Bentley U vs Air Force November 6/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bentley U vs Air Force November 6/7

I know there is a thread on Atlantic Hockey Conference and predictions but let's get some discussion about these two games.

Air Force was picked to win the conference but has not played up to that billing. They have lots of talent and will be home again.

Bentley is coming off a split with Mercyhurst playing well Friday but losing 6-2 on Saturday, both games at home.

I think most would pick USAF to come away with both games this weekend. Goaltending will be key as will defense. They will be close games if Bentley plays the way they can and their main strength (goaltending and D) is evident throughout both games.

Re: Bentley U vs Air Force November 6/7

If AF has not lived up to expectations, it can be said that Bentley has thus far surpassed them. They lost two one-goal games against ranked teams, on the road, to start the season, beat UConn, and split with a good Mercyhurst squad.

Freshman Dan Koudy's has had a pretty good start to his college career with 7 points in 5 games. Immediate impact like that is the difference between a successful vs. "rebuilding" season.

The thought was that the defense would be more involved in scoring, but that has yet to play out.

AF will probably see both goalies as they are still rotating night-to-night.

This will be Bentley's first "true" road trip of more than two hours. That and the altitude are my only real concerns. The good crowds at AF are not as much a concern as evidenced by their solid performance in front of big crowds to start the year. Heck, if I were them, I would relish it since they never get them at home.
    Bentley University Hockey
    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
      If AF has not lived up to expectations, it can be said that Bentley has thus far surpassed them. They lost two one-goal games against ranked teams, on the road, to start the season, beat UConn, and split with a good Mercyhurst squad.

Freshman Dan Koudy's has had a pretty good start to his college career with 7 points in 5 games. Immediate impact like that is the difference between a successful vs. "rebuilding" season.

The thought was that the defense would be more involved in scoring, but that has yet to play out.

This will be Bentley's first "true" road trip of more than two hours. That and the altitude are my only real concerns. The good crowds at AF are not as much a concern as evidenced by their solid performance in front of big crowds to start the year. Heck, if I were them, I would relish it since they never get them at home.
      All good points.

I noted that the Lakers were aware of Dan Koudys and delivered him some punishing checks in both games this past weekend. Senior D Bobby Preece was the recipient of the 5-min major to Noble for running him from behind into the boards early in the first period on Saturday night, which sent Preece to the bench until a few minutes into the second period, but he was not the same player the rest of the game. A phony "make up" 5-min major against Ryan Kayfes midway through the second period really hurt Bentley for the remainder of the game, as they benefit by skating three solid pairs of D with about equal time, although Preece usually gets additional minutes at the point on the PP. Bentley will need to stay out of the box to stay in the games this coming weekend, and hope for some opportunistic chances on offense, which is not going to come easy in the early part of this season, I think. Still not sure why Dustin Cloutier and Brendan Harrison were not suited this past weekend.

After losing 5-1 and 8-2 in the Springs, Bentley played AF well in both home games (L 3-2, W 4-1) and their AHA semi-finals game (L 2-0) last season.

There was actually a decent crowd, as large as I have seen in many years, at the JAR this past Friday night, although many left after the second period. Hardly anyone showed up for the Saturday night game, perhaps because there was a Halloween party on campus?

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post

Actually Air force is not rotating goalies...they're sticking with Volks...he had a couple of rough games because of a very poor early defense.

We lost 5 great players last year but brought in some outstanding freshman...it took them several games to get the lines working well...defense has been a major issue...way too soft. That was addressed and things are looking good. You may not know this, but we had two players (seniors) who were injured early, but now are at "full strength".

Regardless, it should be a very good series to watch...I'll be at both games. My initial feeling is that AF will control the puck and get more shots, but both games will be close.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
          Actually Air force is not rotating goalies...they're sticking with Volks...he had a couple of rough games because of a very poor early defense.
          I was referring to AF "seeing" both Bentley goalies. My bad.
          Bentley University Hockey
          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Game one ends in a 3-3 draw. After getting behind 3-1 AFA made a nice run to tie it up. By the third period it sounded like the thin Colorado air was getting to the Bentley players as they apparently were dragging it pretty good by the end of the game.
            Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
            2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

A...defense has been a major issue...way too soft. That was addressed and things are looking good. You may not know this, but we had two players (seniors) who were injured early, but now are at "full strength".
              D traditionally takes the longest to develop at all levels. My view is that if AFA can hang in there for the first half of the season while steadily improving (which they are doing so far), the young players will have it all figured out for a second half run.

Bentley is very tough so far this year, so I'll take the point and hope for two Saturday.
              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
              -dggoddard

Comment

We lost 5 great players last year but brought in some outstanding freshman...it took them several games to get the lines working well...defense has been a major issue...way too soft.
                First part also true for Bentley this season, but not the second two parts, as Bentley's freshmen and D have been doing great for so early in the season. Will be interesting to see how Air Force does back in Watertown on their mid-January visit, where they split last February. I think Bentley takes both games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  First part also true for Bentley this season, but not the second two parts, as Bentley's freshmen and D have been doing great for so early in the season. Will be interesting to see how Air Force does back in Watertown on their mid-January visit, where they split last February. I think Bentley takes both games this year.
                  Bentley seems to be playing pretty well so far, and AFA seems to be improving each week. If Bentley had a real home ice advantage I might give them a better chance, but as is, I don't see them sweeping AFA that weekend. In any case, I plan on being there to watch what happens.
                  Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                  -dggoddard

Comment

Working...
                  X