MSU Spartan recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU Spartan recruiting

Just wanted to start this up again under a different title - (hated the previous one). Now that its November I anticipate some signings ... so far MSU's inked one player for next October that I know of (see below). With only 4 seniors (2 regulars) and possibly one defecting junior this season and a fairly large, talented roster, don't look for 2010-11 to be key - it's the next season that worries me.

Austin Czarnik (2011) is considered an elite player, but he was drafted by Windsor (OHL) and pulled out of his verbal commitment. That is not to say that, now that MSU's got something good going for the moment, he's prevented from reconsidering ... it just doesn't happen that often. I didn't list anyone whose scholarship was pulled or has signed with the major juniors (ie. the McDowells).

Code:
    --2010--
    Name		Pos.	Birthdate	Home Town		Current Team		Height	Weight	Status	Previous Team	
    ----		----	---------	---------		------------		------	------	------	-------------
    Brent Darnell	C	3/23/1992	Canton, Michigan	Sioux Falls (USHL)	5'11	186	Verbal	USNTDP U17	**
    Michael Gunn	D	5/11/1992	Livonia, Michigan	Chicago (USHL)		6'2	180	Verbal	St. Louis (NAHL)	**
    David Johnstone	RW	11/26/1991	Grand Ledge, Michigan	Indiana (USHL)		6'0	170	Verbal	Traverse City (NAHL)	**
    Andrew Sinelli	F	3/23/1992	Dexter, Michigan	Sioux City (USHL)	5'10	165	Verbal	Honeybaked AAA	**
    Willie Yanakeff	G	4/30/1992	Jerome, Michigan	Sioux City (USHL)	6'2	185	Signed	USNTDP U18	***
    Lee Reimer	C	8/2/1990	Landmark, Manitoba	Canmore (AJHL)		6'0	170	Signed	OCN Blizzard	***

--2011--	
    Austin Czarnik	F	12/12/1992	Washington, Michigan	USNTDP U18		5'7	155	Decommit Belle Tire U16	****
    Grand Ledge native Reid Boucher is a verbal for 2012 and now plays for USNTDP U17, and is very promissing. Too bad he's only a high school sophomore because otherwise he'd make a fine addition to any 2011 class that's put together.

Another one that's mentioned - although he's not thrown his hat into the MSU ring just yet - is Spruce Grove (AJHL) defenseman Dillon Simpson, the son of former MSU and Edmonton Oiler star Craig Simpson. He's supposed to be a real hotshot and wants to play NCAA hockey. One source says Michigan State, Denver and North Dakota have him in their sights.
    Last edited by owslachief; 03-02-2010, 12:43 PM.

Re: MSU Spartan recruiting

A 6' 2" goalie!?! That's a bit of a change from Lerg and Palmisano. Is he any good?

Comment

Originally posted by BlimpGuy View Post
      A 6' 2" goalie!?! That's a bit of a change from Lerg and Palmisano. Is he any good?
      Good enough to earn a spot in the USA U-18 last year -- although there were off-the-ice issues which got him and another player booted last season.
      In his first season at Sioux City of USHL this fall, he's earned goaltender of the week honors and currently carries a 2.82/.911.

MSU had another 6'2 goalie - you may have heard of him

He's now looking for an Olympic spot with Team USA.

Comment

Seeing that I don't think Czarnik's going to be wearing a green and white sweater in two years, Comley really needs to get to rebuilding that 2011 class.

On Yanakeff, well, he's talented. That's all I'm going to say about that. I'm biting my tongue (fingers?) as hard as I can.

The talent level of the 2010 class is ridiculous. I don't know if I'm going to be here to actually see these kids, but I can't wait for them to make it to EL. Good complements to what we have right now.
        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
        66 - 86 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
          Seeing that I don't think Czarnik's going to be wearing a green and white sweater in two years, Comley really needs to get to rebuilding that 2011 class.

On Yanakeff, well, he's talented. That's all I'm going to say about that. I'm biting my tongue (fingers?) as hard as I can.

The talent level of the 2010 class is ridiculous. I don't know if I'm going to be here to actually see these kids, but I can't wait for them to make it to EL. Good complements to what we have right now.
          Yanakeff is one of 2 goaltenders on the US Junior A Challenge team. It's composed of 20 USHL players + a BCHL player.
          http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/...lectRoster.doc

Comment

Lee Reimer and Will Yanakeff

Official Press Release

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan State hockey coach Rick Comley has announced that Lee Reimer (Landmark, Manitoba) and Willie Yanakeff (Jerome, Mich.) have signed National Letters of Intent to play for the Spartans, beginning in the fall of 2010.

“We are excited to add Lee and Willie to the Spartan hockey program,” noted Comley. “Recruiting is not only about finding good players, but also about filling needs on your roster for coming years. We think that both players will bring positive attributes to our program. We currently have a young team, and are excited about adding promising young players to that mix for the coming seasons.”

Reimer (RYE-mer) is a centerman who is playing for the Canmore Eagles of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) and is that team’s leading scorer. Through games of Nov. 16, he has an 18-21-39 scoring line with four power play goals and three shorthanded strikes, which ranks seventh in the AJHL overall. He also ranks fourth in goals and 10th in the league in assists. Reimer, (6-0, 170 lbs) is a strong skater who moves the puck well, and the coaching staff views him as a complete player who will contribute once he adjusts to the speed and strength in the college game.

