**UW-Superior Regular Season 2009-2010**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **UW-Superior Regular Season 2009-2010**

4 days to go...let's get this party started.
    The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Re: **UW-Superior Regular Season 2009-2010**

no one is excited?

Comment

Hows the weather in Superior this week for the 1st game?
      Will it welcome RF falcons? hard to tell how strong the RF teams with the win last week over a weather Concordia team but it did show they have some firepower at least.
      Yellowjackets are young but so is RF team, the falcons even have a D man that is a freshman on the PP. Falcons had 3 golas from blueline boys
      Really hard to evaluate new incomming freshman that teams pick up late in te summer.

Comment

A question to those who know more than I do. Is the fact that UWS has many more recruits from the NAHL and other American Jr. leagues stem from a higher recruiting in Canada from other D1 & D3 teams and/or from the improving quality of players from those leagues? I can remember, not too many years back, when you had to play, "Find the American on the roster" game and it was never an easy game to play

Comment

Originally posted by revcraig View Post
          A question to those who know more than I do. Is the fact that UWS has many more recruits from the NAHL and other American Jr. leagues stem from a higher recruiting in Canada from other D1 & D3 teams and/or from the improving quality of players from those leagues? I can remember, not too many years back, when you had to play, "Find the American on the roster" game and it was never an easy game to play
          I know what your saying. When I played in BCHL eveeryone was going to a D1 college but I think Canada is trying to better their colleges and make it more attractive to keep some of their home grown there. Wasn`t there some talk of major Canadian ciolleges trying to enter the D1 U.S. NCAA system.

I think you have to give the US credit for producing better quality players as well so the pool is bigger here now college to pull from rather thah going north of the border.

Take a look at the rosters published this last week and llok at all the CALIFORNIA players in the leagues. You didn`t see that in the old days. The west coast players are actually skilled quality players as well.
          Last edited by Collegeman; 10-27-2009, 11:46 PM. Reason: spell check

Comment

ice in california....just doesn't sound right. aside from the nevada's that is. this trend remindes me of mighty ducks and the kids playing dry land hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by revcraig View Post
              Some of it has to do with better US players and Canadian colleges attracting their own, but I think more has to do with recruiting. There are plenty of canadian boys on other rosters throughout D-III. You have to have some type of connection with these kids and spend a lot of time in Canada. Take a look at CSS' roster... 19 of 28 boys from Canada. Its not a coincidence that Barker is at CSS and they have 70% of their roster from Canada, where Superior is about 40% (10 of 26).
              'JACKET HOCKEY
              NCAA Champions: 2002
              NCAA Frozen Four: 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
              NCHA Playoff Champions: 1994, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006
              NCHA Champions: 1994, 2001, 2009
              WIAC Champions: 1992, 1994, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009
              NAIA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: 1976
              It's time to show the world what 'Jacket Hockey really is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              http://jackethockey.proboards75.com/index.cgi

Comment

"We have a team, not just a group of forwards, but a team that we really like and we think we can make a run with," Stauber said. "We'll learn a lot as we go along because we did have to replace an awful lot, but we like what we have here and I think the people that follow us will like what they see as well."
                Coach Stauber

Comment

What. The. Hell?
                  "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

uh oh!

at least we've made the playoffs already.

Comment

My observations on the weekend.

Friday night was kind of what I expected. Not a whole lot of offensive production and poor goaltending. This is what you get with freshmen and a bad goalie. The lack of offense was even worse because they had to protect the net so much in our zone. They had no confidence in Rosett and it showed. Ultimately, he gave up 2 soft goals. Usually I would never blame a goalie for a 2-1 loss, but that is what happened Friday night.

Saturday night was a completely different story. It started in the net and worked its way out through everyone except for maybe Fletcher. No one was skating, hitting, or playing any type of defense. Again, Rosett was atrocious in goal giving up 3 goals on 10 shots! In the second, the offense started clicking, but with no defense/physical play- Tinkham didn't stand a chance. Finally, in the third, a more complete period--shy of the frustrations coming out at the end of the game. Hopefully they figure it out fast.

