UNH @ Wisconsin, Oct. 30-31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH @ Wisconsin, Oct. 30-31

After UNH started 0-2-1 against RPI and Miami, they rebounded this past weekend with convincing home victories over Northeastern and Maine.
    The Badgers are coming off a road split in Mankato.
    I, along with a few other UNH fans, will be travelling to Madison for this series and look forward to what looks to be some great hockey.
    Also, I hear something about Halloween in Madison being kind of a big deal .
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Re: UNH @ Wisconsin, Oct. 30-31

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
    After UNH started 0-2-1 against RPI and Miami, they rebounded this past weekend with convincing home victories over Northeastern and Maine.
    I, along with a few other UNH fans, will be travelling to Madison for this series and look forward to what looks to be some great hockey.
    Now that we keep the Minnesota trouble makers and other out-of-towners off campus, and charge a fee for Freakfest, the days of trouble are pretty much over. The Madison tax payers, me being one, were sick and tired of what it was costing the city every year.

I'm looking forward to see my friend Blake Kessel have a pair of good games in his backyard, but not to win either game .

We had a very solid Friday night. This is the team we were all expecting to see. It was followed by a game with less effort (IMO), stupid penalties and an eventual loss; a team we weren't expecting to see.

Enjoy your trip. Purdue is in town for football, so it's a busy weekend in town. Bring your hard hats, steel toed shoes, and flack jackets. Have a fun & safe experience in Madison.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

"Freakfest" isn't Free???
      Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        I'm looking forward to see my friend Blake Kessel have a pair of good games in his backyard, but not to win either game .
        Kessel has been a lot of fun to watch develop in his year plus at UNH. He seems to get better each week. He missed the season opener at RPI and played through significant pain in the Miami series due to a shoulder injury, but played what I feel like was his best weekend as a Wildcat this weekend. As the clear #1 d-man on UNH, he has a tremendous amount of responsibility on the blueline.
        Mike Sislo, another Wisconsin native, has been a key contributer on the team. Should be nice for those guys to play in front of family and friends.
        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Kessel has been a lot of fun to watch develop in his year plus at UNH. He seems to get better each week. He missed the season opener at RPI and played through significant pain in the Miami series due to a shoulder injury, but played what I feel like was his best weekend as a Wildcat this weekend. As the clear #1 d-man on UNH, he has a tremendous amount of responsibility on the blueline.
          Mike Sislo, another Wisconsin native, has been a key contributer on the team. Should be nice for those guys to play in front of family and friends.
          I was noticing this weekend it doesn't mater who is on the ice with Kessel (forward or D) he is in charge out there. Even when Captians are on the ice it apears he is running the show. Interesting to watch this weekend. There is no power strugle he appeared to be it and everybody listened. Seemed very odd when I first noticed Friday night but by the end of the weekend I was thinkihng it was really comfortable for all the players.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
            "Freakfest" isn't Free???
            http://www.cityofmadison.com/news/view.cfm?news_id=1681

http://www.channel3000.com/freakfest/index.html

$10 day of FF; $7 otherwise. I'm sure you'll have an extra "Hamilton" with you this weekend!!
            Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-26-2009, 01:28 PM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Should be an intersting series, specially with the Kessel story. Some advice to UNH fans who are coming to madison... Its going to be a freak show on saturday night so my advice to you is don't go to the bars downtown by the Kohl Center, its Halloween here, there is a football game that day against Purdue, its just going to be a crazy day. Friday night should be pretty good but saturday will be really nuts so brace yourself for it...
              The Quest For 7

Comment

$10 day of FF; $7 otherwise. I'm sure you'll have an extra "Hamilton" with you this weekend!!
                Fortunately my niece and her husband (Wisco Season tkt holders) have already purchased the tkts for the Freakfest. We plan to infuse some Yankee $$ into the local Madison economy while visiting. Everybody tells me there is nothing to do in Madison. Any recommendations? We arrive Thursday morning and return on Monday.

