X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU 2009-2010 Season Thread

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
    I am not saying it is right or wrong but Motzko will pick one guy soon. .
    I think Motzko sticks with a rotation until playoff time and if one guy is playing really well at that point then he might ride that guy. Until then, my guess is we continue to see a rotation.

Of course I thought by this time Lee would be the clear cut #1 guy so what do I know...
    "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
      I think Motzko sticks with a rotation until playoff time and if one guy is playing really well at that point then he might ride that guy. Until then, my guess is we continue to see a rotation.

Of course I thought by this time Lee would be the clear cut #1 guy so what do I know...
      I bet if the 1st half stats and wins/losses were switched for the two goalies Lee would easily be the clear cut #1 going into the 2nd half. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post
        I bet if the 1st half stats and wins/losses were switched for the two goalies Lee would easily be the clear cut #1 going into the 2nd half. Weird.
        Funny how that works.
        Bob is making me concerned
        I am the voice of reason

Comment

FTLT...How did Dunn play bad on Sat night? He made a lot of good saves on Sat night...he had a brutal screw up trying to make a play on Sunday....I can live with a mistake when the kid is trying to make a play....Start Dunn fri night and Lee sat so he can have a little bit more rest after the grind of the WJC....Lee seems like a pretty resilient guy and I think will be fine and he did a solid job getting the US team to that guy...job is still open and competition brings out the best...one will rise to the top and with the way this D core plays, goaltending is going to NEED to win this teams games if they are going to have a successful finish to the season...and to me a successful finish is winning an NCAA game and going from there

Comment

Here is a piece from Kevin a's blog about yesterday's practice. It is good to see Motzko make the team skate.

Worst. Bagskate. Ever.
            Posted 1/5/2010 7:58 PM CST on sctimes.com
            So much for sweeping.

That's what some of the Huskies were thinking at practice on Tuesday at the National Hockey Center. They took Monday off, as mandated by the fact that they played a Saturday-Sunday series against Brown (5-1 and 5-3 wins), and showed up Tuesday in good humor.

That evaporated after an hour-and-15-minute practice when Bob Motzko proceeded to condition them with the most intense bag skate I can recall in 12 years of covering the program. (Equipment manager Jeremiah Minkel said he remembers one under Craig Dahl where the players had to crawl the length of the ice, but I guess I was somewhere else that day.)

The players (grouped in lines and defensive pairs) skated blue line and back, center line and back, far blue line and back, goal line and back several times. Then they lined up along the half wall and skated side-to-side across the rink several times -- even stepping into and out of the benches to touch the far wall before returning and skating the length of the ice. After that, it was each individual's turn to skate side-to-side from wall-to-wall twice before the next skater was whistled to do so. After a couple of rounds of that, Motzko finally relented.

Captain Garrett Raboin agreed it was the worst conditioning skate of his tenure, but the good news is he and most of the older players held up under the strain fairly well.

"It was rough, but it could've been worse," Raboin said as he left the rink.

Nick Oslund also looked in fine form -- no small feat for a big man.

"It really wasn't that bad," Oslund said.

Tell that to freshman Ben Hanowski. He almost crawled to the bench after it was over and remained sitting there long after the others had left for the dressing room.

"The older guys were like 'Aw, it's not that bad,' " Hanowski said. "The younger guys were like (choking)."

Motzko said his conditioning stint had no other motive than just that: conditioning.

"Just cleaning out the cobwebs," Motzko said. "Those are nice to do when you're not mad."

He wasn't on Tuesday, though you have to wonder if maybe he wasn't thinking about sending a message. Saturday was a 1-goal game until early in the third period and Sunday was a one-goal game with less than two minutes to go. On home ice, perhaps the Huskies should've been more dominant over the Bears.

"Were we rusty? Absolutely," Motzko said. "Did we play our best hockey? Nope. But we're going to get back to it and the guys should feel good about themselves."

Of course, he said that BEFORE Tuesday's bag skate.

HUSKIES NOTEBOOK:

* Sam Zabkowicz skated in a no-contact jersey on Tuesday. He looked a little ginger, but should return to action soon -- maybe yet this weekend.

* Brian Volpei (shoulder) did not skate. He worked out briefly on an eliptical machine, but he won't play this weekend and the next series, at Quinnipiac, is a question mark.
            Of course EVERYONE had to skate, because he doesn't have the courage to call out the ones that didn't skate hard Saturday or Sunday night. What did Rioux do wrong to deserve that? Myabe if he would sit one of those halo adorned boys once in awhile he might get some production from them 5 on 5!

Comment

Originally posted by wild77 View Post
              Of course EVERYONE had to skate, because he doesn't have the courage to call out the ones that didn't skate hard Saturday or Sunday night. What did Rioux do wrong to deserve that? Myabe if he would sit one of those halo adorned boys once in awhile he might get some production from them 5 on 5!
              You really need to let it go with the 5 on 5 stuff, especially after a weekend with their biggest output of the season.
              They all did it because they are a team and if those games were too close in his mind, the whole team should be the ones learning, yes even Rioux who apparently hasn't learned enough in practice to secure ice time.
              But keep with your conspiracy, it's amusing.

