X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU 2009-2010 Season Thread

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    I can see what Montelena is saying when if you read the majority of these posts and didn't know anything about our record or scoring or anything else, it'd be easy to think we are somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-14 and very few players that are playing should be playing at all, or maybe even be D-1 hockey players.
    It's just a lot of negative posting, what's going wrong, what doesn't work, who doesn't do this, who can't do that, etc, with very little talk of what they are doing right.

And I do have to say this on Ryan, yes he has 3 points as a Husky and 2 goals, all of which came in the first 2 games he played.
    His last 12 games, 0 points, so I don't really get where this "he can score" stuff comes from.
    We would be hammering other forwards who couldn't produce a point in 12 games, no matter how much playing time they got or what line they were on.
    But he hustles, so that's ok, he doesn't need to score right? (even if every other forward besides him and Peckskamp has at least 3 points this year (oops, there I go looking at stats again, silly me))
    Also, Euro, Motzko isn't a god, he's a hockey coach but he does know more about his own team than you or I ever will so excuse me if I don't criticize his choices of who plays and who doesn't.
    If he says it's based off practice and I don't see practice, who am I to criticize it?
    The players aren't above crticism, see the above.
    And if you think I make no points than what's supplied to me, well my response is opinions are like *******s....
    You should really reconsider having children. You have the protective mother thing down to a T.

Until Motzko proves he is a winner and moves this program forward he will not get the same leash other coaches in the league do. If Dean Blais or Haskstol was coaching this team the fans wouldn't be restless like they are. Don't get me wrong I like coach Motzko, but you still need to win. He needs to start proving he can get this program over the hump. If they go 12-6 or better in the second half and win a NCAA game we will look back and say this is a successful season. Anything less than that is status quo and that is not good enough. You probably think that is to harsh, but if this program is ever going to move forward that needs to be the goals. I think if you talked to Motzko he would think that expectation is fair......
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

I can see what Montelena is saying when if you read the majority of these posts and didn't know anything about our record or scoring or anything else, it'd be easy to think we are somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-14 and very few players that are playing should be playing at all, or maybe even be D-1 hockey players.
      We're not 4-14, but we've won 3 series in the season; 3 of 4 from Union at home, 3 of 4 from tUMD at home, and sweeping in Anchorage. Know what those 3 teams have in common? I believe we have more talent than them (some may argue with tUMD, but I solely believe we're a better team ON PAPER). And yet tUMD is ahead of us, because they make less mistakes, show up more consistently, and finish better than we do. And for the most part, I'm not criticizing players for not having talent, especially our forwards. Its normally effort and performance.

It's just a lot of negative posting, what's going wrong, what doesn't work, who doesn't do this, who can't do that, etc, with very little talk of what they are doing right.
      Again, you're wrong. I've compliment Dunn, the Dane, Oslund, Johnson, Eddy, Marvin and even Peckskamp this year for having really good games. Problem is, that for the number of games I've seen live, the list of guys who've had a really good game should be higher than that lot. I'll also throw in the mix of players like Zabs, LeBlanc and Feslter, guys who when I see them don't normally wow me, but come out and play good, not spectacular, consistent hockey. That's still leaving a lot of guys who need to step up, and Raboin's at the top of that list.

And I do have to say this on Ryan, yes he has 3 points as a Husky and 2 goals, all of which came in the first 2 games he played.
      His last 12 games, 0 points, so I don't really get where this "he can score" stuff comes from.
      Ugh, for the 4th time, because if you give Ryan 14 games over a year and a half, spread all those games out, and put him on lines without much supporting offensive talent, don't tell me he can't score. I'm not saying he can, I'm saying that I, like you, have no idea, and I'm sick of some of the guys who dress every weekend underperform and mostly, not hustle.

Also, Euro, Motzko isn't a god, he's a hockey coach but he does know more about his own team than you or I ever will so excuse me if I don't criticize his choices of who plays and who doesn't.
      Of COURSE he knows more about his team than we do, but that means he can't possibly be wrong?
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I believe Motzko feels the same way a lot of us do about some of the players and the team. I think it may drive him crazy when he sees the inconsistency in play and effort. On the other hand, when you're trying to get in the game and the goalie keeps letting pucks go by, it does tend to take a little wind out of the sails. I think he would love to see us blow out some teams, just cream them. So far, we haven't seen that killer instinct in this team. On the other hand, the first half tough schedule wasn't the greatest for building confidence. I think we'll see a different and better team the second half.

Now you can get back to arguing amongst yourselves.

