Call me impatient, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call me impatient, but...

Two days of official hockey in the books, and still USCHO's D-III page remain as it was in mid-march. I know D-I is the site's bread and butter, but this is just ridiculous!

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, I seem to remember a "Preseason Poll" released last year, before the first official games. In fact, the D-III page had a story about that preseason poll keeping to the tradition of naming the defending champions (SNC at the time) #1 to start the season. Where is this poll? Where is the story? What the heck is going on???

Again, maybe I'm just being impatient. I'm just glad the wait for hockey season is finally over!
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Re: Call me impatient, but...

[QUOTE=CARDS_rule_the_Burgh;4425359]Two days of official hockey in the books, and still USCHO's D-III page remain as it was in mid-march. I know D-I is the site's bread and butter, but this is just ridiculous!

Hi there, impatient, I'm obnoxious.....pleased to meetcha!
    Real Life is drawing without an eraser.

Comment

Then by all means volunteer your time and writing talents to USCHO. I am sure they would LOVE to have someone who has no job and no family obligations to change the page at their leisure.
      "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Comment

Well, I suppose people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with similar "volunteers" keeping the D-I pages current.

A number of years ago, I seem to recall that the email list "Hockey 3" withered on the vine for similar reasons.

Some consider me both impatient and obnoxious, so there !!

Comment

Originally posted by wallhd View Post
          Well, I suppose people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with similar "volunteers" keeping the D-I pages current.

A number of years ago, I seem to recall that the email list "Hockey 3" withered on the vine for similar reasons.

Some consider me both impatient and obnoxious, so there !!
          Curlers do!

I feel your pain. Consider this - USCHO sends a busload to the D-1 FF, and a Mini Cooper to the D-3 FF. We know where their feelings lie - heck, I wonder if anyone on the management board has a current D-III affiliation?

Yet in their defense, D-III is just warming up - most of the CCCP region teams haven't held a legal practice yet (MASCAC Monday - Interlock 11/1, NE ???), so maybe we get something this week. Webb, Carey, and Jaslow are first rate reporters that cover a second tier sport. Their content is top notch, but their support is bottom dweller.

There are some interesting stories out there that deserve first month coverage:
          • Neumann?? Can they repeat???
          • MASCAC -- Will they be spectators or participants in the tournament?
          • The ECAC-NE / NE10 amicable divorce
          • MCHA - Now that they have the AQ, will they garner any respect???
          • Transfers - some biggies occurred. Why do they transfer and what impact will they have at new school and at the old school?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Yet in their defense, D-III is just warming up - most of the CCCP region teams haven't held a legal practice yet (MASCAC Monday - Interlock 11/1, NE ???), so maybe we get something this week.
            ECAC-NE November 4th, MASCAC November 11th. There has at least been a timetable for every conference discussed, though how close the timetable reflects reality is up for debate.

Webb, Carey, and Jaslow are first rate reporters that cover a second tier sport. Their content is top notch, but their support is bottom dweller.
            And it boggles the mind to this day that I've done anything worthy of such recognition, but I appreciate the kind words.

There are some interesting stories out there that deserve first month coverage:

Neumann?? Can they repeat???
            Probably not.

MASCAC -- Will they be spectators or participants in the tournament?
            Spectators. Though it's possible the league champion will be more "deserving" than at least one team actually in the tournament.

The ECAC-NE / NE10 amicable divorce
            ****, you're going to want me to cover this, aren't you?

MCHA - Now that they have the AQ, will they garner any respect???
            No. Until Adrian gets sent to western New York for the quarterfinals and kicks the snot out of some SUNYAC or ECAC-West team.

Transfers - some biggies occurred. Why do they transfer and what impact will they have at new school and at the old school?
            Or why do they leave school to try their hand at going pro?

I think this is going to be an interesting year. A lot of the teams that have risen from the ranks of mediocrity in recent years seem poised to take a step back (Neumann, Scholastica, Hobart, I'm looking at you), while some perennial powers (Norbert, Midd, Norwich) seem like they're going to be coming back up the ranks. Will some new contenders (Hamline, Castleton, Geneseo) emerge to fill the void though? Is this analysis completely wrong? Only time will tell.

All that being said, indications are the preseason poll will go up this week (a week later than I said before - I can only go with the information I'm given), and my #1 team is not Adrian this year. It is an ECAC-West team, but not the one you think. New year, Carey's still crazy, let's drop some pucks!
            2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
            2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
            2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
            Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

[/I]
              Originally posted by Josh Carey View Post
              . It is an ECAC-West team, but not the one you think. New year, Carey's still crazy, let's drop some pucks!
              Manhattanville or Neumann. I've always been a firm believer in the defending champion should be #1 until proven otherwise and beaten.

Also, If Adrian kicks the snot of some western NY SUNY or ECAC West team. not when.

I'm eagerly anticipating watching the Bulldogs vs Oswego on Jan 8th to get my first look at Fogarty's group.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                [/I]

Manhattanville or Neumann. I've always been a firm believer in the defending champion should be #1 until proven otherwise and beaten.

Also, If Adrian kicks the snot of some western NY SUNY or ECAC West team. not when.

I'm eagerly anticipating watching the Bulldogs vs Oswego on Jan 8th to get my first look at Fogarty's group.
                Boise State is playing Oswego Jan 8th?
                Last edited by OZFEST; 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Adrian has beaten an ECAC-West or SUNYAC team by at least 8 goals in every season they've existed. Now yes, they usually go losing to that same team, too (beating up on cupcakes all the time likely doesn't do anything for your consistency), and yes "every season they've existed" in only two years, but history suggests it is "when" and not "if".

