Return to One Referee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to One Referee

After watching the two referee system over the last couple years, I have come to the conclusion that the result is twice as many marginal infractions called and twice as many real infractions not called. There seems to be very little flow in the women's game. I would much rather have one referee who will call the game consistently; either tight or with some latitude. Not going to get into a rant about this issue; but I don't think you need two refs in the women's game. The game is turning into a special teams affair. The game is supposed to be a back and forth free-flowing game.

Re: Return to One Referee

Originally posted by xwildfan View Post
    After watching the two referee system over the last couple years, I have come to the conclusion that the result is twice as many marginal infractions called and twice as many real infractions not called. There seems to be very little flow in the women's game. I would much rather have one referee who will call the game consistently; either tight or with some latitude. Not going to get into a rant about this issue; but I don't think you need two refs in the women's game. The game is turning into a special teams affair. The game is supposed to be a back and forth free-flowing game.
    After watching last nights game between UMD and Mercyhurst I agree.
    "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by xwildfan View Post
      . I would much rather have one referee who will call the game consistently
      There in lies the problem, regardless of how many officials are on the ice. Frankly it will always be this way; it is human nature.

Comment

I couldnt agree more. The two referee game is beneficial in a chippy hook and hold hockey game! The women's game is being ruined by 2 referee system. Referee X calls 7-8 penalties than referee Y feels the need to call the same! All of a sudden you have 16 meaningless penalties called.

Comment

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
          I couldnt agree more. The two referee game is beneficial in a chippy hook and hold hockey game! The women's game is being ruined by 2 referee system. Referee X calls 7-8 penalties than referee Y feels the need to call the same! All of a sudden you have 16 meaningless penalties called.
          AMEN!!

Comment

It occurred to me last evening, as I was listening to TonytheTiger20 blow "Three Blind Mice" on his horn, that should this change be made then Tony's most entertaining musical round would be technically accurate once again!

I am also in favor of cutting back due to the consistency factor. No question!
            Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

what may work in the NHL is not necessarily applicable to the college game. the two ref system in a good example. not being able to change lines due to an icing call is another. the women's game is much more appealing when there is a rhythm to it. while there is a lot of trash talking going on, there is not a lot of outright dirty play - one ref is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                It occurred to me last evening, as I was listening to TonytheTiger20 blow "Three Blind Mice" on his horn, that should this change be made then Tony's most entertaining musical round would be technically accurate once again!

I am also in favor of cutting back due to the consistency factor. No question!
                To ensure accuracy we typically yell "FOUR... there's FOUR of you..." after I play.

Or if Doiron is reffing, then there ARE only three blind refs, because Doiron is awesome.
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I normally don't have issues with the linesmen, except on the occasional icing wave-off.

That said, even the good linesmen(/women) appear to have their brains sucked out the moment they put on the orange armbands.
                  Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                  Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                  Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

The only problem I have with the linesmen is .. they don't know how to get out of the way!.. if the play goes to the opposite side (not end) of the rink they need to shift to remain out of the way!

The icing thing keeps the game moving more.. when it even appears the other team made any attempt at the puck the clock keeps running and they have to retrieve it. It took part of last season to get used to that but it works. I *do* like the no-change rule, but it's funny how after a full season and part, players still try and get off the ice and it never works.
                    Last edited by dhmn; 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                      I normally don't have issues with the linesmen, except on the occasional icing wave-off.
                      I watched four years of NCAA women's hockey and I can count on one finger the number of times a linesperson waived off an icing! At times it was almost like curling as the defense swept a path to the goal line to get an incing!

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                        I watched four years of NCAA women's hockey and I can count on one finger the number of times a linesperson waived off an icing! At times it was almost like curling as the defense swept a path to the goal line to get an incing!
                        That's changed.. at least in the WCHA .. both men's and women's.. they wave off and point to the player who stepped up that may have been able to get the puck had they not moved forward.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Working...
                        X