• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ecac East 2009/2010

Originally posted by play by play View Post
    NEC's roster is up on the College Hockey Stats website

31 players

12 Americans, 7 Canadians, 7 Swedes, 3 Finns, 1 Brit, 1 Japanese
    The roster looks like a combined Sweden and Finland Under 20 team. I thought last year the NEC European forwards were very hard to control near the net-wonder if they have or will improve this weekend. Of all the Ecac East games this weekend I would say the Castleton/NEC game could be billed as the most competitive. If I remember last year Poulet had the GWG for NEC and it turned out he was not eligible. Norwich/USM, Babson/Bowdoin and a few others come in close behind.
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdLiner View Post
      Final Standing and Thoughts

1. Norwich = Great Coach, great Frosh Fwds, and tradition wins the league again!

2. Castleton = Same thing above except they are starting a tradition and Coach Todd is getting better Norwich gets them by a point again.

3. Babson = Post season success all year long Coach Rice is very good

4. NEC = European flavor is tough to prepare for

5. Skidmore = System is in place will be a solid performer

6. Umass Boston = Poor coaching but has some very good talent

7. SME = Big losses from last years team not replaced

8. St. Anselm = Good Freshmen and Solid goalies will be competitive all year

9. St. Mikes = Need to go D-III

10. UNE = Will be much better than most think

Who is SME? University of Southern Maine? USM?

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
        Don't you want someone checking out 2 of the best teams in the ECAC East.
        Nec'a roster is attached and list a lot of players from Finland and Sweden.

http://www.nec.edu/athletics/varsity...-hockey-roster

Speaking of Norwich it will be interested to see how the goaltenders are rotated this weekend and who starts against the weaker team, UNE.
        FYI - That's the 2008/2009 roster. It's unknown who is returning and the impect of the freshman class.

Comment

http://usm.maine.edu/athletics/Men%2...mihroster.html

USM's roster....

Comment

Had a chance to catch the Castleton/NEC game that ended in a tie. Both teams seem the same to me as last year; NEC very skilled with European forwards and Castleton an agressive checking team that likes to get close to the net. Castleton seems to have trouble scoring just like last year. The Castleton Spartins pregame show was second to none with there 20X20+- video screen showing a film entitled "What it takes to be a Spartin". The video shows wieght training, practice, key goals, and getting ready for a game. Outstanding.

Some interesting results in the East with the 2 wins by Norwich and Skidmore, UMASS Bostin win over Colby, and Babson loss to Bowdoin.

Comment

1. Norwich = Great Coach, great Frosh Fwds, and tradition wins the league again!

2. Castleton = Same thing above except they are starting a tradition and Coach Todd is getting better Norwich gets them by a point again.

# 6 Umass Boston = You state "Poor Coaching " . You sure you didn''t mix up #1 and # 6 ? Boy , how you forget quickly ! Seems to me Umass Boston I recall the number 8 seed last year knocked off your great coach in round 1 . And I would have to say Norwich surely had the talent over Umass ! Now that's Poor Coaching !!! Coach Belisle has come along way with the UMass program in the last three years , where as others with superior talent have
              come far short of there expectations ! That's how you should evaluate a coach .

Comment

Last years win by UMass Boston had nothing to do with coaching, can you spell Goaltender.

Originally posted by Don 222 View Post
                # 6 Umass Boston = You state "Poor Coaching " . You sure you didn''t mix up #1 and # 6 ? Boy , how you forget quickly ! Seems to me Umass Boston I recall the number 8 seed last year knocked off your great coach in round 1 . And I would have to say Norwich surely had the talent over Umass ! Now that's Poor Coaching !!! Coach Belisle has come along way with the UMass program in the last three years , where as others with superior talent have
                come far short of there expectations ! That's how you should evaluate a coach .
                Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Now listen Hawk, if you are going to cheer for Castleton at least know that they are the Spartans not the Spartins.

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                  Had a chance to catch the Castleton/NEC game that ended in a tie. Both teams seem the same to me as last year; NEC very skilled with European forwards and Castleton an agressive checking team that likes to get close to the net. Castleton seems to have trouble scoring just like last year. The Castleton Spartins pregame show was second to none with there 20X20+- video screen showing a film entitled "What it takes to be a Spartin". The video shows wieght training, practice, key goals, and getting ready for a game. Outstanding.

