Buffalo State 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo State 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

The Bengals are back this year with veteran leadership and some fresh faces.

http://www.buffalostateathletics.com...&tab=icehockey

Click the details link listed under the games for a direct link to the broadcast on 91.3 FM WBNY. Adam Buchanan and Marc Lucarelli will return to the broadcast booth for their senior season as the voices for the Bengals. Mike Kline and Alana Fogel will have the intermission reports back in the studio. Also the games will be web-casted as well, for those of you who watched and listened last year the technical difficulties have been addressed and the audio and video do sync this year.

The Bengals try to repeat what they accomplished last year, Upset nationally ranked Hobart in their home opener tonight at the Buffalo State ice arena. Coverage starts at 6:30 with pregame reports and the puck drops at 7.

Re: Buffalo State 2009-10 Regular Season Thread

No one really gave the Bengals a shot tonight but they continue to surprise people. They split the series last year and with a 2-2 tie tonight they continue to put up a fight against Hobart. They had a 2-1 lead but blew it allowing a goal in the last 48 seconds of the 3rd period. The overtime they continued a back and forth battle. At one point the Bengals killed off a 5 on 3 Hobart advantage. This is surprising because the Bengals actually converted Forward Shareef Labreche and Daniel Carey to defense due to lack at depth at the position. Alan Fritch was stout in goal making 42 saves and has really emerged as one of the top goaltenders in the league. Fritch kept his composure and had a great season last year after Kyle Gunn-Taylor's departure to Oswego and the turmoil surrounding Zach Grazley. The Bengals travel to Hobart tomarrow in the 2nd half of the Home at Home series against Hobart.

Comment

Originally posted by BengalBroadcaster44 View Post
      Alan Fritch was stout in goal making 42 saves and has really emerged as one of the top goaltenders in the league.
      The fact Fritch actually may be one of the top goaltenders in the league likely says more about the quality of goaltending in the league, rather than his ability.

That being said, this is going to be an issue for the Bengals as long as they continue with their current strategy of "what defense?" It's going to take a goaltender making 42 saves and generally standing on his head to keep them in a game unless their offense is going off for 5-6 goals. It's likely not a great sign when you're going into the game trying to win 7-6.

Nobody can deny Buff State's offensive firepower, but unless Fritch morphs into an elite goaltender or they learn to play some defense, it's hard to see them getting above middle of the pack in the SUNYAC.
      2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
      2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
      2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
      Bracketologist For That Other Site

Comment

So Buff State plays fire wagon hockey?!?!? What a refreshing trend in college hockey! Imagine - a team that wants to win 7 - 6 instead of 2-1! Fans should love it. Purists will cry.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          So Buff State plays fire wagon hockey?!?!? Imagine - a team that wants to win 7 - 6 instead of 2-1! Fans should love it. Purists will cry.
          After the 9-1 loss on Saturday; I'd say the wagon is on fire!!
          NESCAC/ECAC-East Pick'em Champion 2009/2010

Comment

Originally posted by logger44444 View Post
            After the 9-1 loss on Saturday; I'd say the wagon is on fire!!
            Couldn't have said it any better. Fritch is a back up on any top tier DIII team. If he is "one of the top goaltenders in the league" then we are going to have a lot of football type scores this year...
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I was at Friday's game and Fritch clearly stole a point for the Bengals. Didn't see Saturday's game, so I don't know how much of it was poor goaltending. My question is, at what point does the coach decide the goalie's had enough - 10?
              In any case, if these two games against Hobart are indicative of the upcoming season, it looks like Fritch is going to have to steal quite a few points to make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by mazile View Post
                I was at Friday's game and Fritch clearly stole a point for the Bengals. Didn't see Saturday's game, so I don't know how much of it was poor goaltending. My question is, at what point does the coach decide the goalie's had enough - 10?
                In any case, if these two games against Hobart are indicative of the upcoming season, it looks like Fritch is going to have to steal quite a few points to make the playoffs.
                I saw both games; and yes, Fritch was more or less alone and stole game 1. The team showed up for 2 periods of game 2 but Fritch didn't.
                NESCAC/ECAC-East Pick'em Champion 2009/2010

