Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGSU @ UNO Shootout Fallout - Inelligible Player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BGSU @ UNO Shootout Fallout - Inelligible Player?

So it seems that thanks to a couple of penalties in OT during the BGSU/UNO game the result of tonight's shootout is now in question.

According to the NCAA rulebook, apparently if a player is penalized as OT is completed that player in ineligible to participate in a shootout.

The player in question is #21 Jordan Samuels-Thomas who was serving a roughing penalty as time expired but also scored the game-winning goal in the shootout.

Right now the game's decision is under review by CCHA officials but I thought I'd raise the issue for folks here.

Has this happened before for any other team? Any thoughts on what the CCHA will decide?

I'm curious.
    UNLEASH THE FURY!

Re: BGSU @ UNO Shootout Fallout - Inelligible Player?

Originally posted by Unomaholic View Post
    So it seems that thanks to a couple of penalties in OT during the BGSU/UNO game the result of tonight's shootout is now in question.

According to the NCAA rulebook, apparently if a player is penalized as OT is completed that player in ineligible to participate in a shootout.

The player in question is #21 Jordan Samuels-Thomas who was serving a roughing penalty as time expired but also scored the game-winning goal in the shootout.

Right now the game's decision is under review by CCHA officials but I thought I'd raise the issue for folks here.

Has this happened before for any other team? Any thoughts on what the CCHA will decide?

I'm curious.
    The NCAA has rules regarding a shootout?
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      The NCAA has rules regarding a shootout?
      http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uplo...2bfb15c487.pdf

Section 57 and Appendix B. Specifically, from Appendix B,

Players serving penalty time shall not be eligible for the shootout.

Comment

NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules Committee

FINAL CHANGES (Approved July 2, 2008)

Rule 6-56-b. Shootout.

"A shootout may be conducted at the end of the five-minute overtime period for advancement purposes, in conference games or by mutual consent of both teams."

Rationale: The committee received several requests from conferences to experiment with a shootout in regular-season contests as a means to enhance the excitement of the game. The committee proposes this allowance in the hope that conferences will use a shootout and provide feedback for future consideration.

Appendix B, Shootout Protocol. This protocol is only to be used in accordance with rule 6-56-b.

1. It is recommended that the ice surface be dry scraped in the middle of the ice through both creases.

2. At the end of the five-minute overtime period, the head official will instruct the timekeeper to put two minutes on the clock and immediately start the clock.

3. The other two officials will request a list of three shooters from each coach.

4. The head official will meet at center ice with the captains to explain the protocol during the two-minute period.

5. The goalkeepers remain in the same ends as the overtime period.

6. The home team has the option of shooting first or defending first. If Team A's first two players score, while none of Team B's players score, the shootout is over and Team A wins the shootout.

7. If the shootout remains tied at the end of three rounds, each coach will select a different shooter, this time in a sudden death situation. The first three shooters are ineligible until all other bench players have attempted a shot, if necessary. Each team has an equal number of chances to shoot before a winner is declared.

Notes

Players serving penalty time shall not be eligible for the shootout.

If a shooter is injured in the shootout, the player may be replaced in subsequent rounds by a player off the bench.

If a goalkeeper is injured in the shootout, the goalkeeper may be immediately replaced by a goalkeeper off the bench. The injured goalkeeper may not re-enter the shootout.

All players not actively participating in the shootout must remain on their bench.

Goalkeepers may be substituted, but no warm-up time will be allowed.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-hockey/...081408aab.html
        UNLEASH THE FURY!

Comment

I'm curious.

That's why shootouts are asinine. Whats wrong with two evenly matched teams playing to a tie in the regular season?

D1 Hockey vacuum of SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by Charles de Gaulle View Post
            That's why shootouts are asinine. Whats wrong with two evenly matched teams playing to a tie in the regular season?
            No clue... I like the tie. It still ends up awarding two points per game (way to suck at life NHL). I don't mind the shootout in the NHL but in college it doesn't seem to fit. I just wish they would get rid of that overtime loss crap.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              No clue... I like the tie. It still ends up awarding two points per game (way to suck at life NHL). I don't mind the shootout in the NHL but in college it doesn't seem to fit. I just wish they would get rid of that overtime loss crap.******* classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0">****** name="movie" value="http://www.greatvikings.com/gv/client/pages/4874/info.html">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** src="http://www.greatvikings.com/gv/client/pages/4874/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0">
              At least both teams got something out of it.

Comment

Blais wants to a redo of the shootout before tonights game.

Comment

Something I've always wondered: Can a goalie participate in a shootout? Obviously there would be little advantage but it would be pretty cool to see.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Re: BGSU @ UNO Shootout Fallout - Ineligible Player?

I'm curious.
                    Not only should BGSU have to forfeit last nights game. You get two new referees. That is an obvious violation when the officials compared the shootout roster to the official score sheet.
                    dash 8
                    what does North Dakota's gov't have that Minnesota won't have? A budget Surplus

Comment

Originally posted by flyund View Post
                      Not only should BGSU have to forfeit last nights game. You get two new referees. That is an obvious violation when the officials compared the shootout roster to the official score sheet.
                      Well, they shouldn't have to forfeit the game, because the game ended in a tie and nobody broke the rules before the game ended--the rules were broken during the shootout.

I think a reasonable decision would be to consider the shootout goal scored by the ineligible player as invalid, which would, I understand, give the shootout win to Nebraska-Omaha. Nebraska-Omaha would get the 2 points in the league standings, and Bowling Green would get 1; both teams would of course have a tie in the official NCAA records.

As far as the refs are concerned, I at least give them credit for not signing the scoresheet and immediately contacting the league office once they realized the mistake.
                      Last edited by Alton; 10-31-2009, 09:06 AM.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

But McInchak is a state cop and he's never wrong.

Why is it so hard to make players stay in the box until the game is over, avoiding this situation entirely?
                        This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                          Why is it so hard to make players stay in the box until the game is over, avoiding this situation entirely?
                          I think you answered your own question with your first statement.

But McInchak is a state cop...
                          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by flyund View Post
                            Not only should BGSU have to forfeit last nights game.
                            Yeah, no. It's not BGSU's fault the refs didn't catch it. And it's not like UNO should be rewarded for failing to catch it, too.

It's like batting out of order in baseball. If you catch it in time, the guy's out. If you don't, whatever happened counts and you move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              I think you answered your own question with your first statement.
                              I was talking to a fellow Ferris fan and he thought it might have started with the off-ice officials. The penalty box attendants could have let the player out at the conclusion of overtime and/or the time-keeper took the penalty off the board when the shoot-out started. Whatever happened, though, McInchak and the on-ice officials are responsible for what happened.
                              This space for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X