veteran team playing up there this week?
              After watching the Maroon and Gold practice Saturday other then defense it looks like they are going to have a lot of freshmen playing forward this year. Norwich had a good recruiting class but I will leave it up to the coaches of UNE and USM to figure who is going to be the go-to guys for Norwich this year. I am not going to make there job easier. I am nervious about Norwich playing Southern Maine on Saturday since SMU has good coaching, an excellent program, and always give's Norwich problems. Also as a fan I have no idea how the goaltending situation is going to shake out this year. I do think Castleton and NEC are going to be very good this year. The other teams I am not that familar with yet. Big game this weekend between Castleton and NEC in Rutland for Central Vermont fans.

Comment

I hope you are going down to Rutland to cheer on your Spartans

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                After watching the Maroon and Gold practice Saturday other then defense it looks like they are going to have a lot of freshmen playing forward this year. Norwich had a good recruiting class but I will leave it up to the coaches of UNE and USM to figure who is going to be the go-to guys for Norwich this year. I am not going to make there job easier. I am nervious about Norwich playing Southern Maine on Saturday since SMU has good coaching, an excellent program, and always give's Norwich problems. Also as a fan I have no idea how the goaltending situation is going to shake out this year. I do think Castleton and NEC are going to be very good this year. The other teams I am not that familar with yet. Big game this weekend between Castleton and NEC in Rutland for Central Vermont fans.
                Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
                  I hope you are going down to Rutland to cheer on your Spartans
                  Don't you want someone checking out 2 of the best teams in the ECAC East.
                  Nec'a roster is attached and list a lot of players from Finland and Sweden.

http://www.nec.edu/athletics/varsity...-hockey-roster

Speaking of Norwich it will be interested to see how the goaltenders are rotated this weekend and who starts against the weaker team, UNE.

Comment

Speaking of Norwich it will be interested to see how the goaltenders are rotated this weekend and who starts against the weaker team, UNE.
                    Hawk - That looks like last year's NEC roster . . . .

Comment

It is last year's roster

Comment

Many of those same Swedes and Finns will be back...... as well as the Canadians and Americans
                        Hockey and Beer..Two great tastes that go together

Rick Jeanneret -The BEST play by play voice in Hockey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfbyrKnKc0

Comment

NEC is an interesting case in DIII hockey.
                          9 of their top 10 point scorers last year were foreign;4 canadians,3 swedes and two Finns.I am not sure if I agree with their recruiting strategy but there is no question it works.

Comment

Final Standing and Thoughts

1. Norwich = Great Coach, great Frosh Fwds, and tradition wins the league again!

2. Castleton = Same thing above except they are starting a tradition and Coach Todd is getting better Norwich gets them by a point again.

3. Babson = Post season success all year long Coach Rice is very good

4. NEC = European flavor is tough to prepare for

5. Skidmore = System is in place will be a solid performer

6. Umass Boston = Poor coaching but has some very good talent

7. SME = Big losses from last years team not replaced

8. St. Anselm = Good Freshmen and Solid goalies will be competitive all year

9. St. Mikes = Need to go D-III

10. UNE = Will be much better than most think

Comment

NEC's roster is up on the College Hockey Stats website

31 players

12 Americans, 7 Canadians, 7 Swedes, 3 Finns, 1 Brit, 1 Japanese
                              Hockey and Beer..Two great tastes that go together

Rick Jeanneret -The BEST play by play voice in Hockey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfbyrKnKc0

Comment

Working...
                              X