Yanakeff (YAN-a-keff) spent last year primarily in the US National Team Development Program, and is now playing in Sioux City of the United States Hockey League (USHL). In five games, the 6-2, 185-pound Yanakeff owns a 2.81 GAA and .915 save percentage. Yanakeff is a bigger body than most MSU fans are used to patrolling the crease, but he is technically sound and an excellent athlete. It’s expected that he’ll not only provide depth behind current sophomore Drew Palmisano, but also challenge to continue MSU’s line of excellent goaltenders who rank among the conference’s and nation’s best.

Michigan State will lose four seniors at the end of the 2009-10 season.

Comment

After Ryan Miller passed through I was convinced that big goalies were the best. Then came Jeff Lerg and Drew Pamisano, and now I am just completely confused. I've followed college hockey for 20 years and I feel that I have a pretty good read on the trends of players fitting certain roles...but I just dont believe size has anything to do with ability OR style anymore.
              MICHIGAN STATE
              1966:1986:2007

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                After Ryan Miller passed through I was convinced that big goalies were the best. Then came Jeff Lerg and Drew Pamisano, and now I am just completely confused. I've followed college hockey for 20 years and I feel that I have a pretty good read on the trends of players fitting certain roles...but I just dont believe size has anything to do with ability OR style anymore.
                Nope. And Lerg and Miller shared more in style (stay in net) than Lerg and Palmisano (agressively play the puck).

---------------
                List in post #1 updated.
                Last edited by owslachief; 11-18-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Go back a little bit...Mike Buzak and Chad Alban were part of a two-goalie system where neither goalie shared similar attributes or styles. Buzak stayed in the net almost exclusively, and Alban played the park far too much. MSU has had some of the best goalies in the game, but there has never been any method to the system.
                  MICHIGAN STATE
                  1966:1986:2007

Comment

2009-2010 season progress

Here's an update on 2010 recruits, going into the weekend. The first three are getting their first taste of Jr. A Tier 1 hockey this season.

Pos. Name (year) Team (League) - GP G A P

F Sinelli (R) Sioux City (USHL) - 19 1 8 9
                    F Johnstone (R) Indiana - (USHL) - 17 2 5 7
                    F Darnell (R) Sioux Falls - (USHL) - 14 2 3 5
                    F Reimer (2nd season) Canmore (AJHL) - 33 22 26 48
                    D Gunn (2nd season) Chicago (USHL) - 3 0 1 1

G Yanakeff (R) Sioux City (USHL) 5-3 2.81 .903

Gunn currently has a C-Rating by NHL Central Scouting - a common rating for 2nd-tier USA junior players who are CSS prospects.
                    Yanakeff is the 3rd ranked Jr. A goalie by Central Scouting

Side note:
                    Reid Boucher (2012) is back on the ice for the NTDP after a season-opening injury and has 8 points in 11 games.
                    Last edited by owslachief; 01-21-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Boucher had 4 assists and netted two goals in 6 games in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, concluded last night with a U.S. gold medal.

Both Boucher's goals came in the semi-final win over Sweden; the second was the game-winner in overtime.

A little disconcerting that, according to one acquaintance, Boucher may be wieghing his alternatives if he's a high major junior draft pick next April/May.

Stay tuned ...

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                        Boucher had 4 assists and netted two goals in 6 games in the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, concluded last night with a U.S. gold medal.

Both Boucher's goals came in the semi-final win over Sweden; the second was the game-winner in overtime.

A little disconcerting that, according to one acquaintance, Boucher may be wieghing his alternatives if he's a high major junior draft pick next April/May.

Stay tuned ...
                        There's also the Tyler Biggs friendship and connection who is a verbal to Miami. Or, I could be reading too much into that based on personal bias.
                        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                          There's also the Tyler Biggs friendship and connection who is a verbal to Miami. Or, I could be reading too much into that based on personal bias.
                          He's from Grand Ledge, so it's probably either MSU or the OHL.

He was already drafted by Sarnia last spring so he won't be drafted next spring. Good news/bad news is that he's eligible for the NHL Draft next year, but since he's only in 10th grade, won't go to MSU until 2012-2013. If he did get drafted, I could see an NHL team pushing him towards the OHL route rather than the USHL.

But odds are he won't be drafted or will go very low unless he grows some, and if he isn't drafted, he'd be dumb to go to the OHL. This tournament definitely helps raise his stock, but I think he's benefiting more from his linemates than anything.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                            Nothing would shock me. He's friends with the McDowells too, but I won't panic over that relationship

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              He's from Grand Ledge, so it's probably either MSU or the OHL.

He was already drafted by Sarnia last spring so he won't be drafted next spring. Good news/bad news is that he's eligible for the NHL Draft next year, but since he's only in 10th grade, won't go to MSU until 2012-2013. If he did get drafted, I could see an NHL team pushing him towards the OHL route rather than the USHL.
                              Well - thanks for going easy on me MaizeRage I flat missed that one.

Which now makes me wonder what his statement was about. Then again, I'm hearing about it second-hand.
                              Apparently in the 14th round Sarnia took him, probably so low because of his size**. He deems himself a pure goal scorer, but may not adapt well to the more physical CHL play. Although some recruit MSU is probably losing to Windsor believes he can be successful there and get some notice.
                              However, there is plenty of precedent for his body type to put in a couple / 3 years of college and then achieve his dream. If he goes low in an NHL draft, he may be better off going 4 years at State (unless he truly develops). And then wouldn't we all be happy

--
                              ** Now that I revisit the thought a couple days later, it occurs to me that CHL draft positions get more than a little skewed because of a prospect's firm commitment (or lack thereof) to going the college route. No ****, right?
                              Last edited by owslachief; 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X