X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poll Results Nov 9th ..hard to predict but easy to criticize

Originally posted by Matt Rennell View Post
    Two ways:

1) Not every poll gets counted each week. There are back-ups who also submit ballots in case one of the regular voters does not get theirs in on time, or at all. So, someone who voted in last weeks poll may not have submitted a poll this week, or they may not have submitted a poll last week, and did so this week.

2) After 2 weeks between polls, someone could have simply changed their mind.
    Like this fool who didn't submit a ballot this week. Mostly because I wasn't confident enough with what I had to finalize it, but this is what my last draft looked like.

Rank Team My Previous
    1 Manhattanville (1)
    2 SNC (3)
    3 Adrian (4)
    4 Plattsburgh (2)
    5 Norwich (5)
    6 Stout (7)
    7 Oswego (NR)
    8 Gustavus (6)
    9 Elmira (11)
    10 Middlebury (10)
    11 Amherst (12)
    12 River Falls (NR)
    13 Hamline (15)
    14 Utica (NR)
    15 St. Scholastica (NR) I guess?

I had M'ville #1 in the preseason, no reason to change that. SNC is a worthy #2, but that tie to Hamline is enough to disqualify them from first right now for me. Adrian slides up a spot, no big points of discussion until...

Plattsburgh. Here's the issue with Plattsburgh and Oswego. Let's say, despite the fact I still think Plattsburgh is a better team, I rank Oswego above them. Then I have to rank Elmira above Plattsburgh because Elmira split with Oswego. Then I have to rank Morrisville above Plattsburgh for splitting with Elmira! See how this quickly gets out of hand? So I either go strictly by the results (Morrisville a top 5 team) or I say "screw it" and get creative. I chose the latter.

Norwich stays where they are and...

Stout moves up? Surely Carey has lost it now. Well, maybe. But SNC is the #1 or #2 team in the nation, depending who you ask. Losing twice to them is no shame. Throw in the way they spanked St. Thomas, and I think this spot is perfectly justified.

Oswego might have earned better, but I'm critical of anybody putting them second. I've seen too many Oswego teams climb up the polls only to slam back down, and this team is a fraction of any of those.

Elmira in the vicinity of Oswego and Gustavus just felt right in this spot. Middlebury and Amherst pretty much stay in the same spots (as they should if they haven't played) and River Falls makes an entrance by sweeping a Superior team I was very skeptical about. Hamline gets credit for the SNC tie but little else. Utica displaces the national champions (who, like Superior, were a team I was skeptical about that I moved out) and I threw CSS at the bottom even though I think beating UWSP is like beating a JV squad right now. Hard to leave out a 3 win NCHA team though.

And those are my thoughts.
    2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
    2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
    2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
    Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
      ...and I threw CSS at the bottom even though I think beating UWSP is like beating a JV squad right now.
      If I didn't know you had put this in here merely to annoy me...it might have worked.

By the way, junior, where are your SUNYAC pep band rankings? I'm sure Geneseo is making a strong push for #1 this year. Sort of unlike the hockey team...
      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
        If I didn't know you had put this in here merely to annoy me...it might have worked.

By the way, junior, where are your SUNYAC pep band rankings? I'm sure Geneseo is making a strong push for #1 this year. Sort of unlike the hockey team...
        Ranking pep bands is just cruel. They're out there just trying to give people a good show and get the crowd riled up. I wouldn't want to destroy anybody's confidence by ranking them...
        2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
        2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
        2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
        Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneers#1 View Post
          Yeah,If WNEC is like anything from last season,Utica shoulden't have a problem friday night,and so thats taken care of.....The Challenge will definitly be Saturday night up in Oswego.I think if Utica wins or tie,UC will definitly shoot up to the 13,14 or 15th shot.If they lose i think that in the next poll that comes out UC will have recieving votes,but won't have as many as they do now.I also think that;after seeing how people are picking the Utica @ Oswego game in both the SUNYAC & EcacWest pick 'em,that People under- estimate the Pioneers this season.Grant it were only 2 games into the season but when Anthony Luckow is hott in the net,he doesen't let much past him.I base this on seeing how some people think it'll be 7-1 or 7-2 or a very far margin of victory for Oswego.I might be 100% wrong on this one,But i seriously can't see Utica getting stomped on by Oswego Saturday night.

Again,I say this is my opinion and that i could be and probably am 100% wrong on this one.I do reconize that Oswego beat up Platty in Platty last saturday night,but remember we blew out Neumann and tied them(in which that whole game we led 2-0 until the ladder half of the third period)....so as long as everyone recnizes that both teams beat teams considerd better than them and ranked higher than them.....

I know its hard,if you haven't seen UC this year,but believe me when i say they are a Very improved team this year.A very different style of play.....

Alrighty,I'm ready for the feedback......here comes my beating by the Oswego fans....
          First, let me say that I do not expect a beating. If Oswego wins by more than 3 goals I will be pleasantly surprised.

But if you look at it this way, perhaps you'll see why some are anticipating a blow out. Oswego is averaging over 5 goals a game and the Lakers are only giving up an average of 2 a game. Utica is also averaging 5+ goals a game, but is giving up a goal and half more a game than the Lakers thus far.

