X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCSU 2009-2010 Season Thread

Originally posted by wild77 View Post
    Well, technically he wouldn't release him from his scholarships as all scholarships are one year. He would opt to not renew it, but he wouldn't do that for a couple of reasons.

1. It would hurt him his credibility with future recruits i.e, other coaches would use it against Bob

2. It is virtually impossible for Rioux, at this point of his college career, to find another team. He has 5 years to play 4 years and the clock is ticking. Teams generally are recruiting for 2011/2012 currently. He is a real victim of circumstances.

My bottom line is that this league is won by team with veteran players. Quit annointing these freshman. Play the veterans.
    A couple of points here regarding the "play the veterans" theme and what I see to be a longer term developing trend of favoring his freshman at any cost mentality. I have been railing for Motzko to use his whole bench as a motivational tool in the past, as I too, have watched veteran players fall off the face of the "Bob" earth to never be seen anywhere other than in the stands again. Without having anything other than anecdotes and suspicions to back it up, for a number of years it has seemed to me like Bob has given his incoming freshman more game opportunities than any other team in the league. At least that is how it seemed in just looking at the box scores and watching the games from the stands.

The "play the veterans" quote above caused to think that maybe there was something to what I was seeing. So I checked collegehockeystats.net and for the last 2 years, no team has had more upper classmen on the bottom of their games played list than the Huskies. Said another way, for the last 2 years , and probably a lot longer, Bob has been benching upperclassmen, in favor of the "new flavor" of incoming freshmen. This year, the 5 players mentioned a little higher up in the thread are the 5 non-goalie players with the fewest games played on the roster. So were they bad recruits? Has their development been that poor? Or is Bob's man crush with each group of incoming freshmen that big that he can't see the value in them spending some time getting used to the game first? And when you look around the roster next year, who are the guys getting pushed to the side for the next incoming group?

The WCHA is unlike any other league in the country for it's combination of speed and physical play and with the exception of the blue chipper, every other team in the league sees the benefit of blending their rookies with their veterans and using the stands as a learning tool as well as a motivation tool. I would love to be a freshmen coming to the Huskies, because I 100% know I am going to get a lot of playing time, without having to prove that I have earned it. I am absolutley convinced that this is directly related to the inconsistency shown by Motzko's teams the past 3 years, and the mediocrity we have come to expect as the norm.
    Last edited by wchaforever; 12-13-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      I really don't get you guys when it comes to our defense and who should play and who shouldn't. All last year it was play Gaudet, play Gaudet, play Gaudet, now he's playing and doing exactly what he would have done last year and now you want Rioux.
      You are horrible because you just state things and expect nobody to call you out on them, but Iam calling for Rioux and Ihave NEVER said "Play Gaudet."

I wouldn't say they aren't any good at 5 on 5 but yes they are built for special teams play,
      Then we're done, because our PP sucks.

Considering the guys on the bench are Ryan, Pecks, Rioux, Ammerman and Barta, yeah you are giving up a lot depending on who you sit.
      Hell just from that list, sitting Mosey and Hanowski sits our 2nd and 3rd (tied) leading goal scorers right now.
      And if you truly think you could replace Lauridsen with anyone and give up nothing, you haven't been watching.
      You really are one of those people who just follows points, aren't you? Just because Mosey has points, does not mean he's played well. He's getting the benefit of playing with really good linemates and a ton of PP time. After everyone else on the ice on the SCSU PP, I'd sure as hell forget about Mosey too and probably give up a few goals to him. But I'd take Ryan or even Peckskamp now and then over Mosey; I bet they'd bust their butt if they got in so they could prove themselves, and maybe sitting Tony would send a message. Can't be any worse than staying the course.

Originally posted by motox View Post
      Did you see the game last night?!
      She doesn't see most of the games, and even if she does, she is too busy thinking up excuses for the guys. Don't expect her to ever say anything negative about an SCSU player or coach.
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

My big issue with it is St. Cloud is a small town with one newspaper, if he feels slighted now, what about if something happens when or if he gets to LA?
        Actually, St. Cloud's one newspaper trumps the zero newspapers that have full-time beat writers for the Kings. The Kings actually had to hire their own beat writer to write about the team this year.

