Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Maine 2009 season thread:The Revenge of TIMMAY!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official Maine 2009 season thread:The Revenge of TIMMAY!!!

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    Also, I think it was rufus who pointed out that Darling was not sharp. He had to go way out of his crease during scrambles to poke pucks to the side boards. I have a feeling that BC would have scored on some of those... StLawrence's ONLY goal came on one of darlings trips to the end of Ben's old 25 foot leash... He could not get back anywhere near in time to make a second save after he slid way out of position.
    He has strayed a little at Alfond but nothing like Bishop would do. Plus, wouldn't a 5-0 lead make you lose a little concentration?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

...........Also, I think it was rufus who pointed out that Darling was not sharp. He had to go way out of his crease during scrambles to poke pucks to the side boards. I have a feeling that BC would have scored on some of those... StLawrence's ONLY goal came on one of darlings trips to the end of Ben's old 25 foot leash... He could not get back anywhere near in time to make a second save after he slid way out of position.
      I prefer not to be so critical and negative. Maine won the game. Maine won the game by 9 goals. Enjoy the win and the experience of winning as a fan. Who knows what tomorrow may bring. Enjoy the present time. Good advice for life in general, now that I think about it.

Comment

Sounds like a great weekend for the Bears. I hope the team continues to improve. I think this year's team has way more potential than last year's, but I think references to them being a top 10 team are a bit premature. I remembered last year's discussion on how Maine had done in the 1st half and how they would fair in the 2nd half of the season. Granted, this discussion took place over Christmas 08 and there are several games between now and Christmas 09. I included the web address to the 08 discussion below. While I want to be optimistic, last year was not that long ago:

[URL="http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=80927&page=4"]
        Last edited by Potato in NH; 11-30-2009, 11:39 AM. Reason: inability to get link to work.

Comment

What is all this nonsense talk about "winning"?

I'll take this nice gift, but show some Consistency all the way to end of the season, so's I can change the signature

Comment

Originally posted by Potato in NH View Post
            Sounds like a great weekend for the Bears. I hope the team continues to improve. I think this year's team has way more potential than last year's, but I think references to them being a top 10 team are a bit premature. I remembered last year's discussion on how Maine had done in the 1st half and how they would fair in the 2nd half of the season. Granted, this discussion took place over Christmas 08 and there are several games between now and Christmas 09. I included the web address to the 08 discussion below. While I want to be optimistic, last year was not that long ago:

[URL="http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=80927&page=4"]
            my original comment about Maine getting some national recognition and a potential ranking at 15th to 10th was in the context of Bemidji getting 2 number 1 votes after not having played a single good team, but having a great record (11-1 at the time)... now Bemidji has won and lost this weekend against two good teams, so I am pretty sure they will lose their number 1 votes.

Maine had not even been "others receiving votes"
            After beating UVM at 7, BU, mistakenly at 7, tieing BC at about number 10, beating State, currently in the top 10, beating Lowell who had 2 number 1 votes and was at third... the 2 losses to Union have got to be forgotten by the pollsters, and Maine has got to crack the top 20... Maine's strength of schedule is in the very top of the country so far, that has got to count for something.

mediocre teams do not beat D-1 opponents 10-1, EVER.

all I was saying is that the pollsters ought to rank maine in a decent spot THIS WEEK

Comment

Some of you may have seen this in USCHO news thread. There is a new venture called College Hockey Inc. Jack Parker and Ted Donato were at Harvard for the press conference. Here's more info from the Boston Globe.

There were some interesting remarks made by Jack Parker at the news conference held at Harvard. He was there along with Ted Donato. Parker says that college hockey needs a strong advocate to compete against Canadian Junior hockey. "Some of the propaganda coming out of those junior programs is unbelievable", said Parker. "And it's beyond belief what propaganda people will swallow if they think they can get to the NHL". In addition, Parker said he tells all of his recruits that he would bet the mortgage on his house that 90-95% of them who choose junior hockey will not make it to the NHL. Pretty safe bet, as I doubt Parker has a mortgage on his house. Anyway, I like his approach.