Some interesting results in the East with the 2 wins by Norwich and Skidmore, UMASS Bostin win over Colby, and Babson loss to Bowdoin.
                  Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
                    Last years win by UMass Boston had nothing to do with coaching, can you spell Goaltender.

A goaltender is part of a hockey team right?????

Comment

Can you spell "COACH " . The goaltender had nothing to do with the loss . Umass won the game 1-0 . I don't think you can blame the goalie for that !
                      He was out coached , by a far less talented team . The number 1 team in
                      the division lost to the number 8 team ,and could only manage one goal .
                      With the talent that Norwich had on there roster last year and the success they showed by beating the two teams that ended up in the final game in the final four , the loss to Umass Boston falls on one guy = COACH .

Comment

I was reffering to the umass goalie Cadets had like 39 shots on net compared to about 25 for Boston. Just curious were you at the game?

Can you spell "COACH " . The goaltender had nothing to do with the loss . Umass won the game 1-0 . I don't think you can blame the goalie for that !
                        He was out coached , by a far less talented team . The number 1 team in
                        the division lost to the number 8 team ,and could only manage one goal .
                        With the talent that Norwich had on there roster last year and the success they showed by beating the two teams that ended up in the final game in the final four , the loss to Umass Boston falls on one guy = COACH .
                        Last edited by CROSBYNU63; 11-22-2009, 01:26 PM.
                        Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

I was reffering to the umass goalie Cadets had like 39 shots on net compared to about 25 for Boston. Just curious were you at the game?
                          I agree Umass goalie did stand on his head a good reason why they did so well during playoffs . Norwich had substantially more talent and with Platty knocked out they could of made a serious run at the championship . They showed during the season that they could beat the two teams that ended up in the final game ! There chances last yr were better than the yr before as there was no way they were going to beat St Norbert and Kyle Jones . I'm sure McShane was totally disgusted and realized he blew a golden opportunity for another championship . Hot goalie on a number 8 seed
                          ( during playoffs ) still should never win a game at Norwich's home rink ! :rolltoes:

Comment

I agree Umass goalie did stand on his head a good reason why they did so well during playoffs . Norwich had substantially more talent and with Platty knocked out they could of made a serious run at the championship . They showed during the season that they could beat the two teams that ended up in the final game ! There chances last yr were better than the yr before as there was no way they were going to beat St Norbert and Kyle Jones . I'm sure McShane was totally disgusted and realized he blew a golden opportunity for another championship . Hot goalie on a number 8 seed
                            ( during playoffs ) still should never win a game at Norwich's home rink ! :rolltoes:
                            I wouldnt say a 1-0 loss is poor coaching. I also wouldn't say that not winning a national championship is a blown opportunity. Theres what, 70 teams in D3 hockey? The odds are never favorable no matter how good you are when you have to rise above so many teams just to make it to the tourney. I was glad to see umass win, but to say one coach is better than another based on one 1-0 game seems rediculous.

Comment

My response is not based on one game , and this is the guy who pointed
                              out Great Coach and Poor Coach . I would say getting beat by the number 8 seed in your home rink during playoffs 1-0 is poor preperation for
                              a playoff game . And yes you are right very difficult to win or make it to
                              final four any year , but boy that was a great opportunity missed ! There are
                              not many years when you beat the two teams that are in the final game during the season , and then get knocked out in round 1.

Comment

My response is not based on one game , and this is the guy who pointed
                                out Great Coach and Poor Coach . I would say getting beat by the number 8 seed in your home rink during playoffs 1-0 is poor preperation for
                                a playoff game . And yes you are right very difficult to win or make it to
                                final four any year , but boy that was a great opportunity missed ! There are
                                not many years when you beat the two teams that are in the final game during the season , and then get knocked out in round 1.
                                After watching all of Norwich's home games last year it appeared that they didn't have enough production up front to beat the top teams on a consistant basis. I believe that Norwich lost one of its best forwards mid term which reduced production; also there was an offensive defensemen from Quebec who I believed left the previous year who generated a lot of points. I look at last year as a transition year for Norwich. The team recruited something like 11 forwards this year, many of which have offensive potential.

Comment

Working...
                                X