Notre Dame @ Alaska, Nov. 6 & 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame @ Alaska, Nov. 6 & 7

Since we are hosting this shindig I believe we are obligated to start the game thread. So welcome back ND. Dropping below zero tonight, but should be a balmy +15 or so by Friday.

Kind of early in the year for stats to mean much of anything, but overall, ND is scoring about 2.38 goals a game, allowing 1.62, and are +6 on net special teams play. Their pp is at 20% and their pk is successful 88.1% of the time. They split with UAH and Providence. Beat BU and lost to BC. And recently beat and tied OSU. Jekyll and Hyde.

Overall, the Nooks are scoring 3 goals a game, allowing 1.17, and are also +6 on net special teams play. Our pp is at 22.9% and our pk is successful 91.3% of the time. We beat Michigan, Mercyhurst, RMU, and tied RPI. We recently swept Ferris State in Fairbanks. Strong start for UAF.

I would expect two close, low scoring games. The Nooks strong points are still defense and solid goaltending, but are looking better on offense. The Irish will be a big test for the Nooks.

We’re somewhat a team of no-names, but I’ve been impressed with our overall team play so far. Hope the Irish don’t burst our bubble.

Go Nooks!

Re: Notre Dame @ Alaska, Nov. 6 & 7

Is Alaska ever leaving the state to play a game this season?

Good luck against the Irish.

Comment

Notre Dame kind of reminds me of the seapuppies, big, fast and skilled. Well okay just big, but in the past we have problems dealing with big teams. They tend to cycle the puck in our zone forever and eventually we get frustrated and get a penalty. This year seems different in that aspect however we haven't played a big, fast, talented team until now. This will be a difficult matchup even at home.

Comment

Wouldn't Michigan be a big, fast, talented team? And look what you did to them. Hence the following sentiment:

You guys are certainly more pessimistic about your chances than I am... For the first time in a long time, I'm worried about getting more than a point on the weekend.
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Not pessimistic at all. Cautiously optimistic. We’ve played well so far but I hope they have it in them to even bump it up a notch. Bring your “A” game. We had a couple big minute players (Petovello & Brandon Knelsen) not on the ice against Ferris. I hope those guys are back. We’ll need everybody.

Michigan was in awe of the glitz and glamour that is Anchorage. They did not bring their “A” game.

Comment

I think we'll see another couple of games like last week. With hopefully the same outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              Is Alaska ever leaving the state to play a game this season?

Good luck against the Irish.
              I've wondered the same thing

Our next series after ND is Lake State in SSM, so that will be a big change of scenery.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                Wouldn't Michigan be a big, fast, talented team? And look what you did to them. Hence the following sentiment:

You guys are certainly more pessimistic about your chances than I am... For the first time in a long time, I'm worried about getting more than a point on the weekend.
                I have a hunch we split. If there's a sweep, in either direction, I'll be very surprised.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Not much chatter...

It’s too early in the season to be a make or break series for either team. But all conference games are important and this is somewhat a bellwether game for the Nooks. We had a decent season last year, but we were also shut out 11 times. Contenders or pretenders?

Team defense and Greenham can keep us close in most games, but can we score against good defensive teams. We’ll see. Anywhere from 3 to 6 points should give us that warm tingly feeling. Getting swept at home would be a major bummer.

But I gotta feeling. The boys have played well and played hard every shift of every game. And they’ll need to do that and even more this weekend. Appears like we may still have a couple regulars out with injuries. So step it up boys. If you want some respect, go out and earn it.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this game. One the one hand, of course it's frustrating to get handed our first loss of the season, especially after dominating the third. On the other hand, if the Nooks can bring this kind of effort on a regular basis, they're gonna win alot of games this year. I dunno how many times I thought for sure they were about to tie it up, but unfortunately no such luck. But at least they scored twice, which is two times more than they scored on Notre Dame last year.

Oh, and let's go for 0 penalties tomorrow. Notre Dame was something like 2 for 3 on the powerplay? They don't need any more chances

And what was up with the linesmen tonight? This isn't a "wah, the refs cost us the game" thing or anything like that, but it just seems to me that there were ALOT of blown offsides and icings, both called and missed, for both teams. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it seemed from where I was sitting.

At any rate, should be a good one tomorrow. Hopefully the Nooks will keep up the pressure tomorrow like they did in the third tonight, and salvage a split.

Comment

A lot of positives to take from tonight’s game except for the outcome. A close 3-2 loss. Fairly well played by both teams. A little sloppy at times but it scooted right along. I thought the first was evenly played. We had about 8-10 minutes at the start of the second were we looked out of sorts. But the Nooks picked it towards the end of the second and really controlled play in the third. We had a couple even strength goals which is a good sign. Gave up a couple pp goals which was not so good. Greenham looked only human.

We had some really good chances and just couldn’t get it done tonight. But if you are a Nook fan ya gotta be pretty pleased with what you saw. The Nooks looked solid. Played hard. Outshot ND 37-17 overall, and 16-3 in the third. Maybe deserved better.

A few photos from tonight:

Both teams battled all game, either in scrums...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-103/705573721_g34Ay-L.jpg******

Or up close and personal...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-11/705572959_od3wQ-L.jpg******

Nooks didn’t get on the board until Dion’s second period goal ( assists to Yaremchuk, Taranto)...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-74/705573228_8quL6-L.jpg******

We had a few breakaway changes...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-76/705573447_via2F-L.jpg******

But weren’t able to capitalize...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-175/705574705_gKLHi-L.jpg******

We had numerous other chances...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-118/705573982_BHPBq-L.jpg******

But Mike Johnson was up to the task...
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-151/705574474_zdo38-L.jpg******

Time after time.
                      *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-133/705574228_UBaGh-L.jpg******

Tough loss Nooks. Let’s get’em tomorrow night.
                      Last edited by mmf; 11-07-2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I like this one, mmf. Great shot!

*****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2009-10-CCHA-Games/Notre-Dame-vs-UAF-Nov-6-2009/20091106-103/705588086_BAkGV-L.jpg******
                        The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
                          I like this one, mmf...
                          Thanks. I think that was a ricochet off the post. Foiled again.

Comment

Isn't Hall the ref everyone complains about?

Comment

Originally posted by 1/2 nook View Post
                              Isn't Hall the ref everyone complains about?
                              I'll venture to guess yes...because as far as I know, there isn't such a thing as a ref we don't complain about.

Comment

Working...
                              X