The Husky Hockey unofficial official welcoming committee is travelling to East Bethel to watch Joey Benik play hockey.
        Bob is making me concerned
        I am the voice of reason

Comment

This week freaking sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
            The Husky Hockey unofficial official welcoming committee is travelling to East Bethel to watch Joey Benik play hockey.
            How'd he look? Was it boner worthy?

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              We're not 4-14, but we've won 3 series in the season; 3 of 4 from Union at home, 3 of 4 from tUMD at home, and sweeping in Anchorage. Know what those 3 teams have in common? I believe we have more talent than them (some may argue with tUMD, but I solely believe we're a better team ON PAPER). And yet tUMD is ahead of us, because they make less mistakes, show up more consistently, and finish better than we do. And for the most part, I'm not criticizing players for not having talent, especially our forwards. Its normally effort and performance.
              Other than Tech and CC, what series could we realistically have also won?

Ugh, for the 4th time, because if you give Ryan 14 games over a year and a half, spread all those games out, and put him on lines without much supporting offensive talent, don't tell me he can't score. I'm not saying he can, I'm saying that I, like you, have no idea, and I'm sick of some of the guys who dress every weekend underperform and mostly, not hustle.
              Ryan is supposed to be a part-time player, he wasn't brought in to be a regular, hell he wasn't even brought in by Motzko, Barta did that.
              Also, you need to go back and look at his linemates, he may not have played with the likes of Lasch, Marvin, Festler or LeBlanc each game but he did get games with them and again, did not score.
              If you are a part-time player, you need to perform when you do get in there, and you need to do more than just "hustle"
              It may be just me, but I'd rather take a team of guys who look or are perceived to be lazy but put points on the board than guys who do hustle, but can't score because even though they may not look like they are working hard (and really we have no idea, guys are called floaters for a reason and that's the kind of player Mosey is) but if they put the points up, you have a chance to win.
              Let's not forget, Mosey was sat an awful lot last year because he wasn't producing and wasn't getting it done.
              Do you think if the same thing was true this year, that he isn't working, that he hasn't gotten better, that he'd be playing in every game?

Of COURSE he knows more about his team than we do, but that means he can't possibly be wrong?
              Of course he can be wrong, but I don't know if he is, I don't have information that he is.
              I don't see practice, I don't see the work they do and Motzko has said several times that for the most part, the players work will decide who plays and I think we are seeing the players who do work and who can also produce.
              Yes it's inconsistent and it's frustrating, and I for one wonder if the problem isn't with coaching, it's with leadership in lockerroom from the players.
              I wonder if we have a player who is going to take this team by the throat and get this team running.
              I think coaches can only do so much and at some point in the season, the players really have to start taking ownership of the team and I don't think that's been happening.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Other than Tech and CC, what series could we realistically have also won?
                First off, this team should be trying to win every series.

If they want to be a top team, they should have won a home series with Wisconsin, especially because I have the feeling they won't even split in the Kohl Center. Also, don't just throw out MTU and CC, you're right, those are two series that they should've won. And while I know UND's a tough place to play, if they'd shown up Friday, who knows, maybe they'd have stolen one from a .500 UND squad.

Ryan is supposed to be a part-time player,
                Then let him be a part-time player, and not a pretty-much-no-time player

It may be just me, but I'd rather take a team of guys who look or are perceived to be lazy but put points on the board than guys who do hustle, but can't score because even though they may not look like they are working hard
                Yep... its just you.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

First off, this team should be trying to win every series.

If they want to be a top team, they should have won a home series with Wisconsin, especially because I have the feeling they won't even split in the Kohl Center. Also, don't just throw out MTU and CC, you're right, those are two series that they should've won. And while I know UND's a tough place to play, if they'd shown up Friday, who knows, maybe they'd have stolen one from a .500 UND squad.
                  Where the hell did I say they shouldn't try to win every series, I said realistically should we expect them to go to UND and take more than 2, realistically should we expect them to take more than 2 at DU.
                  Wisconsin, maybe, but UW did just go into UND and take 3, and CC took 3 in Madison.
                  Basically, every team in the league has points they'd like to have back but what I'm saying is the teams we split with are good teams and realistically, a split with UW, even at home, was the likely outcome.

Yep... its just you.
                  So if we had a whole team of guys who hustled every shift but could not score, could not win, you'd be ok with that over guys who are perceived as lazy but win games?
                  Something tells me that's a load of BS.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Mosey is bringing the heat this year, he really jumped on the horse!