Comment

The Poll...its almost hilarious.....makes no difference to me whether ME is in it or not, but Quinnipiac at #4? I almost rolled out of my chair laughing at that one. Sure they beat a disinterested UMass team last week, but if you watched the game you could see it was like the men playing boys. UMass played their #2 goalie and went through the motions in the first period, then woke up and decided to pummel the Q. Q was very lucky to get the W in ot. It really was a considerable difference in talent. Yeah, I know, its all about the wins and losses, but geeezus, thats a joke.
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that Maine did not get a single vote in the recent poll. That's o.k. though, polls don't really mean anything. It is an indicator though in determining how far Maine has fallen in the "eyes of the hockey world".

Comment

my original comment about Maine getting some national recognition and a potential ranking at 15th to 10th was in the context of Bemidji getting 2 number 1 votes after not having played a single good team, but having a great record (11-1 at the time)... now Bemidji has won and lost this weekend against two good teams, so I am pretty sure they will lose their number 1 votes.

Maine had not even been "others receiving votes"
                    After beating UVM at 7, BU, mistakenly at 7, tieing BC at about number 10, beating State, currently in the top 10, beating Lowell who had 2 number 1 votes and was at third... the 2 losses to Union have got to be forgotten by the pollsters, and Maine has got to crack the top 20... Maine's strength of schedule is in the very top of the country so far, that has got to count for something.

mediocre teams do not beat D-1 opponents 10-1, EVER.

all I was saying is that the pollsters ought to rank maine in a decent spot THIS WEEK
                    nice poll.
                    BU gets a vote.
                    Bemidji still gets 2 number ones after losing to ohio state.

Well at least Maine cannot possibly get fat heads because of their being overrated in the polls.

Sweep PC!

Comment

Well at least Maine cannot possibly get fat heads because of their being overrated in the polls.
                      This poll is actually a good thing at this point in the season. I guess they'd need to sweep Miami at Miami to get a sniff at a vote....lol.
                      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

If they sweep PC, I think they'll earn some votes. Until then, they're still under .500! But it sure looks like they're trending up! Big weekend at home.

This in the St. Pete Times Lightning blog:

Mostly because the glut, for now, is keeping Smaby off the ice and a good defenseman like Lundin down in the minors. Smaby has yet to play an NHL game this season . Lundin was sent back to the minors despite playing very well in four games with Tampa Bay in which he was minus-2 and averaged 16:59 in ice time.

In fact, Tocchet had great things to say about him: "He's a strong player. He can get underneath people and throw people around. He's chased down some of the best players in the world in (Ilya) Kovalchuk and (Marian) Gaborik. His poke check is as good as (Victor) Hedman. He's got a very good stick. ... He's an NHL defenseman."

But he also has a two-way contract and does not have to clear re-entry waivers waivers, so until the blue line is cleared out some, he will stay in the minors, it seems.

Who taught him that poke check? TIMMMMAAAAAAAY!!!!! ;-)
                        Last edited by lkenney; 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I just read on the BDN website that Whitehead was not at practice at all this past week?

is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            I'm a little surprised that Maine did not get a single vote in the recent poll. That's o.k. though, polls don't really mean anything. It is an indicator though in determining how far Maine has fallen in the "eyes of the hockey world".
                            I'm not shocked.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I just read on the BDN website that Whitehead was not at practice at all this past week?

is that true?
                              What you read was from a poster and not from Larry. And even if that is the case and he was out recruiting what does that mean?

I get a kick out of all the new implementations Tim has put in, like he has been reading this forum and you all know more than he does. Much of it had more to do with his talent or lack thereof on the ice! His teams that made it to the Frozen Fours forechecked, crashed the net etc. The simple truth of the matter is the last 2 years (and Tim deserves some of the blame) we did not have good classes or players with proper character. Tim's teams at Lowell were teams that always fought 'til the last second.

IF (and it still is an if) this team demonstrates that they are a contender, I hope you all will end this lynch mob mentality and enjoy watching them.

Comment

As Yogi said........just win baby (or something like that).

Comment

Working...
                                X