X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU 2009-2010 Season Thread

Originally posted by motox View Post
    He let in 3 soft goals.......in a huge game! It doesn't have an impact on the Huskies but the kid is still young and right now isn't getting it done in the big games. Wow you really love to twist things. Are you going to try to argue that Lee has played better than Dunn in the first half of the season? Dunn is obviously playing at a much higher level than he has in years past, how many games THIS YEAR has Dunn started back to back? That's a horrible excuse for not letting Dunn be the guy. If they give him the chance and he lays an egg then by all means go to Lee. But in my mind Dunn has earned at least a chance to be the clear #1. He has had one bad game this year (two if you really want to count Sat night against Brown.) This has way more to do with how well Dunn has played and not that Lee has been all bad, but we all expected a ton from a true freshman coming into his first year in the WCHA.
    Where have I ever said Lee played better in the first half?
    Talk about twisting things.
    So you really think that coming back with a Gold medal around his neck he's going to be completely shaken about giving up 3 in that game when he was a big part of them being in the Gold medal game in the first place?
    Man if that's true, then I guess all the talk about Lee's mental makeup and being able to forget bad goals or bad games right away was way off.

My point has always been, rotate them until one grabs it, neither has done that.
    Dunn had a chance this weekend, and he didn't play well on Saturday, he hasn't earned it yet.
    What the hell is so wrong with a rotation?
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      Denver won a national title doing it with Mannino and Fisher.
      Uh... yeah.... that was my point. I was saying that teams HAVE been successful with 2 goalies. Why would I say we should use them both, then agrue that nobody's had success with that before?

Oh and Dunn has gone back to back in the same weekend 4 times, only won once and that's because it was Brown.
      So, in other words 1-2-1? That's not horrible, especially because SCSU hasn't exactly had a powerhouse team since Dunn has been around.
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        I completely disagreee. As long as one hasn't emerged, what's the harm in giving them both a good amount of playing time? I know nobody's ever done that in college hockey and been successful.
        I am not saying it is right or wrong but Motzko will pick one guy soon. He has always been a one goalie type of coach and it is obvious he doesn't want Dunn to be that guy. Lee sieved out big time last night, but it was his third game in 4 nights, which basically never happens even in the NHL.

Before people jump down my throat on this one I have been on record that Dunn has played better and deserves more starts. I think I have just come to realize that is never going to happen. Unlike FTLT I have no problem with people questioning Motzko on his goalie play. Dunn has better numbers and has played great for the most part when given the chance. Mike Lee on the other hand has played great one game and then laid an egg the next. That is not surprising for a freshman.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post
          He let in 3 soft goals.......in a huge game! It doesn't have an impact on the Huskies but the kid is still young and right now isn't getting it done in the big games. Wow you really love to twist things. Are you going to try to argue that Lee has played better than Dunn in the first half of the season? Dunn is obviously playing at a much higher level than he has in years past, how many games THIS YEAR has Dunn started back to back? That's a horrible excuse for not letting Dunn be the guy. If they give him the chance and he lays an egg then by all means go to Lee. But in my mind Dunn has earned at least a chance to be the clear #1. He has had one bad game this year (two if you really want to count Sat night against Brown.) This has way more to do with how well Dunn has played and not that Lee has been all bad, but we all expected a ton from a true freshman coming into his first year in the WCHA.
          If coaches used FTLT logic Scotty Meyer never would have been an all-american for the Huskies. He blew a$s in his first couple years and then the switch went off when he got the chance to be the man.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            I am not saying it is right or wrong but Motzko will pick one guy soon. He has always been a one goalie type of coach and it is obvious he doesn't want Dunn to be that guy. Lee sieved out big time last night, but it was his third game in 4 nights, which basically never happens even in the NHL.

Before people jump down my throat on this one I have been on record that Dunn has played better and deserves more starts. I think I have just come to realize that is never going to happen. Unlike FTLT I have no problem with people questioning Motzko on his goalie play. Dunn has better numbers and has played great for the most part when given the chance. Mike Lee on the other hand has played great one game and then laid an egg the next. That is not surprising for a freshman.
            I get really tired of you saying I have a problem with people questioning Motzko, stop doing that, especially when you don't know what the hell you're are talking about when it comes to me most of the time.
            How many times do I need to say I don't care who plays if they actually earn it?
            Right now, I don't think Dunn has earned the number one job and I do not trust him on back to back nights, my own personal opinion.
            My problem last night was motox somehow thinking that Lee's play last night is somehow justification that Dunn should get more starts here because Lee can't get it done as a Husky right now because he sieved out in a big game.
            The leap in that thinking is mind-boggling.
            Guess goalies can't ever have bad games in big games according to him, or they obviously don't have the tools to do it even though it's happened to guys who are going to end up the hall of fame one day.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

If coaches used FTLT logic Scotty Meyer never would have been an all-american for the Huskies. He blew a$s in his first couple years and then the switch went off when he got the chance to be the man.
              I'm not saying Dunn should not play, I'm saying I think the rotation should continue because I don't think Dunn has done enough yet to earn the starting job.
              For God's sake man, pay attention would you please?
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

