No announcement yet.

HE after October: Is Merrimack Back???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HE after October: Is Merrimack Back???

I went to the Merrimack game today after seeing the crappy footbal selection on the TV this afternoon. I'm still puzzled by a few questions.

Has Merrimack found an offense?

In three league games they scored 13 goals and accounts for 23% of the total amount of league goals they scored all of last year. Maybe that's the reason their scoreboard is permanently broken

Is BC's defense that bad?

After watching the five-spot Merrimack put on them and watching them on TV @ UVM, I'm not that impressed. Muse looks like a beatable goalie without that defense of the past few years.

Did this weekend series show that BU and Lowell are the top two teams in the league?

A reverse split, a wild overtime, and a net goal diff. of zero in two playoff type atmospheres.

How many people had UMass Amherst leading the league after month one?

Not me.

Of the teams above .500, who is the biggest surprise; below .500 who is the biggest disapointment?

Merrimack -- When was the last time they were in second place this late in the season.
    Vermont -- They still may turn around but early losses to Merrimack and Maine have cast some doubt on their program.
    - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Re: HE after October: Is Merrimack Back???

I think its way too early to gather any information about the Hockey East teams... UNH has played only two league games, Vermont has had two rough road games (Ever take the bus ride from Burlington to Orono?? It sucks) BU has played upper level teams in conference. Basically once the schedule balances out a bit then we can grasp what is happening in Hockey East this year.

I can say this... Hockey East is not doing very well against the power conferences this season...
    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Wouldn't Merrimack had to have been there in the first place in order to be "back"?
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Vermont has played 1 home game (out of 5 games) so this coming weekend vs. Lowell and Providence College will tell everyone alot about what they are going to do this year.

Merrimack is doing well, they have some nice recruits and these wins over Vermont, and now BC has to be energizing for them. Plus a close loss to North Dakota (at North Dakota) in the opening weekend.

Boston College can't be that bad, they beat Notre Dame at ND, a team that shut out Boston University in Boston.

UNH totally disappointed me with their trip to Wisconsin, got beat and totally outplayed, yet they have beaten Northeastern and Maine playing home games.

Lowell might be the class of the league but they lost to lowly Nebraska-Omaha so maybe not.

I think for the first time, games played in mid to late February will actually have meaning for determining which 2 teams sit at home for the playoffs and home ice. Parity?
        Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
          Wouldn't Merrimack had to have been there in the first place in order to be "back"?
          Exactly! I was about to ask the same question. They are, no doubt, in unfamiliar territory. Nov. oneth is still way too early. If your team is playing well then you should be encouraged and if, like BC, they've got some work to do then lets wait and see and hope they get it done. Gotta admit I was a little surprised at the beating UNH took over the weekend. I think they're better than that but apparently somebody needs to tell them that. Lets see where we all stand on Feb. oneth .
          sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Well, after guiding the Chargers to a 12-20 record in his first two years as a starter Drew Brees won the Comeback Player of the Year Award in his third year as a starter. So according to the AP: No
            Last edited by Agganis; 11-01-2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Merrimack's certainly never been a power in Hockey East, but they were dominant in the ECAC division 2 before making the jump, much as UMass-Lowell was before they joined the league.

They earned an NCAA tournament berth in 1988 as an Independent and was seeded sixth in the East and slated to play the third-seeded Hockey East champion Northeastern Huskies. (Also a strange phrase these days, no?)

Merrimack prevailed in a two-game, total-goal series against the Huskies, capping it off with a heroic comeback after losing the first game and trailing halfway through the second.

The Warriors went on to face #2 seeded Lake Superior State, who had not lost a game all year in their own rink, and pinned a 4-3 loss on them. In the next game, however, the Lakers asserted themselves and won 5-0 on their way to win the national championship by defeating Maine and St. Lawrence.

So, yes, I think if Merrimack were to earn an NCAA berth this year we could say they are "back". They have not been as strong in Division 1 as they were as an Independent or as they were in Division 2, but they have not always been the doormat of years past.

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post

Lowell might be the class of the league but they lost to lowly Nebraska-Omaha so maybe not.
                Yeah, Lowell lost to the "lowly" #12 team in the country. Sorry we couldn't have lost to Merrimack and Maine instead. How's the incredible Vermont defense* treating ya? Thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                  Yeah, Lowell lost to the "lowly" #12 team in the country. Sorry we couldn't have lost to Merrimack and Maine instead. How's the incredible Vermont defense* treating ya? Thought so.
                  Exactly. UNO's 4-0-2. Not sure how that's "lowly".
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Well, not everyone can split a series in Denver and then lose to Merrimack and Maine. Takes a real team to do that.

Comment

UNO hasn't played anyone of significance yet. 4 wins against Lowell, Army, Colgate and Bowling Green with ties against Colgate and Bowling Green. UNO will not be anywhere close to undeated after they play their November opponents.
                      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post

I can say this... Hockey East is not doing very well against the power conferences this season...
                        Not to be a dick, but isn't that largely because of UNH?

NU and UVM split in Colorado and PC split at ND, all of which are favorable results. MC acquitted themselves at North Dakota, even though they got swept...a shakey Maine team even managed a home split with Michigan State, and BU beat Michigan while BC beat Notre Dame.

UNH got one point at home (granted to the #1 team in the country), and then got absolutely smoked at Wisconsin. Sure UML should have beaten UNO, but they did go 2-0 against the ECAC (UNH 0-1), although Maine's suckiness vs. the ECAC (0-2) should be noted too.

Get it together 'Cats! You're killing our League!
                        It's easy to root for a winner...

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
                          Well, not everyone can split a series in Denver and then lose to Merrimack and Maine. Takes a real team to do that.
                          Maybe they were trying not to peak in October....?

Comment

Originally posted by observer85 View Post
                            UNO hasn't played anyone of significance yet. 4 wins against Lowell, Army, Colgate and Bowling Green with ties against Colgate and Bowling Green. UNO will not be anywhere close to undeated after they play their November opponents.
                            No ****, Sherlock. I still don't see how an undefeated team can possibly be described as "lowly" though.

Comment

No ****, Sherlock. I still don't see how an undefeated team can possibly be described as "lowly" though.
                              At the time they played, UNO was not even ranked in the top 20. That kind of tells you what the coaches, etc. thought of them. Now they are but Lowell was a top 10 team at the start of the season if I recall....

Comment

Working...
                              X