X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack College Hockey 2009-2010

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    BS

The ice by the zamboni door is not safe and it is in fact not much better then the past. To say it is 100% better is a lie spoken by someone who has not looked at it. Drive over today, walk down, look at it and then you shut your mouth because your wrong

The attitude that the team needs is people demanding that the administration step up and build them a hockey east rink. so far below any other rink it is laughable.

The board of directors at MC is a joke and has no clue what they are doing.
    wow, who pooped in your Cheerios?
    Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

BS

The ice by the zamboni door is not safe and it is in fact not much better then the past. To say it is 100% better is a lie spoken by someone who has not looked at it. Drive over today, walk down, look at it and then you shut your mouth because your wrong

The attitude that the team needs is people demanding that the administration step up and build them a hockey east rink. so far below any other rink it is laughable.

The board of directors at MC is a joke and has no clue what they are doing.
      i have looked at it. its fine. you are making a mountain out of a molehill, obviously someone who doesn't have the first clue how an arena works but pretends to in order to sound relevant or important. so don't claim i haven't looked at it or don't know what i'm talking about. i can guarantee you i know more than you ever will. so don't tell me i'm wrong here. the ice is level now, no hills no valleys and everything i have heard from people is the team, thats right the actual people using the ice not some person in the stands, is the ice is VASTLY improved from last year. their words carry much more CREDIBILITY than yours. and do you have the money to build a new rink? school is very small trying to stay afloat in this economy, how many schools are cutting programs these days, they are supporting the team now. its not like its a huge school like BU who found 95 million to build agganis. if you think its so easy why dont you donate the money or fundraise it, if you think you could do such a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
        wow, who pooped in your Cheerios?
        Exactly.....

Lets try a little visualization exercse.

Picture walking into
        Agganis
        Conte Forum
        Providence
        Tsongas
        Alfond
        Northeastern
        U Mass Amherst
        UVM
        These are all awesome rinks with great seats, lockerrooms, concessions, atmosphere etc

Then picture walking into Volpe.

It is so far below any of the above it cant even be compared.

It is the only program without a girls team. The rink is no better then many hs rinks.

The administration can not have it both ways. They can't insist upon staying in Hockey East and then not have a girls team and or a rink that is by far the worst in HE.

Not ragging the coach or players as I feel they deserve better. They need to stop pretending it has charm and is a great atmosphere to play in. When you go there and stand by the glass and watch a game behind the net you realize it is like watching a local hs game and not hockey east.

Comment

The administration can not have it both ways. They can't insist upon staying in Hockey East and then not have a girls team and or a rink that is by far the worst in HE.
          Why does MC need a women's team? They are already in compliance with Title IX and sponsor 8 women's teams. Do they even have D2 women's ice hockey? They don't have in the Northeast 10. Merrimack is a D2 institution they are grandfathered for men's hockey and can't add any more D1 sports.

Look at all the trouble Lowell has had trying to break even with the Tsongas arena since Agganis and the Verizon center were built. Do you thing it would be a smart financial decision for MC to build another 20 million plus arena 14 miles away just for 16 hockey games?

Your comments about the ice are ridiculous. They replaced the entire system over the summer- new compressor, pipes, floor everything is brand new.

Don't pretend you are an MC fan. Everyone knows you are a Providence fan.

Comment

It is the only program without a girls team.
            Neither UML nor UMass has a women's team.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

The school has obviously looked at their options and decided to invest in the existing building, hopefully that works out for them. It will be interesting to see what the place looks like after the next round of renovations.

Never mind a new rink....anything new on the scoreboard?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                No, he's said he's a BU fan. And a BC fan.
                Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

it is an interesting question on the women's team.. back a few years ago hockey east basically said they wanted every team to have a women's program. they were going to have, rumor had it, the two umass teams combine into one women's program and were giving merrimack until the rink was done to incorporate one. so this was not a question of a title 9 issue it was a hockey east issue. i haven't heard a thing recently and someone told me they re designed the 'women's hockey' locker room previously used by women's basketball into two locker rooms now to allocate to more merrimack sports teams.

interestingly enough an arena means you walk down to your seat so technically the name should be j thom lawler rink. unless they can do something IF they do raise the roof. it will be interesting to see if they can get the seats back to 3,000, i dont think it holds that much anymore

well i bet you the new scoreboards will definately be in by the long gap in dec/jan. maybe not the graphics stuff the website said but something will be done.

as far as the team goes, it finally looks like they are turning the 'potential they have' into reality. if they keep the offense up, there's no reason they can't continue winning. and with two strong goalies behind them there should be more confidence then ever. and this is still a relatively young team as well. good things definately are possible. its a nice thing to see after so many years of nothing happening, and nothing against the players, never due to lack of effort or desire.