The overall idea is correct though. If he's going to be a borderline guy in the pros, why give himself another red flag?
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by motox View Post
          Did you see the game last night?! Gaudet had the puck passed to him at the point AT LEAST 3 times and couldn't hold it in the zone. One of those was as a PP was winding down and gave them no chance to do anything at the end of it. He played pretty well at the beginning of the season but since then has been making some mistakes on a regular basis. IMO, Rioux is a better puck handler and provides a much more physical presence. Why would they not at least switch off every once in awhile? There has been plenty of speculation about Rioux not playing other than the thought that "the other guys are just better."

How could Motzko possibly not be concerned with the play of his goalies, or should I say goalie? Fact remains Dunn has played much better than Lee at the midpoint of the season.
          As I said though, right now you can't say Rioux would be better, he hasn't played and you sure aren't out watching practice.
          Saturday's game basically everybody sucked, so using that against Gaudet is not fair IMO.
          As I said, he is what he is, it's what he was going to be had he played more last year and it is what he is now.
          Also, no one is arguing Dunn has played better, but it isn't as though Motzko has been riding Lee and benching Dunn, Dunn was hurt the past two weeks.
          Yes he potentially could have gone on Saturday, but why risk it if he's not 100%, especially with a leg/knee injury.
          Fact also remains, Dunn has been able to do this for 6 games so far this year and two of them he was not stellar, his two losses.
          My guess is Motzko hasn't seen enough to hand him the job yet and I think this team needs to step up as a group and make it not matter who's in goal.
          They are both capable goalies, and I don't think goalie play has been the crux of our losses.

Oh and Euro, I'm not just following points and I did see Saturday's game.
          But considering one of our problems right now is consistent scoring, yeah it makes a whole lot of sense to sit a guy with 7 goals just this year for one of two guys with a combined 4 goals for their career.
          Busting your butt doesn't mean squat if you don't produce and like it or not, however he's getting them, Mosey is producing.
          Would I like it if Mosey worked harder or least looked like he was working harder, of course I would and for the most part he has done so this year, but production does matter and when Mosey has more goals in his career than those two have points (and the number of games is close 82 to 74) I'll take Mosey, even if he is considered a bit lazy by the likes of you.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Recruit Update

Forwards
            Milan: 33 points (19G 14A) 9PIM in 32 games for Penticton (BCHL)
            Dowd: 16 points (5G 11A) 22PIM +3 in 19 games for Indiana (USHL)
            Oliver: 3 points (0G 3A) 42PIM +3 in 20 games for Fargo (USHL)
            Ravndalen: 6 points (4G, 2A) 30PIM -6 in 21 games for Waterloo (USHL)
            Benik: 15 points (11G 4A) 2PIM in 9 games for Minnesota (MNJHL)
            Holka: 30 points (16G 14A) 45PIM in 35 games for Penticton (BCHL)

Defense
            Jensen: 7 points (0G, 7A) 4PIM +6 in 18 games for Green Bay (USHL)
            Gravel: 1 point (1G 0A) 2PIM +1 in 17 games for Sioux City (USHL)
            Daly: 18 points (6G 12A) 51PIM in 35 games for Langley (BCHL)
            Burrell: 17 points (1G 16A) 19PIM +6 in 30 games for Wenatchee (NAHL)

HS
            Benik: 17 points (11G 6A) 4PIM +13 in 6 games for St. Francis
            Hendrickson: 16 points (9G 7A) 8PIM +7 in 7 games for Virginia
            Hendrickson: 24 points (9G 15A) in 24 games for Team North (Elite League)
            Prochno: 15 points (4G 11A) 2PIM +4 in 4 games for Minnetonka
            Prochno: 12 points (3G 9A) 12PIM in 25 games for Team Southwest (Elite League)
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