Comment

Fortunately my niece and her husband (Wisco Season tkt holders) have already purchased the tkts for the Freakfest. We plan to infuse some Yankee $$ into the local Madison economy while visiting. Everybody tells me there is nothing to do in Madison. Any recommendations? We arrive Thursday morning and return on Monday.
                  nothing to do in Madison??? thats funny, well if your looking for day time activities i'd tour the capital building, only a couple blocks from the Arena, good shopping on state street, saturday we are playing purdue at 11AM so there will be plenty of tailgating things going on around the football stadium which is about 5 blocks from the hockey arena, a few good bars to go to before football games would be Lucky's, Jordans Big 10 or Stadium Bar. Places to eat after the football game or before the hockey game, anywhere on state st (3 Block walk from the Kohl Center) or Dotty Dumplings has great burgers, just a block from the Kohl Center) Wando's and Nitty Gritty, also close to the Kohl have great food and drinks as well. Its going to be a crazy weekend for the UNH fans..
                  The Quest For 7

Comment

uw14 just scratched the surface. I'm sure more posters will chime in to help. For starters on Saturday morning, how about the Farmer's Market around the Capitol Square? Not much produce remaining, but apples, cheese, meats, and other stuff including BAKED GOODS!! Nothing like sticky buns on a Saturday morning, eh!

Whoever told you there is nothing to do here, has not been here. For a city of 210,000 there's plenty to do. (If the weather is reasonable for Muskie fishing, cold, windy & gray, I'm selling my football ticket and going Muskie fishing on Lake Monona; I lost a high 40 incher out there 2 weeks ago and I want her .)

As my post (#2) warned, with Big 10 football, 2 hockey games, and Freakfest going on, it will be nuts.

Comment

(If the weather is reasonable for Muskie fishing, cold, windy & gray, I'm selling my football ticket and going Muskie fishing on Lake Monona; I lost a high 40 incher out there 2 weeks ago and I want her .)
                      Stop with the fishing talk. I just winterized by boat yesterday. Where abouts are you tossing your 8" Suicks/dragging giant suckers around? I fished Mendota quite a lot years ago when my Sister lived in Middleton. \

Things to do:

Maybe MCR will take some UNH'ers fishing. You could make some big bucks for 1 day of enjoyment.

I'm a history nut, there's a very nice veterans Museum near the Capitol.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Stop with the fishing talk. I just winterized by boat yesterday. Where abouts are you tossing your 8" Suicks/dragging giant suckers around? I fished Mendota quite a lot years ago when my Sister lived in Middleton. \
                        Things to do:
                        Maybe MCR will take some UNH'ers fishing. You could make some big bucks for 1 day of enjoyment.
                        On a "local Lake". Monona has the Muskies; at 10,000 acres Mendota's WAY too big to look for them.

I have contacted the UNH athletic department and have offered to take the hockey team, except for Sislo & Kessel, oh and Scott Pavelski, fishing on Mendota from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. I think we can sprinkle 20 guys over 10,000 acres of "cool" water.

I posted on the Badger thread that Derek Lee is cleared to play.....will we see him this weekend?
                        Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I posted on the Badger thread that Derek Lee is cleared to play.....will we see him this weekend?
                          What was wrong him? I know his grandfather had a stroke and not in good shape. I deal with grandfather and know how much he was looking forward to Derek playing this year

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                            What was wrong him? I know his grandfather had a stroke and not in good shape. I deal with grandfather and know how much he was looking forward to Derek playing this year
                            I believe it was an academic-related problem. I remember hearing there was something in his high school transcript that did not clear, preventing him from practicing until last week.

Comment

On a "local Lake". Monona has the Muskies; at 10,000 acres Mendota's WAY too big to look for them.

I have contacted the UNH athletic department and have offered to take the hockey team, except for Sislo & Kessel, fishing on Mendota from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. I think we can sprinkle 20 guys over 10,000 acres of "cool" water.

Not a big fan of Pavelski??

Comment

Working...
                              X