Best Rivalry in College Hockey???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Rivalry in College Hockey???

So there is a thread out there that proclaims the Minn vs. Wisc to be the "greatest rivalry"...I bet we can come up with some others that would argue against that supposition. In my own experience I'd nominate: Clarkson v. St. Lawrence. Why you ask? Well with 178 games contested between the two and a series going back to 1925 these two school, which are only a mere 10 miles apart, fiercely compete for North Country bragging rights. Or what about Cornell v. Harvard? A rivalry dating back to 1910 and has a movie line to boot. Others??
    Lets Go Tech!!!
    Clarkson ==> all time winningest Div 1 program.

Re: Best Rivalry in College Hockey???

Originally posted by LGT '84 View Post
    So there is a thread out there that proclaims the Minn vs. Wisc to be the "greatest rivalry"...I bet we can come up with some others that would argue against that supposition. In my own experience I'd nominate: Clarkson v. St. Lawrence. Why you ask? Well with 178 games contested between the two and a series going back to 1925 these two school, which are only a mere 10 miles apart, fiercely compete for North Country bragging rights. Or what about Cornell v. Harvard? A rivalry dating back to 1910 and has a movie line to boot. Others??
    No way its an EZAC matchup. Its either Minn-UW, UND-Minn, or BC-BU. Though Mich-Mich St. really hate each other too.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Why not ECAC? Just because there may be stronger leagues don't neccessarily make for better rivalries... To wit...Army v. Navy football. Easy to find a better football game...never will you find a better rivalry.
      Lets Go Tech!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        No way its an EZAC matchup. Its either Minn-UW, UND-Minn, or BC-BU. Though Mich-Mich St. really hate each other too.
        Sue/Gophs. End of thread.

Comment

Well, conference by conference:

WCHA- Minnesota/WI
          CCHA- MSU/Michigan
          ECAC- Clarkson/SLU
          HEA- BC/BU

The winner of course is St, Clooud vs #26 Union with runners up being MTU vs Bye and UND against the beast that is Canisius.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I guess I should edit the thread to WHY X v. Y is the Best Rivalty in College Hockey. Just proclaiming it so doesn't make it so...
            Lets Go Tech!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              Well, conference by conference:

WCHA- Minnesota/North Dakota
              CCHA- MSU/Michigan
              ECAC- Clarkson/SLU
              HEA- BC/BU

The winner of course is St, Clooud vs #26 Union with runners up being MTU vs Bye and UND against the beast that is Canisius.
              Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                WCHA- Minnesota/WI
                While I agree people from Minnesota and Wisconsin really don't like each other, I say UND is a bigger one. All they have is college hockey, so their hatred bottles up for one sport. Also, doesn't one team have to win more than 37% of the games in order for it to be considered a great rivalry?

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Fire Walt Kyle vs. Fire Timmay
                  NCAA vs. Adrian
                  UAH vs. club status
                  oops ... also
                  UND vs. PC (not Providence)
                  Last edited by owslachief; 11-05-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

It AIN'T Minnesota-Wisconsin, that's for darn sure.

Remember the year, not too long ago, when the Gophers and Badgers met in the third place game of the WCHA Final Five and the Gophers "had nothing to play for," so they called the game meaningless and took the game off and got whooped by Wisconsin, who came to play a rival. The Gophers went on, I believe, to one of their NCAA performances that make Sioux fans buy tee shirts and hockey jerseys of teams they probably never heard of before!

So, if a team can flat out take off a game against a "rival," it sure can't be the best rivalry in all of the sport!

Comment

I guess I should edit the thread to WHY X v. Y is the Best Rivalty in College Hockey. Just proclaiming it so doesn't make it so...
                      So... other than the 10 mile thing, looks like you got some 'splainin' to do...

Comment

If neither Minnesota-Wisconsin nor Minnesota-UND can be definitively said to even be Minnesota's biggest rivalry, I don't see how it can even be argued that either is the biggest in all of college hockey.
                        Cornell University Men's Hockey
                        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          If neither Minnesota-Wisconsin nor Minnesota-UND can be definitively said to even be Minnesota's biggest rivalry, I don't see how it can even be argued that either is the biggest in all of college hockey.
                          Arrogance.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                            You can't discredit their rivalries because they have more than one.

Comment

Why not ECAC? Just because there may be stronger leagues don't neccessarily make for better rivalries... To wit...Army v. Navy football. Easy to find a better football game...never will you find a better rivalry.
                              Better Rivalry- Michigan VS Ohio State...I bet most would agree with me
                              www.catchattv.org - The UP's #1 sports show

Comment

Working...
                              X