But considering one of our problems right now is consistent scoring, yeah it makes a whole lot of sense to sit a guy with 7 goals just this year for one of two guys with a combined 4 goals for their career.
              Busting your butt doesn't mean squat if you don't produce and like it or not, however he's getting them, Mosey is producing.
              Would I like it if Mosey worked harder or least looked like he was working harder, of course I would and for the most part he has done so this year, but production does matter and when Mosey has more goals in his career than those two have points (and the number of games is close 82 to 74) I'll take Mosey, even if he is considered a bit lazy by the likes of you.
              Don't fool yourself FTLT, Mosey has 1 goal that is not a PP goal this year. Are you going to sit here and tell me that no one else on this team could do the same if they were put out there with the same set-up people? That is 1 even strength goal in 16 games! Yeah real production out of that guy! We don't dare take him out of the lineup. Not to mention, that along with those 6 PP goals, he has 1 PP assist. I know, I know, you're going to tell me that that isn't his roll in Motzko's PP. Hano? 2 even goals in 18 games. Know there is a guy who really couldn't benefit from watching a game bacause he MAY just break out one of these times. Jordy? 2 even goals in 18 games, but man, did he ever learn the game by playing 37 games as a freshman. Bob is not doing these guys development any favors by trying to convince himself that he must be the best recruiter n the world because he can bring in 6-8 freshman a year that can play 30+ games. For the bulk of these guys, they would benefit way more from a 24 game season, or roughly 3/4 played, and watch and learn from the stands in 1/4. Festler played the fewest games of any of last years freshmen at 27. Did that further him?
              Last edited by wchaforever; 12-14-2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wchaforever View Post
                Don't fool yourself FTLT, Mosey has 1 goal that is not a PP goal this year. Are you going to sit here and tell me that no one else on this team could do the same if they were put out there with the same set-up people? That is 1 even strength goal in 16 games! Yeah real production out of that guy! We don't dare take him out of the lineup. Not to mention, that along with those 6 PP goals, he has 1 PP assist. I know, I know, you're going to tell me that that isn't his roll in Motzko's PP. Hano? 2 even goals in 18 games. Know there is a guy who really couldn't benefit from watching a game bacause he MAY just break out one of these times. Jordy? 2 even goals in 18 games, but man, did he ever learn the game by playing 37 games as a freshman. Bob is not doing these guys development any favors by trying to convince himself that he must be the best recruiter n the world because he can bring in 6-8 freshman a year that can play 30+ games. For the bulk of these guys, they would benefit way more from a 24 game season, or roughly 3/4 played, and watch and learn from the stands in 1/4. Festler played the fewest games of any of last years freshmen at 27. Did that further him?
                Why are you so hung up on even strength goals?
                Do even strength goals count for more than PP or SH goals do?
                Yeah, most of Mosey's goals come on the PP, who gives a ****, it's a goal.
                You do realize that Christian is also one of our best PK forwards right, that he does more than score, but he should be sat because he isn't scoring more 5 on 5?
                How much do you really think they are going to learn from watching and not playing?
                When the only 2 forwards not playing are Ryan and Peckskamp (who also don't produce) who is going to pick up this production 5 on 5 that you so desperately crave for?
                Also, Festler's games were lower because he was hurt, not because he wasn't producing.

Fact is, the guys Motzko has brought in recently are more skilled than the guys who aren't playing, if you honestly can't see that, then I really don't know what to tell you anymore.
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Saturday's game basically everybody sucked, so using that against Gaudet is not fair IMO.
                  So you're saying when the whole team doesn't play well that's a good reason not to hold individuals accountable for their play? That's the entire reason why the team didn't play well, because of poor individual effort. In no way should anyone on this team be given a free pass for poor play. I hate that I keep harping on Gaudet because typically I like the way he plays, but Sat night was a horrible game for him and if he can't hold the blue line then he needs to sit. I didn't say Rioux was better, but how will we ever know if he is never on the ice??

They are both capable goalies, and I don't think goalie play has been the crux of our losses.
                  Sure, they're both capable but which one is performing come game time? Aren't you the one harping on using numbers and stats? I would think for a goalie wins and losses is a pretty big one. I would attribute goalie play to our ties against Union, UMD, and CC. Those all should have been wins. I don't know if there were any soft goals in our loss at Tech but those two pts would've been big as well. I like Lee, I think he has talent and will be very good. He just isn't playing that way right now and if you were watching the game on Saturday he is fighting the puck way more than he should be. You also say the rest of the team shouldn't focus on who is in net. Well, the guy in net shouldn't worry about how the team is playing in front of him. Step up and steal a freakin game or make some big saves so the rest of the guys feed off that. It goes both ways.

Comment

Why are you so hung up on even strength goals?
                    Do even strength goals count for more than PP or SH goals do?
                    Yeah, most of Mosey's goals come on the PP, who gives a ****, it's a goal.
                    You do realize that Christian is also one of our best PK forwards right, that he does more than score, but he should be sat because he isn't scoring more 5 on 5?
                    How much do you really think they are going to learn from watching and not playing?
                    When the only 2 forwards not playing are Ryan and Peckskamp (who also don't produce) who is going to pick up this production 5 on 5 that you so desperately crave for?
                    Also, Festler's games were lower because he was hurt, not because he wasn't producing.

