X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU 2009-2010 Season Thread

Lots of good banter, I like it!

I'm typically a glass half full kind of guy but this team makes it tough to stay optimistic.

I think the key is our sub standard D. They're ok defensively but are a liability when it comes to the transition game. A lot of talk in the past couple pages about various forwards not doing this or not doing that but I think a lot of that talk is misplaced.

If we had 1 or 2 more guys like Zabs - guys that can really skate and move the puck - you'd see a big jump in offensive performance. Zabs left the game in the first period on Saturday and our offense just collapsed, I don't think that is a coincidence. Teams know our weakness and they forecheck like mad because they know our guys can't move the puck.

Bottom line, Motzko has to find a way to recruit more talent on the D line. The forward talent is there but it's tough for them to showcase that talent due to the poor transition game.

Oh, and Lee has to stop being a sieve.

My .02....
    "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Vicar View Post
      Skeets: Read the report on the game last night. This kid might be the second coming of the great one I call Arneson Maximus? When I saw him at a Husky game last year he looked all of about 125 pounds. Could he ever live up to the reputation of the GREAT ONE, ARNESON MAXIMUS?
      He could be Arneson-like, as he continues to develop. Several tendencies that were similar. He can float in and steal the puck from the guys mucking along the boards. He has also apparently grown. He's now approaching 6ft. and has some heft. He's gonna be a factor. Also has the hockey hair going for him.

Where do I read the report on the game last night?
      Bob is making me concerned
      I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
        He could be Arneson-like, as he continues to develop. Several tendencies that were similar. He can float in and steal the puck from the guys mucking along the boards. He has also apparently grown. He's now approaching 6ft. and has some heft. He's gonna be a factor. Also has the hockey hair going for him.

Where do I read the report on the game last night?
        Da Huskies.com
        There is Hope . . .

Comment

Originally posted by The Vicar View Post
          Da Huskies.com
          greatest evah!
          SCSU: A tradition of RESPECT!

Da greatest site in da history of da world!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
            I think the key is our sub standard D. They're ok defensively but are a liability when it comes to the transition game. A lot of talk in the past couple pages about various forwards not doing this or not doing that but I think a lot of that talk is misplaced.

If we had 1 or 2 more guys like Zabs - guys that can really skate and move the puck - you'd see a big jump in offensive performance. Zabs left the game in the first period on Saturday and our offense just collapsed, I don't think that is a coincidence. Teams know our weakness and they forecheck like mad because they know our guys can't move the puck.

Bottom line, Motzko has to find a way to recruit more talent on the D line. The forward talent is there but it's tough for them to showcase that talent due to the poor transition game.

Oh, and Lee has to stop being a sieve.

My .02....
            Interesting perspective and I agree. I think this is one topic that isn't covered much by us. The transition game is very important. I think you have made a good point with zabs. He can skate and move the puck but, to add a bit to that, its also about positioning and finding holes to move into so the puck can be moved. From what I have seen he does well with all of those.

Any team can have guys very good in the D end or on O but going from one to the other is what makes or breaks opportunities. Now that I think about it, that's something I have noticed being a big issue. The Huskies typically have a hard time on that second pass out of the D end. There is the initial turnover in our D end and the first pass out. Then comes the disconnect. Either the player doesn't have the puck in a position to move it or doesn't have anyone in position to move it to. You see a lot of their good rushes come off of very good first, second and third passes out of the D zone. It also works the other way. They typically don't have enough pressure or strength to stop puck movement into their D end off those first and second passes.

Now this is my opinion and like i said before I don't know the intricacies of the game play itself (other than what I have visually observed over 8 years) but I can offer the opinion from a basketball perspective where transition play is very important, similar to hockey. If anyone could provide more insight as to how the hockey aspect of transition game works I would love to hear and learn more.
            Last edited by Icedavis; 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM.
            I survived the SCSU E. Coli scare of 2005.

Inventor of the "Mine!" chant.

Signs, Signs every game there's signs:
            I ♥ Lamp!!
            Got Nodl?
            Bow down to Bobby!
            Ooooohhhh! Not just Spanish for rice!

Comment

Definitely boner worthy. Scored a hat trick. Speedy, skilled with the puck. Scored on a major league wrap-around. Not selfish, made nice passes. With a better supporting class he would score a bunch more. A few nice MILF. Several GILF. A few groupies. We got invited into the locker room for a pre-game pep talk for the boys. We got the crowd following our cheers and chants. They virtually begged us to come back for more games. Very friendly crowd. We posed for several pictures. Got fans of the game acknowledgement. Rave reviews from all.
              I heard you created quite a scene (all good of course)! Was there really a section P?
              President of the Jason Stewart Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Husky Fan Roy View Post
                I heard you created quite a scene (all good of course)! Was there really a section P?
                Only in Kolorful Ken's mind. Who gave you a report on the scene?
                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Only in Kolorful Ken's mind. Who gave you a report on the scene?
                  Benik's mom, she said she especially appreciated the 'Benik's mom' cheer!
                  President of the Jason Stewart Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Icedavis View Post
                    Interesting perspective and I agree. I think this is one topic that isn't covered much by us. The transition game is very important. I think you have made a good point with zabs. He can skate and move the puck but, to add a bit to that, its also about positioning and finding holes to move into so the puck can be moved. From what I have seen he does well with all of those.

