Poll Results Nov 9th ..hard to predict but easy to criticize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll Results Nov 9th ..hard to predict but easy to criticize

I've always enjoyed the discussions on the USCHO Poll. We could usually count on Prez to initiate the thread prior to the tabulation of ballots....but since it hasn't appeared, I thought I'd take a stab at it.

The first few rolled off pretty quickly.
    After I got my team slotted where I thought they belonged ....I started to lose interest . ........but I didn't give up.

Highly regarded teams were being knocked off...so a "consideration" list is created ....Morrisville gets jotted down ..ok then Utica should get on the list if for no other reason but to avoid queries from Pioneers#1 ........,then I had to start considering teams that hadn't been assigned their game uniforms yet ......where do you fit those guys in ???

I get thru to # 7 now and ......and the ballot requires 15 teams.
    I have stalled.
    The consideration list begins to to lengthen.......20 names .... and alot of those names are going to draw less than complimentary discussion about my abilities .........,or lack of them at ranking teams.

The task that I thought would take 5 minutes has now consumed far to much time and I should get back to work.

8,9 & 10....get on the list...if for no other reason than ...they were on the last poll . ..... now I need 5 names .....use the "consideration" list..

Okay Done !

1) Oswego
    2) Plattsburg
    3) St.Norbert
    4) Adrian
    5) Manhattanville
    6) Amherst
    7) Middlebury
    8) St Scholastica
    9) Norwich
    10) Neumann
    11) River Falls
    12) Superior
    13) Hamline
    14) Stout
    15) Elmira..no Morrisville.....no Utica !

Josh I always appreciated your open "ballot-book" policy.
    I now have a new appreciation for the time and effort that you, and many others put into this exercise on a weekly basis........and my apologies for the many times I have hung "meaningless" tag on the USCHO Poll.

It has been, and hopefully will continue to be, a great source of discussion.
    Last edited by NorthernLite; 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM.

Re: Poll Results Nov 9th ..hard to predict but easy to criticize

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
    I've always enjoyed the discussions on the USCHO Poll. We could usually count on Prez to initiate the thread prior to the tabulation of ballots....but since it hasn't appeared, I thought I'd take a stab at it.

After I got my team slotted where I thought they belonged ....I started to lose interest . ........but I didn't give up.

Highly regarded teams were being knocked off...so a "consideration" list is created ....Morrisville gets jotted down ..ok then Utica should get on the list if for no other reason but to avoid queries from Pioneers#1 ........,then I had to start considering teams that hadn't been assigned their game uniforms yet ......where do you fit those guys in ???

I have stalled.
    The consideration list begins to to lengthen.......20 names .... and alot of those names are going to draw less than complimentary discussion about my abilities .........,or lack of them at ranking teams.

The task that I thought would take 5 minutes has now consumed far to much time and I should get back to work.

8,9 & 10....get on the list...if for no other reason than ...they were on the last poll . ..... now I need 5 names .....use the "consideration" list..

Okay Done !

1) Oswego
    2) Plattsburg
    3) St.Norbert
    4) Adrian
    5) Manhattanville
    6) Amherst
    7) Middlebury
    8) St Scholastica
    9) Hamline
    10) Norwich
    11) River Falls
    12) Superior
    13) Neumann
    14) Stout

I now have a new appreciation for the time and effort that you, and many others put into this exercise on a weekly basis........and my apologies for the many times I have hung "meaningless" tag on the USCHO Poll.

CSS over Stout?

UW-Stout lost two (to a strong SNC team), therefore CSS holds a better overall record and conference record. But they did stumble against SJU who lost big to the Yellowjackets and even tied St. Thomas who UW-Stout just beat 8-0.

Thought I would start stirring the pot on your poll
    WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
    NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
    WIAC Championships: 10-11
    NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
    NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

He started it a week too early
      Anyway, it's probably better to be discussing this week's poll in its own thread, instead of one for a non-existant poll from 11/2

1) Oswego
      2) Plattsburg
      3) St.Norbert
      4) Adrian
      5) Manhattanville
      6) Amherst
      7) Middlebury
      8) St Scholastica
      9) Stout
      10) Norwich
      11) Neumann
      12) Superior
      13) St. Olaf
      14) Hamline
      As I said in the other thread, I think a strong case could be made for River Falls to be on the list. 2 road wins at Superior, and a 4-1 record to boot. Quite possibly 14 or 15, with Hamline or Elmira falling short (yes, and Elmira fan did just say that...)

Manhattanville DID beat Hobart, bu their other two wins come to Lebanon Valley. I can see a case for a move up, but to #5? Oh, and speaking of Hobart... 2 losses and a tie, and they drop from #5 to unranked? Possible, but I doubt it.

And , while I agree with the logic behind it, I think that Adrian in the top 5 will cause far too much controversy to be worth it... perhaps we should just let them be content with #6 for now, to avoid mutiny by the Adrian Detractors? Now, If Adrian can leave Oswego with a road win (AND be undefeated at that point), then I'd say a top 5, perhaps even #1, ranking is well-deserved. But you don't want to wait that long, do you? Should we just hand over the national championship trophy now?

But in all seriousness, I have to agree with you... the stars appear to have finally aligned to allow Adrian into the top 5.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        As I said in the other thread, I think a strong case could be made for River Falls to be on the list.
        I think you'll see the Falcons in.