I get really tired of you saying I have a problem with people questioning Motzko, stop doing that, especially when you don't know what the hell you're are talking about when it comes to me most of the time.
                How many times do I need to say I don't care who plays if they actually earn it?
                Right now, I don't think Dunn has earned the number one job and I do not trust him on back to back nights, my own personal opinion.
                My problem last night was motox somehow thinking that Lee's play last night is somehow justification that Dunn should get more starts here because Lee can't get it done as a Husky right now because he sieved out in a big game.
                The leap in that thinking is mind-boggling.
                Guess goalies can't ever have bad games in big games according to him, or they obviously don't have the tools to do it even though it's happened to guys who are going to end up the hall of fame one day.
                I love how you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Dunn for the most part has played great and has earned more starts. What else does the guy have to do to get more starts? he has played 2 bad games all year and even though he had a brain fart on saturday, he still has given up far less bad goals than Lee has. I agree Lee's bad game has nothing to do with the rest of the season per say, but it was yet another game where he let in soft goals. Mark my words, I think Lee will be the every game starter no later than the Minesota series. I have no inside information on this, but it is just a gut feeling.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

I'm not saying Dunn should not play, I'm saying I think the rotation should continue because I don't think Dunn has done enough yet to earn the starting job.
                  For God's sake man, pay attention would you please?
                  What else does the guy have to do in your mind to get both starts? He is 6-2 with a 2.24 GAA and a .925%. One of his losses he played bad and the other one he played well and lost to #1 Miami at Miami. It is obvious Lee is going to be the man for the stretch run.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

I love how you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Dunn for the most part has played great and has earned more starts. What else does the guy have to do to get more starts? he has played 2 bad games all year and even though he had a brain fart on saturday, he still has given up far less bad goals than Lee has. I agree Lee's bad game has nothing to do with the rest of the season per say, but it was yet another game where he let in soft goals. Mark my words, I think Lee will be the every game starter no later than the Minesota series. I have no inside information on this, but it is just a gut feeling.
                    I agree he has played well, and earned more starts and if Lee sits for a weekend, even this weekend, fine.
                    What I would like to see is what I have never seen, good back to back games.
                    If he had repeated his Friday performance Saturday, I'd be saying something different, he didn't and really never has in back to back games.
                    Hell if you wanted to have him start a Saturday then start the following Friday for a back to back, do it, but he needs to step up.
                    Yes I know he hasn't played in many, and yes he was hurt so he may not have had much of a chance, but I do think you are right and he won't get one, guess he won't be an All-American.
                    My point is neither goalie has stepped up to grab it, neither one of them, and Motzko knows this, so why shouldn't the rotation continue?
                    What I want is to see him step up, you want it so bad, go TAKE it, I don't see that out of Dunn and I don't think I will no matter what he says.
                    I don't think he's a bad goalie I just don't see a starter in him, I don't see a goalie that can take it over and shutdown opponents for a decent stretch of 4-5+ games.
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Here is a piece from Kevin a's blog about yesterday's practice. It is good to see Motzko make the team skate.

Worst. Bagskate. Ever.
                      Posted 1/5/2010 7:58 PM CST on sctimes.com
                      So much for sweeping.

That's what some of the Huskies were thinking at practice on Tuesday at the National Hockey Center. They took Monday off, as mandated by the fact that they played a Saturday-Sunday series against Brown (5-1 and 5-3 wins), and showed up Tuesday in good humor.

That evaporated after an hour-and-15-minute practice when Bob Motzko proceeded to condition them with the most intense bag skate I can recall in 12 years of covering the program. (Equipment manager Jeremiah Minkel said he remembers one under Craig Dahl where the players had to crawl the length of the ice, but I guess I was somewhere else that day.)

The players (grouped in lines and defensive pairs) skated blue line and back, center line and back, far blue line and back, goal line and back several times. Then they lined up along the half wall and skated side-to-side across the rink several times -- even stepping into and out of the benches to touch the far wall before returning and skating the length of the ice. After that, it was each individual's turn to skate side-to-side from wall-to-wall twice before the next skater was whistled to do so. After a couple of rounds of that, Motzko finally relented.

Captain Garrett Raboin agreed it was the worst conditioning skate of his tenure, but the good news is he and most of the older players held up under the strain fairly well.

"It was rough, but it could've been worse," Raboin said as he left the rink.

Nick Oslund also looked in fine form -- no small feat for a big man.

"It really wasn't that bad," Oslund said.

Tell that to freshman Ben Hanowski. He almost crawled to the bench after it was over and remained sitting there long after the others had left for the dressing room.

"The older guys were like 'Aw, it's not that bad,' " Hanowski said. "The younger guys were like (choking)."

Motzko said his conditioning stint had no other motive than just that: conditioning.

"Just cleaning out the cobwebs," Motzko said. "Those are nice to do when you're not mad."