Any team can have guys very good in the D end or on O but going from one to the other is what makes or breaks opportunities. Now that I think about it, that's something I have noticed being a big issue. The Huskies typically have a hard time on that second pass out of the D end. There is the initial turnover in our D end and the first pass out. Then comes the disconnect. Either the player doesn't have the puck in a position to move it or doesn't have anyone in position to move it to. You see a lot of their good rushes come off of very good first, second and third passes out of the D zone. It also works the other way. They typically don't have enough pressure or strength to stop puck movement into their D end off those first and second passes.

Now this is my opinion and like i said before I don't know the intricacies of the game play itself (other than what I have visually observed over 8 years) but I can offer the opinion from a basketball perspective where transition play is very important, similar to hockey. If anyone could provide more insight as to how the hockey aspect of transition game works I would love to hear and learn more.
                    It hasn't been covered much? That is pretty much the first thing said about the defense. Personally I think some of them like The great Dane and Johnson are starting to show they can move the puck better than I thought. I wouldn't say they are world beaters or anything, but they are improving..... It wasn't only the defensensemans fault on saturday night. the Forwards need to be more consistant on the back check and the goalies need to stop the shots they are suppose too and some they are not suppose too.
                    Last edited by scsutommyboy; 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM.
                    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

The thing that stinks about Joey Benik's current situation is that he is the really the only one on St. Francis who can make any noise, and because of this, teams stick 3 guys on him alone...He makes sick passes to his teammates when he is covered like this, but his team mates aren't good enough to capitalize. I am extremely excited to see him play with other people thay know what's up!

Also, I like the ringback tone Skeeter!

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        It hasn't been covered much? That is pretty much the first thing said about the defense. Personally I think some of them like The great Dane and Johnson are starting to show they can move the puck better than I thought. I wouldn't say they are world beaters or anything, but they are improving..... It wasn't only the defensensemans fault on saturday night. the Forwards need to be more consistant on the back check and the goalies need to stop the shots they are suppose too and some they are not suppose too.
                        I can go back and look but i dont remember references to the transition game or positioning in transition. I do remember many many comments about speed, strength, ability to score/hit and such, which are more relevant to one end of the ice or the other, not so much the in between. However, I probably just read those comments more straightforward then reading between the lines.
                        I survived the SCSU E. Coli scare of 2005.

Inventor of the "Mine!" chant.

Signs, Signs every game there's signs:
                        I ♥ Lamp!!
                        Got Nodl?
                        Bow down to Bobby!
                        Ooooohhhh! Not just Spanish for rice!

Comment

Roy,You got something going there?

STB. I'm just looking for some Tush.
                          Last edited by Skeeterman; 12-20-2009, 08:23 PM.
                          I am the voice of reason

Comment

Recruit Update

Forwards
                            Milan: 36 points (21G 15A) 9PIM in 35 games for Penticton (BCHL)
                            Dowd: 17 points (5G 12A) 26PIM +3 in 21 games for Indiana (USHL)
                            Oliver: 3 points (0G 3A) 46PIM E in 23 games for Fargo (USHL)
                            Ravndalen: 10 points (7G, 3A) 32PIM -2 in 24 games for Waterloo (USHL)
                            Benik: 15 points (11G 4A) 2PIM in 9 games for Minnesota (MNJHL)
                            Holka: 32 points (18G 14A) 55PIM in 38 games for Penticton (BCHL)

Defense
                            Jensen: 8 points (0G, 8A) 4PIM +10 in 21 games for Green Bay (USHL)
                            Gravel: 1 point (1G 0A) 4PIM +1 in 18 games for Sioux City (USHL)
                            Daly: 23 points (7G 16A) 51PIM in 37 games for Langley (BCHL)
                            Burrell: 17 points (1G 16A) 19PIM +6 in 30 games for Wenatchee (NAHL)

HS
                            Benik: 25 points (16G 9A) 4PIM +19 in 8 games for St. Francis
                            Hendrickson: 23 points (12G 11A) 8PIM +7 in 9 games for Virginia
                            Hendrickson: 24 points (9G 15A) in 24 games for Team North (Elite League)
                            Prochno: 15 points (4G 11A) 2PIM +8 in 6 games for Minnetonka
                            Prochno: 12 points (3G 9A) 12PIM in 25 games for Team Southwest (Elite League)
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Now that we've gotten those "the glass is half full" *******s out of this thread....

Anyone else get the sick feeling that the Gophers are gonna finally figure out how to play good hockey and right the ship around... oh... January 20th?
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                                Now that we've gotten those "the glass is half full" *******s out of this thread....
                                Hi.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X