Posting scores on Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting scores on Twitter

I know we post scores here on the weekend, but for D3 diehards away from a computer but who may be able to tweet, is it possible to set up twitter account to post the results?

I have no idea on how this is done, but if I'm sitting in an ice rink I could scroll down the tweets and see if my school's arch rival is winning or losing.

The ACHA does this, so it can't be that hard. Any takers?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Posting scores on Twitter

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    I know we post scores here on the weekend, but for D3 diehards away from a computer but who may be able to tweet, is it possible to set up twitter account to post the results?

I have no idea on how this is done, but if I'm sitting in an ice rink I could scroll down the tweets and see if my school's arch rival is winning or losing.

I second and third this idea! I am well versed in the twittersphere but based on my duties already, and the fact I'm busy during game time, I can't do it.

I have thought about having this for D3 hockey and prep football many times. Someone should do this! I know I would have my Twitter app open during broadcasts if it were taken up by someone.
    WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
    NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
    WIAC Championships: 10-11
    NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
    NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

This seems like an easy way for someone to gain a ton of followers.

I'll do it. Twitter.com/VOTL
      Voice of the Lakers, 2007-2009
      Follow me on Twitter
      The VOTL.com
      Chairman Hows Glorious Army

Comment

OK, now how do I tweet a score?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

OK, now how do I tweet a score?
          From the home screen on Twitter. Type it into that blank, rectangular box underneath the question, "What are you doing?"
          Follow me on Twitter
          The VOTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Maloney View Post
            From the home screen on Twitter. Type it into that blank, rectangular box underneath the question, "What are you doing?"
            What about from my blackberry? something like @VOTL Salem 10 Norwich 0 1st pd?

Or
            Salem 10 Norwich 0 1st pd #VOTL.

Like I said, I am clueless on sending tweets.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Or we can just all do it collectively, like we do the scores on the board. We can all agree to use the hashtag #d3hockeyscores with our score Tweets. So if you're updating a game, try to post the score on Twitter using that hashtag as well. If somebody is following the hashtag and doesn't see anything listed for a game they're following (or see posted on the board), they can Tweet an update.

Explanation for the non-Twitter people. A hashtag is like a keyword. You just indicate you're using one by putting a # symbol in front of the keyword in your 'tweet' (post). Then on the right hand side of the Twitter homepage you can search for a hashtag by typing in "#_______". Then you'll get sent to a page where you can see all the posts made (and being made - the page lets you know when there are new posts). So if people make posts like "#d3hockeyscores Plattsburgh 4, Geneseo 2. 14:51 2nd." and "#d3hockeyscores Wis-Superior 2, St. Norbert 1, 12:45 1st" they would all show up when somebody searched for #d3hockeyscores. I think this is the best solution (you could still follow individual people, but this could put all scores in one spot easier, and allow anyone with cell coverage from any rink to update Twitter with a score).
              2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
              2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
              2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
              Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

The new list feature is perfect for this. I created one here. Follow that list. I will continue to add Tweeters who are posting D3 scores throughout the season. Who wants to help me get a head start? If you Tweet scores, give me your user name. Thanks.

Carey's idea will go a long way in helping me find score Tweeters. If you're Tweeting a score, hash tag it with #d3hockeyscores as shown below.
                Last edited by Ryan Maloney; 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM.
                Follow me on Twitter
                The VOTL.com

Comment

So...how can this evil, evil thing be better at finding scores than this? I want details....I am all for finding different ways to get scores, but I want to know the benefits of getting one of these stupid accounts to find scores before I get a stupid account.
                  "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by powerofyellowandblack View Post
                    So...how can this evil, evil thing be better at finding scores than this? I want details....I am all for finding different ways to get scores, but I want to know the benefits of getting one of these stupid accounts to find scores before I get a stupid account.
                    Well, for starters you can give your refresh button a break. I prefer Twitter over the board when I'm actually at a game as a fan and don't have my laptop. I can open UberTwitter or one of the other 8 million Twitter apps they have for BlackBerries/iPhones and get the scores as they're "Tweeted." I'm just waiting for an updated version of UberTwitter that recognizes the new "lists" feature on Twitter.
                    Follow me on Twitter
                    The VOTL.com

Comment

This sure sounds like an updated and easier to run version of the old D3 Cell Phone Network.
                      John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                      AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                      AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                      NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                      NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                      NCAA DII - 1983
                      NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

If you're signing up for this "evil, evil thing" either post your user name here or find me on there (Twitter.com/VOTL) and "follow" me. I'll see it and add you to the D3 scores list.
                        Follow me on Twitter
                        The VOTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                          This sure sounds like an updated and easier to run version of the old D3 Cell Phone Network.
                          But the cell phone network was not that long ago, was it? You're making it sound like it was the 90's.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

jackethockey34
                            "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Just thought I'd test the idea of embedding CoverItLive on this board.
                              Follow me on Twitter
                              The VOTL.com

Comment

Working...
                              X