Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGSU @ UNO Shootout Fallout - Inelligible Player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BGSU @ UNO Shootout Fallout - Ineligible Player?

Originally posted by Alton View Post
    Well, they shouldn't have to forfeit the game, because the game ended in a tie and nobody broke the rules before the game ended--the rules were broken during the shootout.

I think a reasonable decision would be to consider the shootout goal scored by the ineligible player as invalid, which would, I understand, give the shootout win to Nebraska-Omaha. Nebraska-Omaha would get the 2 points in the league standings, and Bowling Green would get 1; both teams would of course have a tie in the official NCAA records.

As far as the refs are concerned, I at least give them credit for not signing the scoresheet and immediately contacting the league office once they realized the mistake.
    Freshman winger Jordan Samuels-Thomas, who had scored his first career goal 1:40 into the third period to tie the game at 2-2, scored on BGSU’s second shootout attempt, thus appearing to win the game for the Falcons, as UNO’s Rich Purslow then hit the left post on the Mavericks’ third and final attempt.
    If you take away the BG goal, then its still tied, otherwise how could UNO have lost if they would have an extra goal with the BG one denied?

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
      If you take away the BG goal, then its still tied, otherwise how could UNO have lost if they would have an extra goal with the BG one denied?
      I could be wrong, but I think the shootout was tied after the first three shooters (counting the goal scored by the ineligible player). If you don't count that goal, Nebraska-Omaha led after each team took 3 shots.

I do see the other side, too: it was the ref's mistake, and you don't penalize either team when the ref makes the mistake. What should have happened is the ref should have said to the BG coach, "hey, you can't use him." The BG coach would then have used an eligible player.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Just checked out the CCHA's website, they finally put up the extra SW point for BG. I'm guessing it's official now.

Comment

Re: BGSU @ UNO Shootout Fallout - Inelligible Player?

Oh boy, now UNO fans have another reason to be glad they are moving to the WCHA (especially losing to their main CCHA "rival" on home ice.). At least McInchak didn't wait for U-M/Notre Dame to screw up a game tying/winning call.

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
            Just checked out the CCHA's website, they finally put up the extra SW point for BG. I'm guessing it's official now.
            Yup.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
              I could be wrong, but I think the shootout was tied after the first three shooters (counting the goal scored by the ineligible player). If you don't count that goal, Nebraska-Omaha led after each team took 3 shots.

I do see the other side, too: it was the ref's mistake, and you don't penalize either team when the ref makes the mistake. What should have happened is the ref should have said to the BG coach, "hey, you can't use him." The BG coach would then have used an eligible player.
              maybe, not sure, but the write up here makes it seem like it was tied, bg scored, uno missed, game over. but then the beat writers here can't really be taken too seriously.

Comment

That mavs site says BG was the only player that scored, so it theoretically would have still been tied.

Comment

Only way I could've (possibly) seen this being overturned is if UNO shot first, scored, then the ineligible player scored to force sudden-death shootout rounds, and another BG player scored on a subsequent round for the win. In that case, UNO had one on the board, the ineligible player's shot could've been wiped out, and the following rounds wouldn't have needed to take place.

As it was, I would've been very surprised if they hadn't let it stand, since the precedent seems to be to allow mistakes by on-ice officials to stand.

Comment

Originally posted by tic tac toe View Post
                    Blais wants to a redo of the shootout before tonights game.
                    That's hilarious.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

If they decided to overturn the goal would that have then meant that BG would get one shot before the game tonight to see if they would win? And if that missed, it would then go to the sudden death?

Comment

Originally posted by bueller View Post
                        But McInchak is a state cop and he's never wrong.
                        Actually isn't he a cop somewhere Downriver?

I think the post that referred to batting out of order hit the thing right. Someone on UNO should have caught it in time if they wanted to have it go their way. But still, it is inexcusable that all the on and off ice officials lost track of who should have been ineligible.

Comment

The decision to grant BG the point is odd. The BG coach should know the rules. Personally I think each team gets 1 point and leave it, no additional point for a shootout win to either team. The result was that BG broke the rule, but there is no consequences.
                          This SHARPIE is for you!

Comment

Originally posted by UNOMav View Post
                            The decision to grant BG the point is odd. The BG coach should know the rules. Personally I think each team gets 1 point and leave it, no additional point for a shootout win to either team. The result was that BG broke the rule, but there is no consequences.
                            but like someone mentioned earlier, its not up to BG to notice the mistake, but up to the refs and UNO.

Comment

The CCHA did replace McInchak and crew for game 2 of the series last night, interestingly enough.

What's done is done. I think UNOFAN's analogy of a batter batting out of order is spot on. Although a part of me wonders if it was Michigan on the short end, would the decision have been the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Section96 View Post
                                The CCHA did replace McInchak and crew for game 2 of the series last night, interestingly enough.

What's done is done. I think UNOFAN's analogy of a batter batting out of order is spot on. Although a part of me wonders if it was Michigan on the short end, would the decision have been the same?
                                McInchak screwed Michigan at Yost last season against Notre Dame, whistling a play dead (from 70 feet away) that resulted in a game tying goal mouth scramble goal being waived off. His partner was looking at the play from behind the net.

So yes, contrary to how most Mav fans feel towards Michigan, they do not get all of the CCHA breaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X