Crossbar, I'm talking about Sunday's game.

If you factor their play into it, doubtful, no one has taken the job, no matter what stats say.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                If you factor their play into it, doubtful, no one has taken the job, no matter what stats say.
                I would say the exact opposite. If you factor in their play it should be even more obvious who has taken the job. Winning at UND, at Denver, at Tech, Union, and UMD. One bad game at home against Wisco. Where's your logic? Goalie #2 had problems against Union, UMD, Mich Tech, UND, DU, and CC. Actually thanks for posting that. By going back and looking this up I'm even more convinced.
                Last edited by motox; 01-06-2010, 10:01 PM.

Comment

You really need to let it go with the 5 on 5 stuff, especially after a weekend with their biggest output of the season.
                  They all did it because they are a team and if those games were too close in his mind, the whole team should be the ones learning, yes even Rioux who apparently hasn't learned enough in practice to secure ice time.
                  But keep with your conspiracy, it's amusing.

Crossbar, I'm talking about Sunday's game.

Sorry, no conspiracy theories just stating opinions. How can Rioux feel he is part of the team when he isn't playing? Should he just be happy being part of the team? Should he be happy that lazy play by a handful of "teammates" caused him to skate? When players know that effort in practice can get them a lineup spot it drives up the intensity in practice and makes everyone better. Not the case here. Why does Mike Lee get the benefit of having a few bad saves, but Rioux doesn't? Doesn't Bob have the responsibility of developing everyone?

Comment

Sorry, no conspiracy theories just stating opinions. How can Rioux feel he is part of the team when he isn't playing? Should he just be happy being part of the team? Should he be happy that lazy play by a handful of "teammates" caused him to skate? When players know that effort in practice can get them a lineup spot it drives up the intensity in practice and makes everyone better. Not the case here. Why does Mike Lee get the benefit of having a few bad saves, but Rioux doesn't? Doesn't Bob have the responsibility of developing everyone?
                    I know where you are coming from, but life isn't fair. Does everybody at your job get treated the same? I know at my job they don't. Motzko like all coaches has his favorites. I am not saying it is fair, but it is part of playing hockey at SCSU and on every other team in college hockey.
                    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Is Rioux red-shirting this year?

Edit: SCSU website says he already red shirted. He must just suck lol
                      Last edited by Husky4Life; 01-07-2010, 02:37 PM.
                      SCSU!

Comment

Originally posted by Husky4Life View Post
                        Is Rioux red-shirting this year?

Edit: SCSU website says he already red shirted. He must just suck lol
                        He had to sit out a year because he played major junior.
                        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

He had to sit out a year because he played major junior.
                          Does that mean he can redshirt this year or no?

Comment

I don't think a goalie gets in a good groove playing one game a week.
                            Completely disagree. People act like if they don't play, they sit around all week eating cheetos on the couch. Both goalies get way more time spent in practice than 2 hours each week in a game. Unless things change, I think Dunn should get 60% to 70% of the games, so mostly a rotation, but he's deserved a full series now and then.

A. He's not the top goalie in the WCHA, Cheverie is and while the stats may say he's #2, he's not better than Eidsness, Howe, Gudmandson or Bennett IMO either.
                            First off, lets get something straight.

Dunn < Chevy
                            Dunn > Eidsness, Eidsness just gets his numbers inflated because UND's a great team, and after a while teams decide to dump bad shots on net because maybe they'll catch a bounce.
                            Dunn > Howe right now. Next year, the freshman will probably switch that, but for now, I'll take Dunn
                            Dunn > Gudmanson, if you don't see that, then the rest of this may be pointless
                            Dunn = Bennett at worst. And with the UW goalies, I'm not just talking straight numbers, but how good of goalies they are, which I thought was what we're talking about.

And seriously FTLT, going 1-2-1 in 4 games is way too small of a sample size.

Amen brotha! I'm really afraid Rioux may say "Screw this!" and move on after this year, if not earlier depending on how well he gets along with the coaches and team.

Does that mean he can redshirt this year or no?
                            No, you can only redshirt once was my understanding.
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

So, At the restaurant I serve and bar tend at, I get there and there's a table ready for me right away, a birthday party, and who happens to be there but the MOTZKO's. They were all really nice and down to earth, and strangely all of them recognized me from my past seasons shenanigans. Bobs like"wait... aren't you the guy who used to wear viking horns?" I sheepishly replied"yes" he then went on to say how much he enjoys the fans and appreciated the lack of swearing he's heard in the cheers lately(at least for the dog pound). And he tips 20% what a guy. At the end of the meal I said "So, you going to get some revenge from the loss in houghton?" To which he replied "most definitely"
                              A Viking, no A Husky fan... nothing like being a professional student

I will always be proud to be a husky fan!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                                No, you can only redshirt once was my understanding.
                                I should've been more clear, was he required to redshirt last year or is there a rule about sitting out due to the major junior where it didn't require redshirting? I know very little when it comes to that stuff.

Based on the post by Husky4Life I'm assuming he did redshirt last year. Either way, Rioux needs to play!

Comment

Working...
                                X