And I disagree that the previous champion has to be the #1 team to start the next year. The question you're asking in the preseason poll is: "Who do you think is the best team right now?" Well the team that won the championship in March has changed by October, and you should try to take that into account as much as possible. I'm by no means saying you can't have that team still number one, you just should have a reasonable expectation that they're as good now as they were in March before automatically placing them up there. Analysis should have some logical basis, not just be done "because this is how it should be."

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                    Boise State is playing Oswego Jan 8th?
                    Boise State Broncos?
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

I think this is going to be an interesting year. A lot of the teams that have risen from the ranks of mediocrity in recent years seem poised to take a step back (Neumann, Scholastica, Hobart, I'm looking at you), while some perennial powers (Norbert, Midd, Norwich) seem like they're going to be coming back up the ranks. Will some new contenders (Hamline, Castleton, Geneseo) emerge to fill the void though? Is this analysis completely wrong? Only time will tell.

All that being said, indications are the preseason poll will go up this week (a week later than I said before - I can only go with the information I'm given), and my #1 team is not Adrian this year. It is an ECAC-West team, but not the one you think. New year, Carey's still crazy, let's drop some pucks!
                      Didn't Neumann just sweep Geneseo this weekend?

Seriously tho, let's drop some (more) pucks. Looking forward to the poll should it arrive this week.
                      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Adrian has beaten an ECAC-West or SUNYAC team by at least 8 goals in every season they've existed. Now yes, they usually go losing to that same team, too (beating up on cupcakes all the time likely doesn't do anything for your consistency), and yes "every season they've existed" in only two years, but history suggests it is "when" and not "if".

And I disagree that the previous champion has to be the #1 team to start the next year. The question you're asking in the preseason poll is: "Who do you think is the best team right now?" Well the team that won the championship in March has changed by October, and you should try to take that into account as much as possible. I'm by no means saying you can't have that team still number one, you just should have a reasonable expectation that they're as good now as they were in March before automatically placing them up there. Analysis should have some logical basis, not just be done "because this is how it should be."
                        Potsdam is not Manhattanville, Elmira, Hobart, Oswego, and Plattsburgh which more than likely would be the five teams Adrian would be playing in the situation you described.

I didnt say they had to be. That's the way I would vote. That's the way I have always voted in the D-III women's poll and the pre-season posters poll that used to happen here on the forum for the men.

But according to you, I know nothing about D-III hockey even though I was following it before you even knew what a puck was or had your first Magic card pack.

So who is your #1 team? Manhattanville or Neumann? Was I right in guessing that's who you put at #1?
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Potsdam is not Manhattanville, Elmira, Hobart, Oswego, and Plattsburgh which more than likely would be the five teams Adrian would be playing in the situation you described.
                          Except that, off the top of my head, Plattsburgh and Manhattanville (and maybe Elmira) are too far from Adrian to travel per NCAA guidelines. And last year the team they blew out was Neumann. The eventual national champions and automatic preseason #1 for you.

I didnt say they had to be. That's the way I would vote. That's the way I have always voted in the D-III women's poll and the pre-season posters poll that used to happen here on the forum for the men.

But according to you, I know nothing about D-III hockey even though I was following it before you even knew what a puck was or had your first Magic card pack.
                          I merely disagreed with the notion of blindly making the national champion the new number one. I'm not sure how you got me saying you know nothing about D-III hockey out of that, and have no idea at all how that relates to Magic in even the slightest form, but okay then.

So who is your #1 team? Manhattanville or Neumann? Was I right in guessing that's who you put at #1?
                          All I will say is that I am amused by your notion that Elmira is the team from the ECAC-West that would be "expected" to be number one. I'll post the full ballot sometime tomorrow or Tuesday after the full poll is released. I don't intend to release a ballot weekly like I did last year (too much of a headache), but I'll share the preseason ballot.

(This is what they call in the broadcasting biz a "tease")

Comment

No, but Adrian did hang 10 on the same Neumann team that ended Elmira, Plattsburgh and Hobarts seasons in the NCAA's in addition to winning the ECAC-W tournament...

Comment

Except that, off the top of my head, Plattsburgh and Manhattanville (and maybe Elmira) are too far from Adrian to travel per NCAA guidelines. And last year the team they blew out was Neumann. The eventual national champions and automatic preseason #1 for you.
                              Originally posted by altazo View Post
                              No, but Adrian did hang 10 on the same Neumann team that ended Elmira, Plattsburgh and Hobarts seasons in the NCAA's in addition to winning the ECAC-W tournament...
                              Elmira's actually closer to Adrian than Oswego. What are the NCAA guidelines? Do they go by distance or the time it takes to travel there?

I understand that Adrian beating Neumann 10-1 is significant, however the whole argument is based on what happened in one game. As Josh mentioned, they also lost to Neumann and they tied Potsdam as well last year. I am certainly not arguing that Adrian isn't a good team, but you can't go by what happened in just one game that happened last season. I mean, if we focused solely on that, the argument could be made that since Adrian also beat Northland (a team that won only a single game last year) Neumann and Northland are on the same level skill-wise. I'm quite sure no one would even think of comparing the National Champs with them looking at the rest of the schedule.
                              Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                              08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                              2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Working...
                              X