Fact is, the guys Motzko has brought in recently are more skilled than the guys who aren't playing, if you honestly can't see that, then I really don't know what to tell you anymore.
                    You're probably right. I shouldn't be so concerned about the source of our mediocrity. There are 2 or 3 teams below us in the standings that would love to have that kind of mediocrity year in and year out. Of course, they would also love to have the kind of talent that Motzko brings in every year and be able to see them show so little development from their freshmen season on, that they can be counted on to cheerfully lead the parent section in cheers night after average night. But then again, when you are 9th and 10th in the standings, 6th and 7th (or 8th and 9th when UNO and BSU roll in next year)probably looks like reaching the "golden arena" so why wouldn't they envy us?

The guys he has brought in are more skilled? Who knows? Probably, but it's not always the guys with "more skill" that make your TEAM a complete TEAM...from player 1 to player 25.

How much do you really think they are going to learn from watching and not playing? This is one of the stupidest, non-athlete statements I have ever heard. I am usually not one to criticise a comment from someone who hasn't played, because I don't believe that participation always makes one a better observer, but in this case, you are flat out, dead wrong. If you think that being on the ice is the ONLY thing that is going to benefit these guys.... we don't have any more to discuss.

Comment

You're probably right. I shouldn't be so concerned about the source of our mediocrity. The guys he has brought in are more skilled? Who knows? Probably, but it's not always the guys with "more skill" that make your TEAM a complete TEAM...from player 1 to player 25.
                      I understand the point you are making. I doubt you believe we'll have any incremental improvement in the results by inserting Ammerman, Peckskamp, Ryan and Rioux into the lineup for whomever. But, we'll be a better TEAM if it was happening. I happen to agree with that. I'm a big fan of Mitch Ryan (physical, creates opportunity, can score) and like Peckskamp (high energy) etc etc. No doubt they are interchangeable with some that are playing so why not play them.

I also get the impression you're just not a fan of Motzko. The same comments are made by fans of nearly every team in college hockey. All teams have players that sit. That's why Lofquist left the Gophers as an example.

But, to cut to the point, there really is no need not to insert these guys into the lineup. There isn't enough seperation between them and others not to do so and it may help create a happier environment for all.
                      "Zero Manipulation"

Comment

As I said though, right now you can't say Rioux would be better, he hasn't played and you sure aren't out watching practice.
                        As I said, he is what he is, it's what he was going to be had he played more last year and it is what he is now.
                        Also, no one is arguing Dunn has played better, but it isn't as though Motzko has been riding Lee and benching Dunn, Dunn was hurt the past two weeks.
                        Yes he potentially could have gone on Saturday, but why risk it if he's not 100%, especially with a leg/knee injury.
                        Fact also remains, Dunn has been able to do this for 6 games so far this year and two of them he was not stellar, his two losses.
                        My guess is Motzko hasn't seen enough to hand him the job yet and I think this team needs to step up as a group and make it not matter who's in goal.

I am not going to fight with people over Rioux because I don't think he is that good, but keep this in mind. Motzko claimed Gaudet didn't look good enough in practice to play last year and I think we will all agree he should have played more last year. It is silly not to give Rioux a chance. The bottom two guys this year(Hepp & Gaudet) are not great and why not give someone else a game or two to see what they can do? Practice is not a good indicator of what a player will do in a game.
                        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

You're probably right. I shouldn't be so concerned about the source of our mediocrity. There are 2 or 3 teams below us in the standings that would love to have that kind of mediocrity year in and year out. Of course, they would also love to have the kind of talent that Motzko brings in every year and be able to see them show so little development from their freshmen season on, that they can be counted on to cheerfully lead the parent section in cheers night after average night. But then again, when you are 9th and 10th in the standings, 6th and 7th (or 8th and 9th when UNO and BSU roll in next year)probably looks like reaching the "golden arena" so why wouldn't they envy us?

The guys he has brought in are more skilled? Who knows? Probably, but it's not always the guys with "more skill" that make your TEAM a complete TEAM...from player 1 to player 25.

