Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU at Lowell, Lowell at BU 10/30-31

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    I'm not going to read this entire wall of what I imagine is total drivel, but just because you want to skate over the fact that Lowell got screwed on a non-call for the second straight game (by the same official) and that Lowell suddenly got called for a penalty after BU got away with assault a minute before doesn't change the fact that it happened.
    slurpees point proven!

Also, I walked around the concourse to re-check the Hobey Baker banner to see if it distinguished the fact that they were Div II winners, and it does not, so yes, it's misleading. Not saying it's incorrect as they obviously won something. Do they not award that any more? I checked the Hobey site and there was no mention of awarding anything other than the award for Div I.

One more thing - Go Blue? There are already two schools in Hockey East that use that, and their colors are just blue. I think you guys are doing a lots of good things from a fanbase development and sports marketing perspective, but I think this is probably not the best move. Especially since the school's color scheme has so much red in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      slurpees point proven!

Also, I walked around the concourse to re-check the Hobey Baker banner to see if it distinguished the fact that they were Div II winners, and it does not, so yes, it's misleading. Not saying it's incorrect as they obviously won something. Do they not award that any more? I checked the Hobey site and there was no mention of awarding anything other than the award for Div I.

One more thing - Go Blue? There are already two schools in Hockey East that use that, and their colors are just blue. I think you guys are doing a lots of good things from a fanbase development and sports marketing perspective, but I think this is probably not the best move. Especially since the school's color scheme has so much red in it.
      They were Hobey Winners. Why should we need to defend that or try and qualify it? Obviously they don't award it anymore- there is no DivII hockey.

We were Blue before (showing my age). The Blue Fan Group started yrs ago and the shirts in some form have been around forever. There just weren't as many of them. We are switching back to Blue sometime soon (maybe next yr).
      Last edited by leswp1; 10-31-2009, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Goes to show what I've been saying all along. Lowell is a low rent school with low rent fans in a low rent city. What else would you expect. Tonight out of BU you saw the heart of champion, coming into the home arena of team jacked up on righteous indignation over last year's HE championship loss....and BU smoked them in their own arena. The more things change, the more they stay the same I guess....
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Goes to show what I've been saying all along. Lowell is a low rent school with low rent fans in a low rent city. What else would you expect. Tonight out of BU you saw the heart of champion, coming into the home arena of team jacked up on righteous indignation over last year's HE championship loss....and BU smoked them in their own arena. The more things change, the more they stay the same I guess....
          And I thought your political commentary was over the top!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            They were Hobey Winners. Why should we need to defend that or try and qualify it? Obviously they don't award it anymore- there is no DivII hockey.
            Your national championship banners qualify it. The Hobey banner should as well. Because it's misleading to say otherwise, especially for the DI winners from those years.

Comment

Your national championship banners qualify it. The Hobey banner should as well. Because it's misleading to say otherwise, especially for the DI winners from those years.
              Next time I'm at Tsongas, I'll bring a giant ladder and a permanent marker.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                And I thought your political commentary was over the top!
                I was thinking the same thing. I guess there are only 2 speeds in that brain- overdrive and idle.

I don't think smoked would be an adjective anyone would use for who ever won that game in overtime. It was a good, tight game with 2 good teams. Bad outcome for us but certainly not a 'smoking'.

Comment

Um it isn't misleading us. Those banners (or their original forms) have been around since I started going 25 yrs ago. Why should we be apologist about it I doubt the DI winners would give a hoot.

This is silly. I don't see why we should make banners to make other teams or fanbases happy. Don't think there is any team that makes their banners to make other teams happy. They do it for their own fanbase. Lowell fans know where they came from.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
                    yes but it's been an issue at amherst for as long as i can remember. it's been an issue at lowell for two weeks.
                    Not true. I clearly cannot remembering it happening when we used to have no fans there at all.
                    MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
                    NCAA Appearance: 2007
                    1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
                    http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rox22 View Post
                      Not true. I clearly cannot remembering it happening when we used to have no fans there at all.
                      Maybe he isn't as old as you are

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Maybe he isn't as old as you are
                        Hey I resemble that remark! And Rox is right - the f-bombs really started back around 2002ish and have gotten worse since then as the crowds have grown. Like Alan said even 100 of us won't change 4,500 students.

I also think the whole f-bomb and sucks thing is becoming more a part of the younger generation, RPI as an example used to have some good chants now its all 'player sucks' 'two minutes for sucking' That said I hope Lowell can actually change the tide, but good luck.

Comment

I liked how part of the band made a lap of the concourse before settling into their seats to start the game. I wonder if the powers at Agganis would implode if the BU band attempted the same. Could be a nice warning for some people to get their asses out of the club room and catch the start of the game.

Hot dogs, while very basic and simple at Tsongas, were nicely executed. And here I thought it was impossible to serve a hot dog that wasn't wrinkled and reheated on a dessicated bun.
                          Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by meff View Post
                            Hey I resemble that remark! And Rox is right - the f-bombs really started back around 2002ish and have gotten worse since then as the crowds have grown. Like Alan said even 100 of us won't change 4,500 students.

I also think the whole f-bomb and sucks thing is becoming more a part of the younger generation, RPI as an example used to have some good chants now its all 'player sucks' 'two minutes for sucking' That said I hope Lowell can actually change the tide, but good luck.

Well...I and a few others around me had quite the potty mouths in the mid to late 90s. And the "three cheers" chant was around when I first started going to games. Don't let your age affect your memory

I don't really have a problem with some naughty language, it's a freaking hockey game, but I do share the sentiment that we need more clever cheers and less "Bull****" and "You suck chants." Although I maintain that those chants are applicable once in a while (like on a controversial no-goal call? )
                            It's easy to root for a winner...

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                              I'm not going to read this entire wall of what I imagine is total drivel, but just because you want to skate over the fact that Lowell got screwed on a non-call for the second straight game (by the same official) and that Lowell suddenly got called for a penalty after BU got away with assault a minute before doesn't change the fact that it happened.
                              Look, try as hard as you want, we're not going to start liking Benedetto here at BU. It's just not going to happen. I know that's your real aim with all these posts about him being pro-BU, but we'll never see it that way and will always boo and insult him. Sorry.
                              Boston University 2009 Champs
                              Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                if only lowell could have such a devoted following of people who are either about to enter their middle age or have well exceeded it, especially those that have watched college hockey for longer than i've been alive and still don't understand the sport. it's really creepy and sad to see so many BU fans, all old enough to be jack parker's first-born, putting on jerseys and waving the pom poms for kids that could literally be their own children. there's something unreservedly embarrassing about your being proud of the accomplishments of people half your age. is it because your college years were so good or so bad that you refuse to move on from them?

if lowell had more fans like that, then it would truly deserve to win through dubious calls just like bu.

Comment

Working...
                                X