WCHA Border Battle - Minn at Wisc - 10/30 & 11/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Border Battle - Minn at Wisc - 10/30 & 11/1

Time for a weekend specific thread to talk about the series specifically. Here are a number of links, some of which were already posted to the Gopher thread and some that are from the Badger side...

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Game coverage
    Last edited by CrazyDave; 10-30-2009, 12:01 PM.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Re: WCHA Border Battle - Minn at Wisc - 10/30 & 11/1

Flying out for the mens UNH/UW series this weekend. Hoping to make it for the Friday game of UW/MINN but cannot find ticket information for Friday's game, only Sunday's. Does anyone have any info?

Comment

Originally posted by UNHKazooMonkey View Post
      Flying out for the mens UNH/UW series this weekend. Hoping to make it for the Friday game of UW/MINN but cannot find ticket information for Friday's game, only Sunday's. Does anyone have any info?
      Game time is 2:07 p.m. Central. But I wouldn't worry about purchasing a ticket in advance -- all seats are general admission, it's Friday afternoon, and there's 14,000 seats for a crowd that will be (at best) 1,000. You'll be fine just walking up.
      Last edited by CrazyDave; 10-29-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
        Game time is 2:07 p.m. Central. But I wouldn't worry about purchasing a ticket in advance -- all seats are general admission, it's Friday afternoon, and there's 14,000 seats for a crowd that will be (at best) 1,000. You'll be fine just walking up.
        I thought I read somewhere on the Badger site that they are having some sort of "fill the bowl" promotion on Friday, plus it was Kids Day or some such thing. Walking up to the ticket window will still be fine, but there might possibly be more than 1 or 2 folks ahead of you in line, and the crowd could outnumber the largely invisible 1,216 persons supposedly in attendance when the two teams met on a Friday afternoon last season.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          I thought I read somewhere on the Badger site that they are having some sort of "fill the bowl" promotion on Friday, plus it was Kids Day or some such thing. Walking up to the ticket window will still be fine, but there might possibly be more than 1 or 2 folks ahead of you in line, and the crowd could outnumber the largely invisible 1,216 persons supposedly in attendance when the two teams met on a Friday afternoon last season.
          Found what you were referring to... Kids Day at the Kohl
          Mark your calendar for the eighth-annual Kids Day at the Kohl presented by Alliant Energy. A big day of fun and games is planned for Friday, Oct. 30 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Kohl Center.

Kids of all ages are welcome. Admission and parking is free.

As an added bonus, all fans will receive free admission to the Wisconsin women's hockey game that afternoon. Face-off is set for 2 p.m. as the defending national champion Badgers take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Comment

thanks. so by the sound of it, the game is free on friday. hence why i couldn't find ticket information .

Comment

Mark your calendar for the eighth-annual Kids Day at the Kohl presented by Alliant Energy. A big day of fun and games is planned for Friday, Oct. 30 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Kohl Center.

Kids of all ages are welcome. Admission and parking is free.

As an added bonus, all fans will receive free admission to the Wisconsin women's hockey game that afternoon. Face-off is set for 2 p.m. as the defending national champion Badgers take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers.l[/URL]
              I hate that the Badgers outdraw the Gophers at home but I completely applaud the way they do it. For crying out loud, get people in the building, no matter what is necessary to do it, get people in the building.

The Gophers get 1,100 or so for smallish crowds up to close to 2,000 for the Badgers or the Dogs but never, ever, come close to filling every seat. Even if they were getting the $9 reserved seat admission for every one of those admissions (and they very, very clearly aren't) that's only at most $18,000 for one of the big games. The team needs fans, the couple of thousand bucks that they deposit in the coffers of the athletic department from sale of tickets is a pittance, a mere pittance, compared to the athletic budget for the University.

The University should be giving those seats away until such time as it becomes necessary to limit the crowd by charging for them.

I think I have standing to make this comment as a season ticket holder who has already paid $9 for my seat for each and every home game of the season. I would appreciate the option of still paying in order to reserve the seat I want to sit in (and I would) but until all of the seats are full they should just, as Wisconsin does, throw open the doors and invite people inside for some really good hockey.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                I hate that the Badgers outdraw the Gophers at home but I completely applaud the way they do it. For crying out loud, get people in the building, no matter what is necessary to do it, get people in the building.
                And if you can't get people in the building, count them anyway! While the Badgers have had some very nice crowds over the years, adding unoccupied suites to the head count contributes to their average.

I don't know that they are doing anything way beyond what Minnesota does -- note that the free admission is a one-time thing, not the norm. The Gophs have had a number of games where you can get in for free or almost free in a number of ways (clip a coupon from the paper, wear maroon & gold, sign up your youth team, be a student, etc.) The big advantage that I'd say one gets in Madison is free parking instead of $8 or $10 a pop in Minneapolis.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The Gophs have had a number of games where you can get in for free or almost free in a number of ways (clip a coupon from the paper, wear maroon & gold, sign up your youth team, be a student, etc.)
                  They used to do this all the time. I haven't seen any coupons in the paper yet this year.

The big advantage that I'd say one gets in Madison is free parking instead of $8 or $10 a pop in Minneapolis.
                  One of my pet peeves - paying more for the privilege of parking your car than to get into the actual event!
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    One of my pet peeves - paying more for the privilege of parking your car than to get into the actual event!
                    Apparently the demand forr the parking space is greater than the demand for admission to the event.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      That's why I normally park either in Dinkytown/Marcy Holmes or behind the Days Hotel (near University Village). I'll typically only pay for university parking if the weather is bad or if there is a City of Minnesota snow emergency in effect.

Comment

Go gophers! Il be expecting Bozek, who I've heard has a strong dislike of wisco, to step up this weekend!

Comment

Added some links to the initial post in this thread.

Comment

Anyone having trouble purchasing this game?
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Gophers up 1-0? That's what the live blog says.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X