Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Anchorage @ Minnesota 10/30/09-11/1/09

Originally posted by Jockstock View Post
    Inner Vedder!!!! If you put your hand on your screen right now, I will channel a video of a peeping tom booing Dirty while he changes his diaper.
    On new hot nine, old release the SCUD missile
    Sh****n the toilet tissue, defecation is the issue
    - Kool Keith
    'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
      On new hot nine, old release the SCUD missile
      Sh****n the toilet tissue, defecation is the issue
      - Kool Keith
      The farm send UND the turtles
      Dirty give you doodoo, kidnap with voodoo
      Hold your diarrhea blast, come straight forth

Comment

Originally posted by Jockstock View Post
        The farm send UND the turtles
        Dirty give you doodoo, kidnap with voodoo
        Hold your diarrhea blast, come straight forth
        Wow, I'm impressed.
        'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Gophers sweep.

2-1 Friday
          5-2 Sunday

And tDon will extend his hands towards the heavens, and proclaim the Gophers are back, and there will be much rejoicing.
          Last edited by The Rube; 10-30-2009, 08:48 AM.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Gophers sweep.

2-1 Friday
            5-2 Saturday

And tDon will extend his hands towards the heavens, and proclaim the Gophers are back, and there will be much rejoicing.
            Maybe they can make it a 6pt weekend and win on sunday as well.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
              Maybe they can make it a 6pt weekend and win on sunday as well.
              Talk about a typo. Ugh. I need to wake up.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                I bet they do.
                This sounds very optimistic for you, Scooby. Take it easy or you might strain something.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                  Whoever wins the first game has a good chance at sweeping. The losing team better hope for a split.
                  I would have to admit that the team that wins the first game has a considerably better chance of sweeping than the one that lost. And for the losing team to keep hoping for a sweep, is probably a little futile.

In fact I will go one step further and predict the team that scores the most goals in each game will win (or they will score the same number of goals and tie).

As well as AA is playing, I would still expect to see MN come in viewing this as a must sweep weekend and the talent will hopefully surface (especially if they can start to figure out a PP that can at least score 10% of the time). No team can play at their highest level all year, so teams with less talent often benefit because a team with more talent won't play at their highest level against them. AA has benefited from this in the past. (I realize there are those times when a goalie gets hot at the same time everyone else is clicking or bounces go one way and the less talented team wins despite the more talented team giving their all, but I am talking percentages here.) This should not be the case this weekend. Wins are too important for MN this weekend. MN has shown up for three of their four games and has managed to control play for stretches of those games. They could (should) have beaten UND on Sat. and they had decent scoring chances most of weekend against Denver. Denver played very good defense in their zone (And MN was shooting for 6 inches outside the pipes). As I've said elsewhere, they are the best 0-3-1 team that has been shutout 3 times that I have ever seen! While they might not have the sniper who can score at will, all the players have shown the ability to score in the past. With all this in mind, I would think that this weekend the team will wake up and should get a sweep.

If AA wins Friday, I'll probably watch the Vikes on Sunday, though.

Comment

Game Notes

Minnesota (0-3-1, 0-3-1) vs. Alaska Anchorage (3-3, 1-1)
                    Date: Friday & Sunday, Oct. 30 & Nov. 1
                    Time: 7 p.m. (Fri.) / 4 p.m. (Sun.)
                    Series History: Minnesota leads 46-15-7
                    Radio: KYCR 1570 AM (Fri.) / WCCO 830 AM (Sun.) - Wally Shaver and Glen Sonmor
                    Television: Fox Sports North (tape on Fri.) - Frank Mazzocco and Doug Woog

A stretch of season-opening conference games continues for the Gophers, who aim for their first win of the season against Alaska Anchorage in a two-game series at Mariucci Arena. Having played four straight games against teams in the top five of the national rankings, Minnesota is winless through four games for the first time since 1999-2000.

Last Time Out
                    Minnesota was shutout two straight nights and three times in the first four games in a pair of 3-0 losses to Denver last weekend at Mariucci Arena. The Gophers put 30 shots on goal in each game, but Denver goalie Marc Cheverie stopped them all and has shut out Minnesota three straight times, dating to last season. Alex Kangas made 31 saves in Friday's loss and Kent Patterson stopped 23 shots in Saturday's setback.

Series History
                    Minnesota holds a 46-15-7 lead in the all-time series, which dates to 1986. The Gophers are 13-2-2 in the last 17 meetings between the teams. The Gophers took a win and a tie in the only two meetings last year. The squads tied 2-2 the opening night before the Gophers bounced back for a 4-2 win the following night. Alaska Anchorage has won or tied at Mariucci Arena each of the past three years, having also won a game in a 2007 WCHA first round playoff series.

About the Seawolves
                    Alaska Anchorage handed North Dakota its first loss of the season in its most recent outing with a 2-1 win on Saturday. Bryce Christianson made 22 saves and the Seawolves got goals from Kevin Clark and Kane Lafranchise in the victory. North Dakota took a 5-0 victory the preceding night, holding the Seawolves to 16 shots on goal. Alaska Anchorage also has wins over Mercyhurst and Rensselaer and losses to Michigan and Robert Morris. Clark and Tommy Grant each lead the team in scoring with six points as Clark has four goals and two assists, while Grant has two goals and four assists. Senior Jon Olthuis has played four games in goal and owns a 3.28 goals against average and .879 save percentage, while Christianson, a junior, has a 3.50 goals against average and .850 save percentage. Olthuis is one of seven seniors in the Seawolves' lineup. This weekend will be Alaska Anchorage's first of seven trips outside Alaska this season. The Seawolves finished 14-17-5 overall and 9-14-5 in the WCHA last season as Minnesota was the only WCHA team they didn't beat.