How much do you really think they are going to learn from watching and not playing? This is one of the stupidest, non-athlete statements I have ever heard. I am usually not one to criticise a comment from someone who hasn't played, because I don't believe that participation always makes one a better observer, but in this case, you are flat out, dead wrong. If you think that being on the ice is the ONLY thing that is going to benefit these guys.... we don't have any more to discuss.
                          This team has been a .500 club over the last year and half because they don't do the little things. Iam sorry but it's just not the mosey's of the team tha tneed to do more. The so called leaders like Lasch, Roe and Marvin could do a lot more as well. Until this team figures that out they are going to be nothing but a middle of the row team.
                          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

First off, again, all you focus on is goals, what a surprise. Secondly, Mitch Ryan has scored 2 goals in 14 games as a Husky, or one in every 7 games. The games he played he was playing 3rd or 4th line. Tony Mosey's scored 16 goals in 82 games (and he's missed more good opportunities than he's made), or one out of every 5 games. And that's after spending a ton of time on the PP this year, and being paired with much better linemates, especially this year. Do you remember the goal he scored to tie the game at 2 against the Gophers at the X his freshman year? Ryan Lasch did EVERYTHING to score that goal but be the last one to tap it in. I'd say their goal scoring ability isn't that vastly different... and maybe I'm wrong, but we've only seen Mitch Ryan 14 times, so I would be happier if we got a look at him. If it turns out he Nate Deys his shots, then fine, sit him again, but can it hurt to through him a bone every couple weekends? Especially because you say that their biggest problem right now is goal scoring. Its not. Its hustling. I've seen Mitch Ryan hustle more in 14 games than I've seen Tony Mosey in 80.

I am just going to preemptively say (because you have implied incorrectly that I called for Gaudet last year) that I have never said anything about giving Jordy Christian less time. Want that stated now, in case you try to bring that up down the road.

Originally posted by Montelena View Post
                            But, to cut to the point, there really is no need not to insert these guys into the lineup. There isn't enough seperation between them and others not to do so and it may help create a happier environment for all.
                            If you wanna stay as a .500 team, split every weekend, end up a 5 or 6 seed, maybe get to the X and be a Thursday night casualty, and miss the NCAAs, then yes, no need to change things up. If you expect more, like tb, motox and I do, then what's it hurt to try some new things up, especially with Brown and MTU at home next?

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                            This team has been a .500 club over the last year and half because they don't do the little things. Iam sorry but it's just not the mosey's of the team tha tneed to do more. The so called leaders like Lasch, Roe and Marvin could do a lot more as well. Until this team figures that out they are going to be nothing but a middle of the row team.
                            Agree with all of that but Marvin. Marvin's had a couple bad games this year, for sure, but his offensive production is down I believe because he's snakebitten. Every time he shoots, he's thinking about how he hasn't scored a lot, at least IMO. He just seems to be holding the stick tight, but that'll come around. The other aspects of the game for him, forechecking, passing, hits, make up for that while he's on a slump, and I think right now he's the best penalty killer we have.
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              If you wanna stay as a .500 team, split every weekend, end up a 5 or 6 seed, maybe get to the X and be a Thursday night casualty, and miss the NCAAs, then yes, no need to change things up. If you expect more, like tb, motox and I do, then what's it hurt to try some new things up, especially with Brown and MTU at home next?
                              Didn't I say I'm all for mixing it up? I'd like to see every player with ice time. However, if you're suddenly looking for hockey panacea please explain how making these substitutions is sudenly going to make that much of a difference.

With the #1 SOS in college hockey I'm not all that disappointed with the exception of the Tech game at Houghton and Sat night vs CC. What team in this league has not had several disappointing games this season?

They have (on paper) a much easier schedule the second half. Lets see how they respond. Aren't they 4 points out of first? You're looking for results that may not be possible this season with some of the deficiencies on this team.
                              "Zero Manipulation"

Comment

Originally posted by Montelena View Post
                                I understand the point you are making. I doubt you believe we'll have any incremental improvement in the results by inserting Ammerman, Peckskamp, Ryan and Rioux into the lineup for whomever. But, we'll be a better TEAM if it was happening. I happen to agree with that. I'm a big fan of Mitch Ryan (physical, creates opportunity, can score) and like Peckskamp (high energy) etc etc. No doubt they are interchangeable with some that are playing so why not play them.

I also get the impression you're just not a fan of Motzko. The same comments are made by fans of nearly every team in college hockey. All teams have players that sit. That's why Lofquist left the Gophers as an example.

A voice of reason!!! And here I thought my disappointment with the status quo was transparent.

Comment

Working...
                                X