Comment

Where the hell did I say they shouldn't try to win every series, I said realistically should we expect them to go to UND and take more than 2, realistically should we expect them to take more than 2 at DU.
                      Wisconsin, maybe, but UW did just go into UND and take 3, and CC took 3 in Madison.
                      Basically, every team in the league has points they'd like to have back but what I'm saying is the teams we split with are good teams and realistically, a split with UW, even at home, was the likely outcome.

So if we had a whole team of guys who hustled every shift but could not score, could not win, you'd be ok with that over guys who are perceived as lazy but win games?
                      Something tells me that's a load of BS.
                      The loss to Wisconsin was a horrible effort, THAT'S why I'm upset they didn't win that series. Same with the game at UND. I'll give them the loss in DU, they played a good game and got beat by a better team on the road.

As for hustling, I think that you think that Mosey hasn't been a lazy POS for most of this year and his career, and I strongly disagree. Fair enough?

Comment

As for hustling, I think that you think that Mosey hasn't been a lazy POS for most of this year and his career, and I strongly disagree. Fair enough?
                        Wrong, I think he was lazy for his first couple years but has picked it up lately.
                        My point is even if he is lazy, he is producing so the fact that he is looked at as lazy is lessened by his numbers and I think if he was as lazy as you say, he wouldn't be playing in every game.

What I'm wondering now has nothing to do with a specific player, but it does sound like you'd rather have a team that works hard (looks good) but can't win vs a team that either is lazy, or is perceived as lazy (looks bad) but wins games.
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Wrong, I think he was lazy for his first couple years but has picked it up lately.
                          My point is even if he is lazy, he is producing so the fact that he is looked at as lazy is lessened by his numbers and I think if he was as lazy as you say, he wouldn't be playing in every game.

What I'm wondering now has nothing to do with a specific player, but it does sound like you'd rather have a team that works hard (looks good) but can't win vs a team that either is lazy, or is perceived as lazy (looks bad) but wins games.
                          The thing that bothers me more about Mosey's sudden enthusiasm for trying a little harder (?) is that it coincides with him getting to play with guys who potentially could result in him getting more scoring opportunities. So, was the lack of effort previously related to him not liking where Motzko had him playing, or has he just all of a sudden figured out this D1 thing? If it is the former...I hate to see a guy rewarded like this, but I guess as long as he scores AND hustles....

Comment

Originally posted by wchaforever View Post
                            The thing that bothers me more about Mosey's sudden enthusiasm for trying a little harder (?) is that it coincides with him getting to play with guys who potentially could result in him getting more scoring opportunities. So, was the lack of effort previously related to him not liking where Motzko had him playing, or has he just all of a sudden figured out this D1 thing? If it is the former...I hate to see a guy rewarded like this, but I guess as long as he scores AND hustles....
                            Doubtful as Mosey was with Dey and Lasch almost his entire freshman year and was with guys like LeBlanc, Roe, Novak and Festler last year.
                            Personally I think it's he's more mature and likely finally understands what it takes in terms of the work you need to put in to succeed at this level and for some players, that takes longer than others.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                              I believe Motzko feels the same way a lot of us do about some of the players and the team. I think it may drive him crazy when he sees the inconsistency in play and effort. On the other hand, when you're trying to get in the game and the goalie keeps letting pucks go by, it does tend to take a little wind out of the sails. I think he would love to see us blow out some teams, just cream them. So far, we haven't seen that killer instinct in this team. On the other hand, the first half tough schedule wasn't the greatest for building confidence. I think we'll see a different and better team the second half.

Now you can get back to arguing amongst yourselves.

Skeets: Read the report on the game last night. This kid might be the second coming of the great one I call Arneson Maximus? When I saw him at a Husky game last year he looked all of about 125 pounds. Could he ever live up to the reputation of the GREAT ONE, ARNESON MAXIMUS?
                              There is Hope . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                                How'd he look? Was it boner worthy?
                                Definitely boner worthy. Scored a hat trick. Speedy, skilled with the puck. Scored on a major league wrap-around. Not selfish, made nice passes. With a better supporting class he would score a bunch more. A few nice MILF. Several GILF. A few groupies. We got invited into the locker room for a pre-game pep talk for the boys. We got the crowd following our cheers and chants. They virtually begged us to come back for more games. Very friendly crowd. We posed for several pictures. Got fans of the game acknowledgement. Rave reviews from all.
                                Bob is making me concerned
                                I am the voice of reason

Comment

Working...
                                X