Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Rivalry in College Hockey???

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Careful, I said that a year ago and got burned at the stake.
    You got better?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      When I was real young and started going to Gophers games (first game at age 5), I always had the impression the Gophers were the center of the universe...
      And that's changed how? Don't all Gopher fans feel that way? Isn't it a requirement? State of hockey and all...

Just kidding, I get your larger point and I still wonder how any talented player would go to any WCHA school other than ours. I wouldn't even need to get off the plane in Grand Forks on a recruiting trip and I'd be like, we're outta here. Why would anyone CHOOSE to live in that wasteland when they could live in Madison or the Cities?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Careful, I said that a year ago and got burned at the stake.
        You've held up surprisingly well.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I'm glad I instigated such an argument by starting the Badgers vs Goofers thread. Is it fair to say the trio of UND-UW-UM is the greatest rivalry in college hockey? UW and UND have a heck of a rivalry as well. It's almost like a love triangle.
          Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            It's North Dakota! You have a tree, and a hockey team. Well, I would love to destroy one of your signs of hope. And no, it's not the tree.
            Aw, good for them, when did they get that tree?
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
              I'm glad I instigated such an argument by starting the Badgers vs Goofers thread. Is it fair to say the trio of UND-UW-UM is the greatest rivalry in college hockey? UW and UND have a heck of a rivalry as well. It's almost like a love triangle.
              Love...

When Minnesota is here with all their fat guy 25 year old fans wearing those horrible jerseys(especially love the neon-urine alternate), spelling out their state and all the other stupid things they do, I'm sure that I hate them more than anything in this whole wide world.

Then, the mullets show up and I have to rethink things.

I hate them both, but I hate the Gophers more and that's probably because of the other layers that go into that rivalry. Football, basketball, Vikings, Twins, endless prairie, black flies, Minnesotans, etc.

Badgers Sweep and bring the pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Love...

When Minnesota is here with all their fat guy 25 year old fans wearing those horrible jerseys(especially love the neon-urine alternate), spelling out their state and all the other stupid things they do, I'm sure that I hate them more than anything in this whole wide world.

I hate them both, but I hate the Gophers more and that's probably because of the other layers that go into that rivalry. Football, basketball, Vikings, Twins, endless prairie, black flies, Minnesotans, etc.

It would really **** them off if you started spelling "Wisconsin" after every goal. Try it.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

It would really **** them off if you started spelling "Wisconsin" after every goal. Try it.
                  Na. We'll just chant, "One, two, three, four, five, six, WE WANT MORE!"
                  Wisconsin - The real State of hockey.

Comment

Love...

The bolded coming from a WI fan. *ing hilarious.

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
                    Na. We'll just chant, "One, two, three, four, five, six, WE WANT MORE!"

Yay, you can count.

As for the MN/UND/WI thing, it's not even citie/s (like BU-BC, SLU-Clarkson). It's STATES. Even tUMD, SCSU, and MSU-M fans hate WI and UND. They're not necessarily cheering FOR UMN, but.....

I mean, come on. It's Wisconsin. And North Dakota. They are actually considered "states."
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                      Even dopier than the gopher rouser, when Iowa was in Madison a couple of weeks ago for football they were doing it too. All four letters. It was an impressive showing by their best and brightest.

Comment

woog vs. whiskey

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          I don't think I could reasonably claim that Cornell-Harvard is the biggest rivalry in college hockey in view of the fact that a large portion of Harvard fans would say their biggest rival (even in hockey) is Yale and not Cornell.
                          From what I've seen around here, when Harvard has a winning streak against Cornell, Cornell is their rival. When Cornell has the upper hand, Yale is their rival.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            The bolded coming from a WI fan. *ing hilarious.
                            Not a lot of mullets or rednecks here in Madison, but go to Milwaukee and all bets are off. As far as what they show on TV at the Packer games, I cannot defend those people in any way.

But we're not talking about Milwaukee or Green Bay. Those are the peasants and worker bees.

How's THAT for arrogance?

Comment

Not a lot of mullets or rednecks here in Madison, but go to Milwaukee and all bets are off. As far as what they show on TV at the Packer games, I cannot defend those people in any way.

But we're not talking about Milwaukee or Green Bay. Those are the peasants and worker bees.

How's THAT for arrogance?
                              Please. I wouldn't even consider those people to be functioning human beings. St Cloud is a better city than any city in WI, and your typical St Cloudian has more tattoos than teeth (and that's just the women!) and an IQ of gray.

Believe me, I've been in, through, and around WI (save for Madison...why the heck would I want to go to WI's "headquarters"?!) and there's a LOT of people who look like this (this was the first image under Google search for "typical Packer fan" btw):

*****http://beargoggleson.com/files/2009/09/fat-packer-fan.jpg******
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

For me, DU vs. CC is the best rivarly. Can't beat it. Especially a couple years back when both teams were top 5 nationally, played 4 regular season games, shared the MacNaughton, played for the Broadmoor championship with DU winning, and played in the Frozen Four with DU winning again

Rivalries such as Clarkson/SLU, Tech/Northern, RPI/Union, Maine/UNH, Cornell/Harvard, etc. fall into a simliar boat.

But, if you are arguing "best" rivalry in all of college hockey, to me, the deciding factor has to incorporate national/regional interest. This doesn't mean that the fans of those particular schools are any more passionate, hate eachother more, the games are any better, or mean anything more to those fans than the fans of lesser known rivalries.

With that said, I'd have to put the top 4 as BU/BC, UND/Minn, Wisc/Minn, Mich/Mich St. The top spot is interchangeable each year depending on how each team is doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X