Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concussion Prevention in Hockey - Hockey Helmets

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmana...?z=28&a=421306

League officials (NHL GM's for example) are focusing on rule changes to preventing blows to the head but legal hits are also causing injuries. What about raising the standards for hockey helmets?

My hockey helmet that is older than most players playing the game now and probably isn't up to par anymore but it seems that technology has not changed much lately and that hockey players are more concerned with style than with protecting their heads.

Any comments on the newer supposedly safer helmets such as the new Cascade M11? Other than they make your head look bigger?http://www.cascadeicehockey.com/
    Any other good helmets out there?
    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Re: Concussion Prevention in Hockey - Hockey Helmets

Just a side note. A study a few years ago showed that the foam in the helmets should be changed at least once during the season. The perspiration interacts with the foam and breaks down the overall ability to do what it was meant to do.
    I recommend watching the piece that CBC did on head injuries due to sports. It may widen your view. http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2008-2009/head_games/
    He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Besides helmet ..get a good mouthguard.

I know there's debate on this.. but this helps absorb 'x' % of the hit, no question.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I will always stick with the old ones. I have had the same helmet since like Peewees and have never had a concussion. Also, the new ones may be more safe but they look kinda lame. It's sort of like wearing your guitar pretty low. It may be harder to play but ****, it looks cool.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          Besides helmet ..get a good mouthguard.

I know there's debate on this.. but this helps absorb 'x' % of the hit, no question.
          There's a great deal of evidence that properly fitted mouthguards do help in preventing head injuries. Athletes in a lot of sports are wearing them for more than just the teeth/mouth protection they offer. Baseball players, even race car drivers are sporting them nowadays. No doubt they help.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
            [url]Any comments on the newer supposedly safer helmets such as the new Cascade M11? Other than they make your head look bigger?http://www.cascadeicehockey.com/
            Any other good helmets out there?
            Should be interesting to see the Cascade M11's in full action here at Harvard where everyone has them thanks to the Messier Project and Cascade. Really hopeful they pass their test with flying colors- actually they hopefully have no reason to be put to the test.

For a little more about Harvard's involvement with the Project, and a link to a clip of Mark Messier's interview about the project click here.
            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

There would be a lot fewer head injuries if the league exterminated the Missing Link playing in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                Should be interesting to see the Cascade M11's in full action here at Harvard where everyone has them thanks to the Messier Project and Cascade. Really hopeful they pass their test with flying colors- actually they hopefully have no reason to be put to the test.

For a little more about Harvard's involvement with the Project, and a link to a clip of Mark Messier's interview about the project click here.
                Messier looks like he is always wearing the M11. Even when he isn't. I think it is a conspiracy to get everyone to look like him.

*****http://www.cascadeicehockey.com/images/home-mid2.png******
                KBranch

Comment

Working...
                X