He wasn't on Tuesday, though you have to wonder if maybe he wasn't thinking about sending a message. Saturday was a 1-goal game until early in the third period and Sunday was a one-goal game with less than two minutes to go. On home ice, perhaps the Huskies should've been more dominant over the Bears.

"Were we rusty? Absolutely," Motzko said. "Did we play our best hockey? Nope. But we're going to get back to it and the guys should feel good about themselves."

Of course, he said that BEFORE Tuesday's bag skate.

HUSKIES NOTEBOOK:

* Sam Zabkowicz skated in a no-contact jersey on Tuesday. He looked a little ginger, but should return to action soon -- maybe yet this weekend.

* Brian Volpei (shoulder) did not skate. He worked out briefly on an eliptical machine, but he won't play this weekend and the next series, at Quinnipiac, is a question mark.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

I agree he has played well, and earned more starts and if Lee sits for a weekend, even this weekend, fine.
                        If he had repeated his Friday performance Saturday, I'd be saying something different, he didn't and really never has in back to back games.
                        Hell if you wanted to have him start a Saturday then start the following Friday for a back to back, do it, but he needs to step up.
                        Yes I know he hasn't played in many, and yes he was hurt so he may not have had much of a chance, but I do think you are right and he won't get one, guess he won't be an All-American.
                        My point is neither goalie has stepped up to grab it, neither one of them, and Motzko knows this, so why shouldn't the rotation continue?
                        What I want is to see him step up, you want it so bad, go TAKE it, I don't see that out of Dunn and I don't think I will no matter what he says.
                        I don't think he's a bad goalie I just don't see a starter in him, I don't see a goalie that can take it over and shutdown opponents for a decent stretch of 4-5+ games.
                        Perhaps the reason you have never seen good back to back games, is that he has rarely had that opportunity. However, I would say that 2 wins last weekend counts as 2 good back to back games. It's true that love is blind, and apparently your love for Lee has blinded you to the reality that Dunn is a great goalie and deserves a shot. Apparently the top goalie in the WCHA isn't good enough? You're full of poopy.
                        Bob is making me concerned
                        I am the voice of reason

Comment

First off, the comment about Lee winning last night=him being a stud the rest of the season or Lee losing=him being a sieve, was more of a joke. I'll try to be more clear next time. However, TB gets it.....last night was a huge game and Lee let in 3 soft goals. Sure it was a lot of games in a row and he may have been worn down but I'm not going to sugarcoat it and give excuses as to why he played bad. Not sure how many times I have to say this but I think Lee is a good goalie right now and he will be great.

I don't even have that much of a problem with a rotation but IMO Dunn has earned the chance of being the #1 in the second half. He had ONE chance to play back to back this year and just because he didn't play great the 2nd night (even though he got the win) that means he can never be the guy?

In the past Motzko has used only one goalie but I could see him using both the rest of the year. I honestly could argue for both goalies as I think the experience Lee is gaining this year is invaluable. Maybe it's just selfish on my part but if Dunn is playing better and gives the team a better chance to win night in and night out, then I want that guy in net. They are in the middle of the hunt this year and could turn this into a great season. Plus you never know what next year might bring (look at CC last year.) This team needs to win now and in the end I don't care who is net as long as they put up W's.

Comment

I don't think a goalie gets in a good groove playing one game a week. I don't think either goalie is going to play great until he just picks one. I know Denver won with a rotation, but that situation is rare. I get rotating at the beginning of the year, but he has a big enough sample to make a decision in my opinion. It is the second half of the season now and he needs to pick one goalie and stick with him for a couple weeks in a row so he can get in a groove. If he plays well, stick with him the rest of the year.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                              Perhaps the reason you have never seen good back to back games, is that he has rarely had that opportunity. However, I would say that 2 wins last weekend counts as 2 good back to back games. It's true that love is blind, and apparently your love for Lee has blinded you to the reality that Dunn is a great goalie and deserves a shot. Apparently the top goalie in the WCHA isn't good enough? You're full of poopy.
                              A. He's not the top goalie in the WCHA, Cheverie is and while the stats may say he's #2, he's not better than Eidsness, Howe, Gudmandson or Bennett IMO either.
                              B. As I've said now several times, you want to give him another shot at back to back games, go ahead, I just don't think he'll get it done.
                              C. Yes I think Lee will end up the better goalie and we will win more with Lee than we will with Dunn, but right now (again, I don't know how many times I need to say it) Dunn is playing better but not well enough IMO to be "declared" the #1 guy.
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

A. He's not the top goalie in the WCHA, Cheverie is and while the stats may say he's #2, he's not better than Eidsness, Howe, Gudmandson or Bennett IMO either.
                                B. As I've said now several times, you want to give him another shot at back to back games, go ahead, I just don't think he'll get it done.
                                C. Yes I think Lee will end up the better goalie and we will win more with Lee than we will with Dunn, but right now (again, I don't know how many times I need to say it) Dunn is playing better but not well enough IMO to be "declared" the #1 guy.
                                What part of poopy don't you understand?
                                Besides, everything you know is wrong.
                                Bob is making me concerned
                                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Working...
                                X