I would venture to say that Luckow is going to have to play better on Saturday than what he has so far this year with his 3.39 GAA and .896 SV%. I don't know if you were alluding to him being hot this year or not, but I don't see Utica pulling off the upset if he stops fewer than 90% of the shots he sees.

Finally, I know how much you love to say the Aud is the toughest place to play in hockey (I'm not disagreeing with you, tho I've never been to a game there). As has been discussed in other threads, that is probably one of the reasons why they didn't get more votes - they played Neumann twice at home where, according to you, Neumann was at a disadvantage because of the crowd. Anyways, I think it may be possible that Utica gets a taste of their own medicine on Saturday night, especially Luckow. Oswego has only had 1 regular season home game thus far and the crowd was tremendous, particularly the student section. The only times I've seen a livelier student section in the Campus Center were for the Plattsburgh game the last 3 seasons. I don't know if the crowd got to Tuttle at all in that 3rd period when the dam broke, but they sure did everything they could to rattle him - something that Luckow had better be prepared for as he'll be surrounded by the students for 2 periods.

Anywho, there's some feedback for you. Should be a good one on Saturday.
          Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
          08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
          2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
            Ranking pep bands is just cruel. They're out there just trying to give people a good show and get the crowd riled up. I wouldn't want to destroy anybody's confidence by ranking them...
            You aren't capable of destroying anyone's confidence.
            “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
            19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Just so long as fornax writes the foreword to the memoirs.
              So who writes the translation so we can understand it?
              Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
              2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
              2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
              Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Webb. Illustrated, of course.
                Last edited by Hammer; 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
                  Confirmed.

Speaking of Guru, where has he been? The absence of him and cheery has made this place like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...minus the peanut butter and jelly. Just no squishy goodness to go with the dry crusty exterior.
                  Ta-dah ... ask and you shall receive.
                  Hey Webb, does that make me the PB or the J?

Yeah, it's been tough time-wise so far this season, but I will be back on a more regular basis fairly soon (Sorry to upset anyone with that news).

I know of a few times - amazingly even PRIOR to Adrian's arrival - where there were two teams in the poll (poll/RV), but three of them is definitely a first.

Great to see...
                  MCHA GURU: No. 13 over No. 4 in the 2009 T.O.P. ... PRICELESS

Comment

"Welcome back...your dreams were your ticket out..."
                    Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                    2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                    2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                    Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      livin right smack dab in the middle of manahttan...hells kitchen area..

Nicee man i live in the summers with my grandma in the city,I'm downtown on Chambers street.
                      Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
                      Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                      Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
                      2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
                      2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
                        First, let me say that I do not expect a beating. If Oswego wins by more than 3 goals I will be pleasantly surprised.

But if you look at it this way, perhaps you'll see why some are anticipating a blow out. Oswego is averaging over 5 goals a game and the Lakers are only giving up an average of 2 a game. Utica is also averaging 5+ goals a game, but is giving up a goal and half more a game than the Lakers thus far.

I would venture to say that Luckow is going to have to play better on Saturday than what he has so far this year with his 3.39 GAA and .896 SV%. I don't know if you were alluding to him being hot this year or not, but I don't see Utica pulling off the upset if he stops fewer than 90% of the shots he sees.

Finally, I know how much you love to say the Aud is the toughest place to play in hockey (I'm not disagreeing with you, tho I've never been to a game there). As has been discussed in other threads, that is probably one of the reasons why they didn't get more votes - they played Neumann twice at home where, according to you, Neumann was at a disadvantage because of the crowd. Anyways, I think it may be possible that Utica gets a taste of their own medicine on Saturday night, especially Luckow. Oswego has only had 1 regular season home game thus far and the crowd was tremendous, particularly the student section. The only times I've seen a livelier student section in the Campus Center were for the Plattsburgh game the last 3 seasons. I don't know if the crowd got to Tuttle at all in that 3rd period when the dam broke, but they sure did everything they could to rattle him - something that Luckow had better be prepared for as he'll be surrounded by the students for 2 periods.

Anywho, there's some feedback for you. Should be a good one on Saturday.

The only thing i have to say is that Luckow is better than what the numbers show.Other than that,very well said and thanks for the feedback.I agree on 99.9% of the things you stated.Should be very interesting Saturday night.Utica is definitly going to get a taste of their own medicine.
                        Last edited by Pioneers#1; 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Just because i don't know,who is the starting goalie for Oswego St.??? does he have swine flu or something? and what are his numbers this year so far? (GAA,Save% etc...)

Comment

Just because i don't know,who is the starting goalie for Oswego St.??? does he have swine flu or something? and what are his numbers this year so far? (GAA,Save% etc...)
                            Not sure who will be in net come this weekend. Beckwith started the first four games, then Kyle Gunn-Taylor took over last weekend as Beckwith was said to be sick. One of my friends said he saw Beckwith walking around campus already this week - not sure what that means, if anything.

Here are their stats.
                            Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                            08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                            2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Just by looking at the Stats,It looks like Kyle Gunn-Taylor is the probable to start on Saturday night against Utica College...soley because he has the better stats.......who usually is the starter for Oswego St. though?

Comment

Nicee man i live in the summers with my grandma in the city,I'm downtown on Chambers street.
                                cool place to b

Comment

Working...
                                X