Fighting Sioux name may change - Murphy's law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Sioux name may change - Murphy's law

The new Standing Rock tribal leader, Charles Murphy, appears to have had a change of heart. The name is no longer a priority.

Re: Fighting Sioux name may change - Murphy's law

Originally posted by Jockstock View Post
    The new Standing Rock tribal leader, Charles Murphy, appears to have had a change of heart. The name is no longer a priority.
    I wouldn't call it a change of heart, he's still pro-nickname. He probably just realizes that there are more pressing issues to the tribe then a nickname. A lot of the anti-nickname people could learn from this...
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      I wouldn't call it a change of heart, he's still pro-nickname. He probably just realizes that there are more pressing issues to the tribe then a nickname. A lot of the anti-nickname people could learn from this...
      Really?

They've had ample time to deal with this issue. They could have come right out and said "absolutley not" or "go ahead". Instead they're waffling on levels that rival Brett Favre.

Now it appears instead of a yes or a no it's going to a deadline that does the name in? Preposterous.
      Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Ron His Horse Is Thunder is a way cooler name for a tribal leader than Charles Murphy.
        Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Really?

They've had ample time to deal with this issue. They could have come right out and said "absolutley not" or "go ahead". Instead they're waffling on levels that rival Brett Favre.

Now it appears instead of a yes or a no it's going to a deadline that does the name in? Preposterous.
          Scooby...IIRC there has to be a month's notice of anything like the nickname issue being discussed at a tribal meeting. There are a lot of problems on the reservations that Murphy feels are more important. RHHiT wasn't voted out just because he was anti-nickname...
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

"The University of North Dakota Murphy's Law"?

That's an odd choice of a nickname.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
              Ron His Horse Is Thunder is a way cooler name for a tribal leader than Charles Murphy.
              Rick James takes issue with Charlie Murphy as well...I believe a couch may have been involved.
              A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

I don't have a dog in this hunt. But I am unable to understand why it's considered appropriate for one group of Americans (and a small group at that) to have veto powers over how another and much larger group of Americans expresses itself.

Balkanization of America is not in the best interests of the country or the groups we seek to "protect" from hurt feelings. Thanks to grandstanding Chicago politicians who threatened the university's revenue, Illinois was forced to cave in on the issue of Chief Illiniwek. Iconoclasts everywhere rejoiced, but what had they really accomplished other than ending a harmless tradition revered by tens of thousands?

Similarly, what will be accomplished by ending the Fighting Sioux tradion? Nothing. The iconoclasts, again, will delight in their success but will have destroyed something revered by tens of thousands. Nothing else.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

They've had ample time to deal with this issue.
                  One month is ample time for the new tribal council to decide on the Fighting Sioux nickname?

I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                    One month is ample time for the new tribal council to decide on the Fighting Sioux nickname?

Yes?
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post

That's not really my point and you know it. And yes, they could have taken care of it 5 minutes after they were put in place, instead they're dragging their feet and drawing it to a ridiculous conclusion. The tribal leader appears in his whining about "timetables" and "preconditions" to "want something" out of the negotiations. It's comical at best.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

That's not really my point and you know it.

But know I will act mad and upset so that Jockstock thinks he got under a Sioux fans skin.

In reality, I accepted long ago that the Sioux name will eventually be gone. If it evades "retirement" this time around, the PC police will get it the next time...or the next time...etc. I will support my team regardless of the nickname on their jersey.
                        I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

That's not really my point and you know it. And yes, they could have taken care of it 5 minutes after they were put in place, instead they're dragging their feet and drawing it to a ridiculous conclusion. The tribal leader appears in his whining about "timetables" and "preconditions" to "want something" out of the negotiations. It's comical at best.
                          The SBoHE has done exactly jacksquat in the two years since the settlement with the NCAA. It seems they haven't even tried to work something out with the two tribes. They sat around for an entire year before getting off their fat arses and even addressing this issue. What they did was form a committee of do nothings to discuss the issue and determine how they should try to retain the nickname. This committee sat around, discussed their favorite fishing spots, ate McDonalds and then disbanded having accomplished nothing. Then the SBoHE, having barely lifted a finger towards resolving this issue, set a deadline. The Spirit Lake Tribe met this deadline. The day before this deadline was to expire, the Standing Rock Tribe had elections and a pro nickname person was elected tribal chairman, so the deadline was pushed back a month. Now a month later, with no action from Standing Rock and the SBoHE is chastising them? Wow, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

Since when do things ever get done quickly anywhere? Look at the health care bill. That has been discussed endlessly and where is it at now? At the rate you think the Standing Rock tribe should accomplish things, the health care bill should have been implemented in July. Now sure it would be great if the Standing Rock Tribe just did something one way or the other, but that isn't realistic after one month. That just isn't how things work.

If the SBoHE doesn't extend the deadline again, they are foolish. 95% of UND alumni are in support of the nickname and seemingly a majority of SR residents are as well. Ignoring all of these people just to meet an arbitrary deadline is idiotic.
                          Last edited by Dirty; 11-03-2009, 02:47 PM.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            I don't have a dog in this hunt. But I am unable to understand why it's considered appropriate for one group of Americans (and a small group at that) to have veto powers over how another and much larger group of Americans expresses itself.
                            When that larger group of Americans is pretty much the reason that the smaller group is in fact so small, that kinda makes a difference, does it not?

I guess those pesky African Americans (12.7% a few years ago) should just shut up when the much larger white population calls them something inappropriate?
                            I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post

Balkanization of America is not in the best interests of the country or the groups we seek to "protect" from hurt feelings. Thanks to grandstanding Chicago politicians who threatened the university's revenue, Illinois was forced to cave in on the issue of Chief Illiniwek. Iconoclasts everywhere rejoiced, but what had they really accomplished other than ending a harmless tradition revered by tens of thousands?

Similarly, what will be accomplished by ending the Fighting Sioux tradion? Nothing. The iconoclasts, again, will delight in their success but will have destroyed something revered by tens of thousands. Nothing else.
                              Well said. You may not have a dog in the hunt, but given the history of Boone at DU, you have insight into the bigger picture. The writing has been on the wall for a long time - it looks like the nickname is just about gone. Too bad there isn't a reason other than being PC.
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Working...
                              X