Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Clarkson & St. Lawrence (11/13, 11/14)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI & Union @ Clarkson & St. Lawrence (11/13, 11/14)

The dreaded North Country trip.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI & Union @ Clarkson & St. Lawrence (11/13, 11/14)

RPI goes north 2-0 in the league. At this moment, Union is 3-2 over Yale with 9:00 left in the 3rd.
    Here we come!

Comment

We've earned at least a point each of the past 5 years. We swept back in 04-05. Last year was crazy with an awesome win at St. Lawrence and a very disappointing loss at Clarkson that probably turned the tide for the season.

Clarkson got burned with a 0-point weekend in their visit to Q and NJ. They'll come out on fire on Friday, no doubt. A quick goal to silence the crowd will be crucial.

I'll wait til the Friday game comes to pass before offering insight to our game against the Saints.
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

The North Country Trip will tell us a lot about this team. Great momentum going in-just have to avoid getting into a penalty filled game up there. We have only swept the 2 games up there 3 or 4 times in over 50 years-Go Red!
        Last edited by DrDemento; 11-08-2009, 07:03 AM.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Well, here's the scoop. Clarkson is 3-0-0 at home, 0-6-0 on the road. If you want to beat them, just escape the first period either tied or leading -- they are abysmal in the 2nd (5 gf, 15 ga) and about even in the 3rd (7 gf, 8ga not counting ENG).

Hopefully they can drum up some home cooking. I listened to Quinnipiac and watched most of the Princeton game, and they are a team that generates tons of chances. If Clarkson can bury some early ones and avoid the stupid costly turnovers (resulted in 2 SHG vs Q, 1 breakaway goal vs P), you've got a lot to worry about.

If you can generate pressure and get Clarkson to take some penalties, our PK is pretty awful right now too... 78% is just not going to cut it. Ever. In any league.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post
            Well, here's the scoop. Clarkson is 3-0-0 at home, 0-6-0 on the road.

Hopefully they can drum up some home cooking.
            I wonder-does any of this have to do with home town reffing? Clarkson always seemed to get the benefit of the doubt at home from the refs in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              I wonder-does any of this have to do with home town reffing? Clarkson always seemed to get the benefit of the doubt at home from the refs in the past.
              Well you should hope that Clarkson has pleny of PP's as they can't put the puck in the ocean while standing on the pier on their PLP (Power Less Play) as we call it now a days.

Team is very frustrating. The coaches vote said this was an 11th place team. Right now they are spot on .
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Some of it can partially be chalked up to the opponents - St. Lawrence (throw out the records), RIT (0-fer outside AHA), and Niagara (0-fer period, although in their defense they've had a rough early schedule and all of one home game). But none of that should matter on Friday. Games at Cheel always require a lot of grind by the visitors.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Here's the real story -- special teams.

Home (including exhibition vs Toronto):
                  PP: 4/16, 25% (8/28, 28.5%)
                  PK: 13/15, 86.7% (26/28, 92.8%)

Away:
                  PP: 5/39, 12.8%
                  PK: 30/40, 75%

A good chunk of those special teams numbers come from a horrible PK showing at MSU over the weekend (11/16, 68.8%), and a rough night at UMD last Saturday (11/15, 73.3%). This weekend's PK (3/4, 75%) is still bad, but at least we took fewer penalties? The power play this weekend was 1/9, 11% with 2 SHG allowed. Personally it sounds to me like one may not have happened with Rufenach in the lineup -- rumor has it that we were running a 5 forward PP when the shorties were scored.

But then you look at the numbers from Cheel and swear this team can't be that bad. The power play definitely generates a lot of chances, they just didn't bury any key goals this weekend. I don't like the new defensive strategy of allowing shots from the outside in order to limit grade A chances -- we're giving up 3.3 goals a game and like 35 shots a game as well. Those long shots are going to take deflections and tips and bite us.

Clarkson hasn't had the benefit of any doubts this season, Dr Demento. We're like 2-for-11 or worse in goal/no-goal referee decisions this year.
                  Last edited by StayPuftMMcu; 11-08-2009, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Here's the real story -- special teams.

Home (including exhibition vs Toronto):
                    PP: 4/16, 25% (8/28, 28.5%)
                    PK: 13/15, 86.7% (26/28, 92.8%)

Away:
                    PP: 5/39, 12.8%
                    PK: 30/40, 75%

A good chunk of those special teams numbers come from a horrible PK showing at MSU over the weekend (11/16, 68.8%), and a rough night at UMD last Saturday (11/15, 73.3%). This weekend's PK (3/4, 75%) is still bad, but at least we took fewer penalties? The power play this weekend was 1/9, 11% with 2 SHG allowed. Personally it sounds to me like one may not have happened with Rufenach in the lineup -- rumor has it that we were running a 5 forward PP when the shorties were scored.

But then you look at the numbers from Cheel and swear this team can't be that bad. The power play definitely generates a lot of chances, they just didn't bury any key goals this weekend. I don't like the new defensive strategy of allowing shots from the outside in order to limit grade A chances -- we're giving up 3.3 goals a game and like 35 shots a game as well. Those long shots are going to take deflections and tips and bite us.

Clarkson hasn't had the benefit of any doubts this season, Dr Demento. We're like 2-for-11 or worse in goal/no-goal referee decisions this year.
                    Thanks for this year's numbers-but I was referring to getting the benefit of the doubt over many past years-I have made the trip up to watch RPI Clarkson several times and it seems we take more penalties up there than any other place-even back in the mid 80's when we had no need to take them. Perhaps the refs have changed over the years and Clarkson does not get the home town cooking they used to? I think we also have gotten called more often than need be in Ithaca.

Comment

I think we also have gotten called more often than need be in Ithaca.
                      Well, we all know the reason for that.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

...If you can generate pressure and get Clarkson to take some penalties, our PK is pretty awful right now too... 78% is just not going to cut it. Ever. In any league.
                        I'm pretty sure we're capable of generating some pressure...
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

If you can generate pressure and get Clarkson to take some penalties, our PK is pretty awful right now too... 78% is just not going to cut it. Ever. In any league.
                          You think you've got issues? Union's PK "improved" this weekend to 69.8%. We're going to have our hands full as usual up north.

Comment

The North Country has never been an easy trip, but the teams seem to be a little more equal this year.
                            It was good to see RPI finally win a game they were supposed to win on Saturday night.
                            It is still too early to get excited about this year, but two solid performances up north will go a long way to getting the engineer fans on their feet at HFH.
                            On Friday, we finally started cashing in on our opportunities, if we continue to do that, we will be tough to beat anywhere.
                            Will we be getting Helfrich back for this weekend?
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                              You think you've got issues? Union's PK "improved" this weekend to 69.8%. We're going to have our hands full as usual up north.
                              Well, something's gotta give when Union takes a penalty at Cheel.
                              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X