Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fighting Sioux name may change - Murphy's law

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Permission? Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give us all a list of occasions in which one group of Americans requires permission from another group of Americans on their choice of language. Prior censorship, you've heard of it I'm guessing, is not where we want to be in this country. You're advocating pre-emptory capitulation on this issue, which is also not where we want to be, IMHO.

And while you're undoubtedly correct about your grandfather's use of language, that's hardly the point of what's going on now. What's going on now is the assertion that one group of people should be able to control (authorize?) the language used by others. That these words "belong" to one group and cannot be used without permission.

No one is being "used" as a mascot here. Denver Boone is a cartoon character and that didn't stop the PC assault on him. Chief Illiniwek represented a tribe that was wiped out during tribal warfare, that didn't stop the PC assault on him. Is DU supposed get permission from Scrooge McDuck and Archie in order to use Boone? And from whom is Illinois supposed to get permission, given that the Illini Confederation no longer exists?
    Sure, bud, how about simple copyright law, if you want to sell a chair on ebay, don't call it a lazyboy when it isn't. don't call yourself a Fighting Sioux, when your not, either. if you are going to use someone Else's name, either get permission, or be sneaky, and copyright it out from under them. How dumb is it to spend millions of dollars, or in Uncle Ralphies case, hundreds of millions of dollars when you don't own the name?
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      Sure, bud, how about simple copyright law. if you want to sell a chair on ebay, don't call it a lazyboy when it isn't. don't call yourself a Fighting Sioux, when your not, either. if you are going to use someone Else's name, either get permission, or be sneaky, and copyright it out from under them. How dumb is it to spend millions of dollars, or in Uncle Ralphies case, hundreds of millions of dollars, when you don't own the name?
      There's no copyright on the word Sioux, it's in the public domain...Laz-E-Boy is not...
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I've said it before, and I'll say it again my fine feathered finks....
        IT'S ESOTERIC!

Comment

Well, this thread used to be two pages... Did someone pare it down?
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Also, I'm pro-nickname and that's where I'm going to leave it. No use in trying to argue this point...

*****http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png******
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Something else has to be going on that we're not seeing or reading about. Ron His Horse Is Thunder was against the name, and the council voted not to have a referendum...it's not only the SBoHE sitting on their hands, it was the tribal council and still is the tribal council. Why did he not pass a resolution condoning the use of the name and logo?

The SBoHE is absolutely ridiculous. Pushing back a deadline, and now that another extended one has passed, they aren't doing anything. This makes no sense, if it were a real organization that actually meant anything. I have a deadline to make at work, if I don't make it, I get hounded until I get it done, or it doesn't happen and people are out of a lot of money.

Something more HAS to be going on here, I think there's more than meets the eye, however I could be wrong, they could all just be lazy (both SBoHE and the tribal council), or there is something more going on that no one has mentioned or knows about. The longer this drags on, the more it's going to cost, and the more people are going to get PO'd and keep complaining.

Anyone know who is on the nickname committee? They'll pass a $1.5 million deal, however they won't address the nickname that is going to cost probably that amount for UND to replace all logos. Right now, I don't care what the decision is that is made, as long as there is one. I'd hate to see the name and logo (especially the logo) go away, but if people can't do their job and aren't doing their job, there needs to be some uprising or something to get it done. This is ridiculous.
              THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
              1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
              1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
              University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
              University of Oregon Ducks Football
              San Francisco Giants
              Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

After they sold thier souls to Ralph Englestad they should have been addressed as Ralph Englstads University Of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. That being said they should remain the Sioux

Comment

This whole dilemma is absolutely ridiculous. The University of North Dakota's fan base needs to put their collective feet down and say no to this name change. I bet it would cost less to pay the Sioux tribe's a royalty than to completely change the name and logo. THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!

Don't lose the fight and have your mascot replaced by a lame bird!
                  GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi83 View Post
                    This whole dilemma is absolutely ridiculous. The University of North Dakota's fan base needs to put their collective feet down and say no to this name change. I bet it would cost less to pay the Sioux tribe's a royalty than to completely change the name and logo. THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY!!!

Don't lose the fight and have your mascot replaced by a lame bird!
                    Is that what a Flickertail is ?

Comment

HAHA no!!
                      GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Turk 77 View Post
                        Is that what a Flickertail is ?
                        I believe a Flickertail is defined as a Gopher's pimp. So Minnesota's mascot would be our b^tch, just like their hockey team is.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          I believe a Flickertail is defined as a Gopher's pimp. So Minnesota's mascot would be our b^tch, just like their hockey team is.
                          Nope its a squirrel . Unfortunately I think UND is again much better than my Gophers. In fact they look every bit as good as any team that Hakstol has managed to crash land in March the last 5 years .

Comment

Nope its a squirrel.
                            Just like Goldy. I'm still going with the idea that Goldy is a Flickertail's hooker.

Also get your facts straight, other than last year Hakstol has crash landed the team in April, not March.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              Just like Goldy. I'm still going with the idea that Goldy is a Flickertail's hooker.

Also get your facts straight, other than last year Hakstol has crash landed the team in April, not March.
                              April ? You are right that makes it better.

Comment

After they sold thier souls to Ralph Englestad they should have been addressed as Ralph Englstads University Of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. That being said they should remain the Sioux
                                I'm just going to throw this out there for all you losers, but are you all honestly so high and mighty that if a guy who went to your school came up to you and offered you a $100 million+ arena for free, you'd turn it down in a heartbeat and not be willing to look past some peculiarities that weren't even in the public eye?
                                @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
                                I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Working...
                                X