Comment

hoky dad...first off are you an alum of the school or just a spectactor that's made it to a few games.

From experience of skating on that ice for 4 years that ice bed is far superior to what it has been in the past....the "graveyard of ankles" by the zamboni door is much better than what it used to be and is a much appreciated improvement by the players. Is it perfect, absolutely not, but take everything that we're doing at MC with a grain of salt as the alumni is not very supportive of the hockey program since in the past they haven't had much to cheer for. (cough cough chris serino cough cough).

Also, the main reason that the school is unable to build an entirely new rink is two fold:

#1. Money....Merrimack doesn't have the finances or other resources to build an arena. I'm not talking anything the size of conte or anything but it still takes a large amount of capital to build anything from the ground up. There is also an issue where Merrimack will refuse to give up the naming rights to the building or rink itself whereas Dunkin Donuts wanted to donate a large portion of money for naming rights and Merrimack rejected it due to the school's philosophy of self-service. (not that i personally think they should have done that but those are the facts)

#2. Town of N. Andover...coming directly from a person who was associated with both the Volpe 2000 project and the current project Merrimack ran into numerous problems with the town zoning boards and environmental protection agency. There was a huge issue with the wetlands behind the arena on the side of 114 where apparently the land was under some sort of protection by the EPA. Therefore Merrimack's option to build outwards was out of the question due to government regulations which only leaves the option of building up (i.e raising the ceiling and making renovations to the current structure)

My advice...keep bashing vople/lawler all you want, but get comfy because you're in it for the long haul if you want a new arena....not happening, not now not ever....deal with it
                    "Great moments are born from great oppurtunities.” - Herb Brooks

"MATTEAU!!! MATTEAU!!! MATTEAU!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                      No, he's said he's a BU fan. And a BC fan.
                      I thought he was a Virginia Tech fan.

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                        I thought he was a Virginia Tech fan.
                        My guess was going to be bowling green
                        Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          The school has obviously looked at their options and decided to invest in the existing building, hopefully that works out for them. It will be interesting to see what the place looks like after the next round of renovations.

Never mind a new rink....anything new on the scoreboard?
                          Someone posted on the Warrior forum that because the old one is shot they went ahead and ordered the new one right away instead of the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWahoo View Post
                            Those are fighting words!!!

This DB Hokydad is all your's MC fans.

He is a total and complete fraud who trolls the PC thread but he seems to really have a thing for your team.
                            Wait until he starts with trying to get you all to "think positive" while trying to come off like the Mother Teresa of USCHO. Then he'll call you names as he hides behind the anonimity of his computer. You soon figure out that he's a former past president of the AV Club and his only fighting experience comes in the form of his daily struggle to grasp the English language.
                            I love the Mack but you engaged him so he's all your's folks.
                            Has he hit you with the glass is 67% full Zen BS of his??? It's real deep.
                            Enjoy your spiritual journey with Hokydad, he's a hoot!!!

Comment

I love MC hockey and will root for them but the improvements this summer were not as billed. It looks exactly the same and the team deserves better. MC has to many clowns on the board of direectors with no clue. Clean sweep and bruing in some inovators with brains.
                              HIS WORDS not mine!!!
                              See what I mean about his grasp of the English language??? Bruing Inovators? As in bring in someone who can spell kind of INNOVATORS?
                              Pure gold!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                                HIS WORDS not mine!!!
                                See what I mean about his grasp of the English language??? Bruing Inovators? As in bring in someone who can spell kind of INNOVATORS?
                                Pure gold!!!
                                Ha Ha, I didn't know MC even had a board of direectors, or a board of directors for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X