Plattsburgh State Stuns Cortland 5-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plattsburgh State Stuns Cortland 5-1

Tonight's NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey matchup between the Plattsburgh State Cardinals and Cortland Red Dragons started off with some quality hockey. With Cortland demonstrating some serious offensive prowess by scoring a combined thirteen (13) goals in their last two games, Plattsburgh was not going to be tossed a softball...

...or, so it would seem. Check out my thoughts exclusively at http://www.therobbrennan.com/journal...tland-5-1.html

PS - Was it just me, or did it seem like St. Louis was actually in a good mood tonight? I thought I was hallucinating, but he seemed to be smiling and managing to be somewhat competent on the ice

Re: Plattsburgh State Stuns Cortland 5-1

Not to be critical, but I'm not sure how stunning it is when the pre-season #1 gets a solid home win against an unranked opponent.
    Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
    2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
    2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
    Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Not to nit pick Rob, but the goaltender took his helmet off, it was not knocked off. Nor was the throat protector really messed up. One of (looked like 3) strings to hold it on to the face mask had come undone from being hit. The throat protector was still on and attached to the mask. No more so then a leg pad strap coming undone. You don't see goalies tossing their leg pads at the reff when a team is coming down on a 2 on 1 to alert him a strap had come undone. I don't feel sorry for the kid one bit. Unfortunate to be hit in the mask? yes, but that was clearly a delay of game. Maybe not as blatant as others have been (midol boy)m but still a delay of game.
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Ah; no I don't think that's nit picking Remy. I didn't see that; I thought it looked like it came off due to a hit - always good to have eyes other areas of the rink In that case, well I guess I don't feel sorry either.

As far as the unranked opponent goes, I would agree except Cortland usually strikes me as a non-threat - and the fact they were firing in some serious goals seemed a bit unusual. But then again, it is possible both opponents they clobbered had more holes than swiss cheese

Comment

Originally posted by TacoRob View Post
          As far as the unranked opponent goes, I would agree except Cortland usually strikes me as a non-threat - and the fact they were firing in some serious goals seemed a bit unusual. But then again, it is possible both opponents they clobbered had more holes than swiss cheese
          Having watched DIII hockey for 10+ years, it seems that the usual series of events when a marginal team faces a 'really good' team goes as follows:

First Period: Marginal team hangs in there, getting some decent opportunities during the period, looks like they could possibly do something here tonight.

Second Period: Ice is starting to slope towards the offensive zone of the 'really good' team, shots are unbalanced, good team scores 1 or 2 more goals than the marginal team.

Third Period: It's over. No legs left in margin team, 'really good' team is controlling all aspects of the game. Final score, 5-1.

Now all this is subject to change if the marginal teams goalie has his game on and keeps his team in it. But I've seriously seen this scenario about 60 times.
          Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
          2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
          2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
          2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
          "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Working...
          X