5 Keys I noticed on the weekend

1. Tinkham should get the nod next weekend. He did give up 4 goals on 15 shots, but 2 of those were really not his fault. I liked what I saw out of him especially for being a freshman and thrown into a game like that.
                      2. Fletcher is going to be the key this season. He works harder than anyone else on the ice and it showed with 3 goals on the weekend.
                      3. Desmet needs to learn that the game does not revolve around him. Stupid penalties and selfish play is not going to get him the chances he needs. When he settles down and plays hockey he quite possibly is the best. He may be missing the departure of Berry the most-since those two were unstoppable when they played on the same line.
                      4. Kyle Leahy is so far the best freshman that has played. He works hard and had some decent chances this weekend and really never quit while he was on the ice. It is no coincidence that he wears #11 and played for Randall Smisko in junior.
                      5. DEFENSE Junkermeier needs to move back to defense. He is not especially quick and really has a poor shot. He has a big body (6'2" 200?) and is not afraid to get physical. We need speed up front. Derek Stauber showed some flashes of brilliance, but is very skidish. Hopefully he gets over this soon..but I assume it will be a season long process.
                      There is a lot of work to be done with this team and hopefully it gets figured out fast. There is talent there, they just need to start working Hareder, play as a Team, and show some Determination.
                      'JACKET HOCKEY

Comment

Oh boy....
                        With this kind of goaltending.... this could be a loooong season....
                        Also looks like we are back to the familiar Yellowjacket power-play.... you know the non-existent one....
                        But it didn't sound like the defense was not doing much to help out the net minders.... sounded like they were just getting beat at the boards in the defensive zone.....
                        Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
                        -Mayor Bloomberg

Comment

Originally posted by Jacket_Maverick View Post
                          Oh boy....
                          With this kind of goaltending.... this could be a loooong season....
                          Also looks like we are back to the familiar Yellowjacket power-play.... you know the non-existent one....
                          But it didn't sound like the defense was not doing much to help out the net minders.... sounded like they were just getting beat at the boards in the defensive zone.....
                          Saturday was a complete wash until the 3rd Period. They didn't give any type of effort the first 2 periods really. I think they will be fine was things are figured out and Stauber gets lines together. He had some weird ones this weekend. I just hope it gets fixed before its too late. Doesn't help that we are already down 4 pts!
                          'JACKET HOCKEY

Comment

I don`t have a preference to either one of the two teams just watched this is Penn Atlanic watching little of a few games. Superior came out the 1st game wanting to establish they were physical, just running around looking for some one to hit but that physical tactic didn`t CREATE opportunities, the River Falls team remained composed and just played. Didn`t Stauber say his forwards were not just a bunch of individuals but a team of forwards? I think for the most part they were and showed some skill, a few times they cycled down low and it was fun to watch. The yellowJacket came out in the 2nd period and just worked hard and really controled the flow of the game, Falcons just looked flat or tired and got out worked.

Second game once the YellowJackets got behind it was hard to play catch up but they kept skating and sometimes you felt like they could come back but then RF would score a return goal and kept the 3 goal cushion.

I played D when I played so I tend to watch the D men most. I was impressed with the freshman D man on Falcons, I can`t remember the name but he was #16. I will look it up. He was fast he ran down a Superior forward with the puck in the 2nd game like he was standing still, for a good sized D man that stood out. Also the kid ran the PP and won the 1st game and had 2 or 3 more goals in the 2nd game I think. He had a wicked shot and threaded a pass in the 2nd period of the 2nd game for a breakaway but the guy missed.

I want to see them play this weeekend if the broadcast it. The RF team never put 3 periods together but if they could they would bea team to watch. The Falcons forwards seem to be very selfless and passed alot , not always connecting, but they never got greedy from what I could see.
                            Last edited by Collegeman; 11-04-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Collegeman View Post
                              Superior came out the 1st game wanting to establish they were physical, just running around looking for some one to hit but that physical tactic didn`t CREATE opportunities, the River Falls team remained composed and just played. The yellowJacket came out in the 2nd period and just worked hard and really controled the flow of the game and got the tieing goal, Falcons just looked flat or tired and got out worked.
                              FYI...the 'Jackets scored FIRST, late in the 1st period-they never got the tying goal in the second, the Falcons did.
                              'JACKET HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                              X