MSU Spartan recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartan recruiting

Well scratch David Johnstone from this list. He's decided to become a Yooper.

Comment

MSU verbal Tanner Sorenson is pulling away as Shattuck St. Mary's leading scorer. Through 34 games the soon-to-be-18-year-old has a 32-34-66 line. At 5'8, he's currently ranked #162 in Central Scouting's top North American skaters list for the '11 draft.

Comment

This was certainly NOT the thread i was hoping to see bumped these days but i am relieved to see it's actually positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
          This was certainly NOT the thread i was hoping to see bumped these days but i am relieved to see it's actually positive.
          Nobody's bailed since Tuesday last.

Comment

Maybe when they get a new coach, more will commit... Just sayin'
            "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

any news?
              Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                any news?
                Michael Gunn's back with the Steel playing again. McKeen's is hinting he'll be on the final Central Scouting list for 2011 draft. If I were to bet, I'd say he'll be our 7th D-man at the start of next season.
                Last edited by owslachief; 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                  Michael Gunn's back with the Steel playing again. McKeen's is hinting he'll be on the final Central Scouting list for 2011 draft. If I were to bet, I'd say he'll be our 7th D-man at the start of next season.
                  Thin Stats. Anything else on him.
                  Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Thin Stats. Anything else on him.
                    He's got a Jeff Petry body at 6'2. He started his junior hockey at St. Louis (NAHL) - same as current Spartan Mike Merrifield. He's been regarded for the last 2 years as having a "grade C" NHL draft potential - somewhat uncommon at the NAHL level. Last season he played 3 games for the Steel before a season-ending injury put him on the shelf last January.

He's only been back about 10 games this season. So often - especially for a defenseman, juniors stats are not a good guage of D-1 potential, especially if we're talking about a guy who's not seen action for a year. To know more about him I'd guess you'd have to see him in person (he and the Steel will be in Muskegon playing the Lumberjacks in April). I believe he's from Canton.
                    Last edited by owslachief; 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

He's got a Jeff Petry body at 6'2. He started his junior hockey at St. Louis (NAHL) - same as current Spartan Mike Merrifield. He's been regarded for the last 2 years as having a "grade C" NHL draft potential - somewhat uncommon at the NAHL level. Last season he played 3 games for the Steel before a season-ending injury put him on the shelf last January.

He's only been back about 10 games this season. So often - especially for a defenseman, juniors stats are not a good guage of D-1 potential, especially if we're talking about a guy who's not seen action for a year. To know more about him I'd guess you'd have to see him in person (he and the Steel will be in Muskegon playing the Lumberjacks in April). I believe he's from Canton.
                      maybe I'll see him in Chicago.
                      Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

So who does he jump in front of? There will be
                        three seniors: Buttery, Crandell and Shelgren
                        three juniors: Grassi, Josepher, Grassi
                        one sophomore: Chelios
                        Those 7 guys have played a lot, with Josepher getting in the lineup moving Chelios to the forward side of the game. (It's pretty much stated that his dad wants Jake playing at D, and so it will happen)
                        You will also have a red-shirted senior in Sturges, and sophomore Sandmeyer will be trying to get some ice time.

It could be tough to break into the D lineup next season - of course that depends on the new coach - I honestly think that all 7 of these guys are playing well enough to stay in the lineup. So who does Gunn replace?

Now the following season at least three of the current D will be gone, and perhaps more? I think that he will have another year of juniors available to him? He might want to take that option?
                        Last edited by Nevergoodenough; 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM.
                        "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                          So who does he jump in front of? There will be
                          three seniors: Buttery, Crandell and Shelgren
                          three juniors: Grassi, Josepher, Grassi
                          one sophomore: Chelios
                          Those 7 guys have played a lot, with Josepher getting in the lineup moving Chelios to the forward side of the game. (It's pretty much stated that his dad wants Jake playing at D, and so it will happen)
                          You will also have a red-shirted senior in Sturges, and sophomore Sandmeyer will be trying to get some ice time.

It could be tough to break into the D lineup next season - of course that depends on the new coach - I honestly think that all 7 of these guys are playing well enough to stay in the lineup. So who does Gunn replace?

Now the following season at least three of the current D will be gone, and perhaps more? I think that he will have another year of juniors available to him? He might want to take that option?
                          Unless Sturges really shows something he'll get token playing time as a senior. Sandmeyer hasn't cracked the lineup and who knows if he'll be around at all - or transfer. Watch the new coach put Dean and Jake on a line together.

Comment

Saw him this week. Not impressed, Will sit with Sandemeyer.
                            Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Saw him this week. Not impressed, Will sit with Sandemeyer.
                              Well there you go. An eyewitness account usually beats what you read. I haven't seen him.

Comment

Unless Sturges really shows something he'll get token playing time as a senior. Sandmeyer hasn't cracked the lineup and who knows if he'll be around at all - or transfer. Watch the new coach put Dean and Jake on a line together.
                                I'm in line with you except that, unless the new coach has some major cajones, he'll move Jake back to D because that's where his dad wants him to play, and to be really honest, he's not a bad D'man. (I think he's a better forward, but what I think carries no weight.) That still leaves 7 experienced D men, who wants to come into that? If Gunn has any junior eligiblity he might want to stay another year. 2012 will have a lot of openings, minimum 3, perhaps 5.... on D...

Comment

Working...
                                X