Objectively, the two wins at Superior are impressive and the lone loss was to a team ranked higher than them (Gustavus).

In poll psychology terms, they are 4-1 and were one spot out last time. That means they will receive an "auto-move" up.
        “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
        19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

[QUOTE=BlueDevilRadio;4453677]CSS over Stout?

UW-Stout lost two (to a strong SNC team), therefore CSS holds a better overall record and conference record. But they did stumble against SJU who lost big to the Yellowjackets and even tied St. Thomas who UW-Stout just beat 8-0.

The beauty of this thing is....I can edit my post.

Now if you'd like to get over the deep wounds from your unspectacular start I'll accept your post as being constructive........however if you continue to criticize my ballot.........I'll edit Stout right off my list li. !

Comment

[QUOTE=NorthernLite;4453705]
            Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
            CSS over Stout?

The beauty of this thing is....I can edit my post.

Now if you'd like to get over the deep wounds from your unspectacular start I'll accept your post as being constructive........however if you continue to criticize my ballot.........I'll edit Stout right off my list li. !
            I loved our lack-luster start! Better to see problems early on and get them fixed rather than late in the season when it counts. (Ahem, UWRF)

With your latest edit, I'll clinch to the fact that it is a mere prediction and that will help me sleep!
            WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
            NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
            WIAC Championships: 10-11
            NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
            NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
              I think you'll see the Falcons in.

Objectively, the two wins at Superior are impressive and the lone loss was to a team ranked higher than them (Gustavus).

In poll psychology terms, they are 4-1 and were one spot out last time. That means they will receive an "auto-move" up.

I have River Fall at 11........mind you it was an edit after the fact.

Comment

He started it a week too early
                Anyway, it's probably better to be discussing this week's poll in its own thread, instead of one for a non-existant poll from 11/2

As I said in the other thread, I think a strong case could be made for River Falls to be on the list. 2 road wins at Superior, and a 4-1 record to boot. Quite possibly 14 or 15, with Hamline or Elmira falling short (yes, and Elmira fan did just say that...)

Manhattanville DID beat Hobart, bu their other two wins come to Lebanon Valley. I can see a case for a move up, but to #5? Oh, and speaking of Hobart... 2 losses and a tie, and they drop from #5 to unranked? Possible, but I doubt it.

And , while I agree with the logic behind it, I think that Adrian in the top 5 will cause far too much controversy to be worth it... perhaps we should just let them be content with #6 for now, to avoid mutiny by the Adrian Detractors? Now, If Adrian can leave Oswego with a road win (AND be undefeated at that point), then I'd say a top 5, perhaps even #1, ranking is well-deserved. But you don't want to wait that long, do you? Should we just hand over the national championship trophy now?

But in all seriousness, I have to agree with you... the stars appear to have finally aligned to allow Adrian into the top 5.
                Thanks for bringing River Falls to my attention......good call !

As for Hobart.......they were over-rated at # 5 in my opinion and slid from where I had them......to where they are now.

An undefeated Manhattanville possibly did jump up alot....but how can there be a TOP 5 without an ECAC-W participant ?

#4 Adrian may seem logical to many forum members.....however bias had more to do with their selection as my #4.
                You will also note that I have favoured Oswego and Hamline in my ballot based on their record against highly ranked programs. .....although perhaps I'm guilty of lobbying a bit for good opponents on Adrian's N/C schedule.

Comment

As for Hobart.......they were over-rated at # 5 in my opinion and slid from where I had them......to where they are now.

An undefeated Manhattanville possibly did jump up alot....but how can there be a TOP 5 without an ECAC-W participant ?
                  After further consideration, I see your point about both of these programs. Personally, I would probably still have Hobart in the 12-15 range, but when I was trying to put together my prediction (I gave up) I couldn't think of 5 teams to place higher than Manhattanville, unless you could somehow justify River Falls skyrocketing to #5, which I just don't see happening.

Well, the Division I poll is up (Miami received 49 of 50 first-placed votes). Just heightens the pre-poll anxiety
                  Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 11-09-2009, 01:28 PM. Reason: grammar fail
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

Well, the Division I poll is up (Miami received 49 of 50 first-placed votes). Just heightens the pre-poll anxiety
                    I don't know when the D1 pollsters have to get their votes in, but us D3 pollsters have until 3:00pm to get our votes in.

Then you need the time to tabulate and write the article.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      I don't know when the D1 pollsters have to get their votes in, but us D3 pollsters have until 3:00pm to get our votes in.

I totally understand that it takes time. I really do appreciate the effort that is put into publishing this poll every week during the regular season, I'm just a little impatient when it comes to things like this.

Now, hopefully this thing comes out before I have to leave for my night class...
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

I have stalled.

Okay Done !

1) Oswego
                        2) Plattsburg
                        3) St.Norbert
                        4) Adrian
                        5) Manhattanville
                        6) Amherst
                        7) Middlebury
                        8) St Scholastica
                        9) Norwich
                        10) Neumann
                        11) River Falls
                        12) Superior
                        13) Hamline
                        14) Stout

I don't expect Utica to be in the Top 15.........I do expect them to get recieving votes however....
                        Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
                        Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                        Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                        2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
                        2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Does that mean that the D3 poll should be better than the D1 poll?
                          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

What time is the poll released today?
                            Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
                            Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                            Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                            2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
                            2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post
                              What time is the poll released today?
                              When its ready...
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                              X