Tough Tasks
                    The Gophers played their first four games of the season against opponents ranked in the top five of the national rankings. North Dakota was ranked fourth and Denver was fifth in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll. The Gophers played only two games against a top five team last year as New Hampshire was ranked fifth when they played. The last time Minnesota played top five teams in back-to-back weeks was Dec. 2-3 and 9-10, 2005 when they were swept by top-ranked Wisconsin, but bounced back to sweep fourth-ranked North Dakota.

Into the Fire
                    The Gophers are in the midst of a streak of eight straight league games to open the regular season, including series with each of the three teams picked ahead of them in the WCHA preseason poll. North Dakota was picked second in the WCHA and Denver is the league favorite, while next week's foe, Wisconsin, is picked third. It is the second straight year Minnesota has opened with WCHA competition after sweeping St. Cloud State to open last year en route to a 4-0-2 start in six season-opening conference games.

Milestone Marker
                    Senior Jay Barriball needs one point to become the 78th player in Minnesota history to record 100 points for his career. Barriball picked up his 99th point with an unassisted goal in the tie at North Dakota. He would become the first Gopher player to reach the 100-point mark since four players accomplished the milestone in 2005-06. Danny Irmen was the most recent, netting his 100th point against Minnesota Duluth on March 3, 2006. Chris Harrington, Ryan Potulny and Gino Guyer also scored their 100th points that season.

Quality Starts
                    Sophomore  Kent Patterson made his third career start last weekend against Denver and continues to face strong competition in each of his appearances. In the nine games he's played, Patterson has faced some of college hockey's top teams. Patterson has faced North Dakota three times, Minnesota Duluth twice, Michigan, Denver, Minnesota State and Michigan Tech.

Saving the Day
                    Junior Alex Kangas owns a .921 save percentage to rank 23rd nationally through his first two starts after posting a .901 save percentage for the 2008-09 season. The Gophers have failed to score in each of his first two starts. His 39 saves against North Dakota marked the third-highest total of his career and most in a regulation game. Kangas made 44 saves in each of Minnesota's double overtime games against Minnesota State in the 2008 WCHA playoffs.

About Face
                    Minnesota showed significant improvement on faceoffs last weekend after struggling at North Dakota. The Gophers were 62-51 on faceoffs last week against Denver after going 63-76 against North Dakota. Minnesota has improved on faceoffs every game and went 40-25 in Saturday's game with Denver. Taylor Matson led the turnaround, winning 11 of his 15 draws last weekend after winning just 7 of 18 the previous week.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

The powerful (power play less) Gophers best not overlook the Seawolves.

Split.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                        Ooo, there's some insightful commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          Just wondering what the atmosphere was like last weekend for the Gophers. I watched it on TV and the crowd seemed pretty dead. Lucia commented that it's hard to get the support of the crowd when you don't score. Just curious if the 9800 fans there were all sitting on their hands?

The Sully is dead when UAA has a bad game, but I assumed that large attendances like UM would still be rowdy, am I wrong?
                          The Sully is ALWAYS dead. I've lived in both places and Alaska hockey fans are a joke. The marriucci might not be what it has been with the slow start, but I've never seen the Sullivan arena "raucous" ever! And that goes for Aces playoff games too. I suppose the Sully seems rowdy to ignorant people born and raised in Alaska that just don't know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Doesn't really matter how good the goaltending is when you miss the net.
                            One thing I've always thought that coaches should say to their players is this:

"You can't shoot it low"

Seems to me like all of these players try and pick the corners all the time and, as a result, miss the net a ton. It seems like low shots on net with rebound opportunities would result in more goals than rushes with one shot that is high and wide and the puck careens right out of the zone.
                            Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice

National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

My Gopher Hockey Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com

Comment

UAA is the biggest team in the WCHA and focuses on defense more than anything else. UMN has smaller forwards and an utter lack of desire to play a physical game of any kind. This is a tough matchup for the Gophers and although I think UMN should sweep, a sweep the other way wouldn't surprise me with what the Gophers have shown thus far. I think UMN wins Friday and then has another letdown on Sun.

Yes, yes, yes... talent wise the Gophers are loaded, but they have a serious lack of motivation... and the lack of grit and heart has become a 3 year trend. I'm really starting to believe Lucia is the issue. I've heard rumors of players not liking and losing respect for him. Ya, it's all hearsay, but something with this team is amiss. There is no inspiration.
                              Panzer for Hobey.

"With one team playing at home, the audience was understandably dominated by maroon and gold sweaters. One notable exception was the fan who showed up wearing a replica of Alaska Anchorage’s bright gold third sweaters."
                              INCH, March 27, 2005

Seawolf Jersey Guy is my alter ego.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post

Split.
                                After the first four games I don't believe the Gophers will over look anybody.

*Shakes Head*
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X