Comment

Yes because Oswego picking up our left overs.... I mean Kyle Gunn-Taylor yea he is an elite goaltender. The problem is not Fritch but lack of defensive help with two natural forwards converting to the back end. Oh and we played a traditionally Nationally Ranked opponent in Hobart. As the season goes along you will see better production. Might I add it was our first two games of the year where as Oswego and Platty played tune up games....A loss and a tie in the first two games of the season against a very good team is not the end of the world or at least its not up here in Buffalo as compared to some other schools in the conf. a la Oswego losing last weekend and the sky fell. It was a non conf opponent....there is a lot of hockey yet to be played we havent even started conf play yet and ppl are already writing teams off.

Comment

KGT? What does he have to do with it? How many games has he started for Oswego? Another Bengal starter turned back up on a elite team...thanks for making the point.
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Yes because Oswego picking up our left overs.... I mean Kyle Gunn-Taylor yea he is an elite goaltender. The problem is not Fritch but lack of defensive help with two natural forwards converting to the back end. Oh and we played a traditionally Nationally Ranked opponent in Hobart. As the season goes along you will see better production. Might I add it was our first two games of the year where as Oswego and Platty played tune up games....A loss and a tie in the first two games of the season against a very good team is not the end of the world or at least its not up here in Buffalo as compared to some other schools in the conf. a la Oswego losing last weekend and the sky fell. It was a non conf opponent....there is a lot of hockey yet to be played we havent even started conf play yet and ppl are already writing teams off.
                      How did the sky fall for Oswego? They outscored a good Elmira team on the weekend and split the series. You could make the argument they were underdogs in both games starting so many freshman.

As far as your tune-up game point goes, I don't see how it has any merit. Buff St. tied Hobart the first game. If they had gotten destroyed in the first game and tied the 2nd, I could understand your point, but they played well on Friday and got roasted on Saturday. So apparently they had their tune-up on Friday and then tuned out on Saturday.
                      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
                      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
                      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Your leftovers?

KGT was a pretty good goaltender for you guys his freshman year and I think the fact he hasnt played for Oswego speaks to the talent that a guy like Beckwith has.

Personally, I'd like to see Gunn Taylor get a shot especially this weekend against Buffalo State. It'd certainly make for an interesting story line heading into the game and for the post game recap.

I dont think the sky fell at all in Oswego or Elmira. They split every year. They are both consistently strong national contenders and programs that have developed a great rivalry from their early season home and home series every year.

I think Oswego might be ranked a little high in the pre-season poll especially with how much turnover they had but hey it's just a poll. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Besides Carey voted in it, what kind of validity could a poll have once that happens?

(This is what we call in the broadcasting business a tease, Josh)
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Rivalry Game Tonight!!! Buffalo State V. Oswego Pack the house and go to the game...for all you out of towners you can still watch the game Click the details link on the schedule for links for the webcast and the audio......91.3 FM WBNY!

Comment

Rivalry Game Tonight!!! Buffalo State V. Oswego Pack the house and go to the game...for all you out of towners you can still watch the game Click the details link on the schedule for links for the webcast and the audio......91.3 FM WBNY!
                            Rivalry game?

If you think Kyle Gunn Taylor's transfer all of sudden makes this a rivalry you are mistaken. Oswego has had players transfer to Buff State before in TJ Manastersky and Johnny Duco and it's still the same old SUNYAC game.

Oswego's rival is Plattsburgh and then probably secondary would be Geneseo, Fredonia or Elmira.

PS: Usually you have to beat your "rival" for it to be a rivalry. 0-28-4
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              Rivalry game?

PS: Usually you have to beat your "rival" for it to be a rivalry. 0-28-4

PS: Usually you have to beat your "rival" for it to be a rivalry. 0-8-1

Comment

Working...
                              X