Michigan at Boston University 10/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan at Boston University 10/24

How has this thread not been started yet?

I was looking forward to this game as the cap to my Best Birthday Week Ever. Then the banner raising got moved, BU lost to Notre Dame, I have a headache and want to go home and crawl into bed and no one has picked up on any of my hints and wished me a happy birthday today so forgive if I'm not really looking forward to Saturday's game.

Re: Michigan at Boston University 10/24

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    How has this thread not been started yet?

I was looking forward to this game as the cap to my Best Birthday Week Ever. Then the banner raising got moved, BU lost to Notre Dame, I have a headache and want to go home and crawl into bed and no one has picked up on any of my hints and wished me a happy birthday today so forgive if I'm not really looking forward to Saturday's game.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    GO BU! がんばろうTERRIERS

Comment

I wanted to start it, but couldn't come up with a clever title.

Anyway, thoughts from Michigan fans about what we should expect from this team?

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        I wanted to start it, but couldn't come up with a clever title.

Anyway, thoughts from Michigan fans about what we should expect from this team?
        I'm not sure. We're playing Niagara tonight so perhaps I'll report back after that.

Hogan is decent in goal (I believe Sauer got the start at BU last year). We've got a strong returning defense.

Offense is questionable for now. We were off last weekend, before that we were in Alaska and came out flat against Fairbanks, losing 2-0. The following night Michigan scored 3 in the first period. I think it will take time for the offense, PP, and PK units to click...but it's a promising team.

Wish I could make it to the game again this year.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

As much as I'd love to see a repeat of what happened in last year's matchup, I strongly doubt that'll happen. That game was arguably BU's most complete performance of the season, albeit against a very banged-up Michigan team and Sauer pulling a Sauer-esque performance between the pipes.

For Michigan fans, here's a primer on BU so far this season:

Obviously BU hasn't gotten off to a desirable start. They've looked out of sync offensively and have had some surprisingly bad defensive breakdowns in their 2 losses.

BU lost 5 of its top 6 scorers (Colin Wilson, plus 4 Seniors -Matt Gilroy, Chris Higgins, Brandon Yip and Jason Lawrence). These guys accounted for almost half the goals scored last season. Co-captain John McCarthy, who scored a career-high 29 points last season, also graduated.

50-point scorer Nick Bonino returns, but has been held pointless so far. He's the proverbial straw that stirs the drink on offense, but he's getting a lot more attention from opponents and hasn't had much room to handle the puck. Last year much of the focus was on the Wilson line (1st line), so Bonino and his linemates (Yip and McCarthy) capitalized on mismatches against opponents. From what I've seen so far Bonino is trying to do too much himself, plus his linemates haven't been supporting him nor getting to open spots to take advantage of his playmaking.

This year's BU team doesn't have as much scoring depth and has a surplus of role players that are being asked to play very significant roles offensively. There are also a couple of very talented Freshmen forwards (Alex Chiasson and Wade Megan) that are trying to integrate themselves into the lineup, as there are very high expectations on them to play a major role on offense. With all the turnover amongst the forwards, I think it may take some time for them to gel offensively.

On D, the very talented quartet of returning defensemen (Eric Gryba, Kevin Shattenkirk, Colby Cohen, David Warsofsky) haven't played as well as expected. At times the 2 Freshmen d-men in the lineup have played much better than their more experienced teammates. I expect BU to play in a lot more tight, low-scoring games this year, so the D needs to tighten up because BU doesn't have the same firepower to blow out opponents the way they often did last season.

In goal, Kieran Millan has already matched his total # of losses from last season. Millan is a superior positional goalie who moves very efficiently between the pipes. However, his positioning has looked a little off at times and he's given up a couple of relatively soft goals. Grant Rollheiser is sidelined with an high ankle sprain and his return date is uncertain. This is disappointing b/c BU was counting on a Millan/Rollheiser rotation to start the season. Rollheiser has lots of potential that he displayed on occasion last season, but between injuries and some confidence issues, he didn't develop to the extent Millan did.

There's also been a change behind the bench that I think has been somewhat downplayed. David Quinn left BU after 5 years as Associate Head Coach, taking a head coaching gig in the AHL. Long-time Assistant Coach Mike Bavis was promoted and former RPI/Bowling Green head coach Buddy Powers joined the BU staff after being out of coaching for numerous years. Quinn played an instrumental part in recruiting as well as developing a solid core of defensemen, so I feel the coaching staff change has had a bigger impact on the team than perhaps some people realize.

As for Saturday's game, I have no idea what to expect. I just hope BU comes out with a much more solid and complete effort than what I've seen so far this season, and let the outcome take care of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtiful View Post
            HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
            X2
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Very comprehensive. Thanks.

Like wT said, Michigan plays its first regular season game tonight after having a week off from traveling to Alaska and coming back with mixed results.

The offense took a hit losing (would be Junior) Aaron Palushaj, who contributed 50 points last season. They also lost the previously mentioned Sauer, Miller, Fardig, Mitera and Turnbull to graduation. Miller and Turnbull added defensive skill (especially on faceoffs and PK's) and balanced out the line rotations with occasional offense. Fardig was a third and fourth line banger. Mitera was seriously injured in the first game last season and was essentially a non-factor when he returned late in the season. It was a big loss on the blueline, considering his lofty draft selection and +/- for the Wolverines.

I honestly don't know anything about the (7) incoming freshmen. By accounts from other Michigan fans, some have the prototypical size, speed and skill, although it would be a stretch to indicate that any of them are going to be impact players like a Comrie, Camalleri, Hensick etc. out of the gate. Look for kids like Chris Brown and Kevin Lynch to make an impression.

The offensive mantle shifts to Juniors Louie Caporusso, Matt Rust and Carl Hagelin. Michigan is looking for bigger efforts from So. David Wohlberg and Robbie Czarnik. The remaining forwards are depth players that work hard and play an up tempo physical style.

The defense is deep with returners such as Sr. Captain, Chris Summers, Sr. Steve Kampfer, Jr. Chad Langlais, Jr. Tristin Llewellyn, So. Greg Pateryn and So. Brandon Burlon. Freshman Lee Moffie may rotate in, also. They are not overly big, but are very mobile and tend to jump into the offense more frequently.

Goaltending depth is rather thin, with Jr. Bryan Hogan probably in net all season providing he remains healthy.

In all, Michigan has 5 seniors and 9 juniors leading the way. 12 members of the team are NHL draftees.

My guess is, Michigan will be walking into another tough environment, regardless of the record BU brings into the game. BU will be seeking their first win of the year (after a previous emotional home loss to Notre Dame)and no better way to do it than against a Michigan team that is still trying to figure out its own identity.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Scarlet.

I'd like to see BU cut out the defensive lapses, more than anything.

I think the offense will come but I expect low-scoring games. What we can't afford right now is a ten minute stretch of running around and blowing assignments and burying the team.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Go Blue at 3:30...I can't wait to cheer for Michigan football at Ts before the game and then cheer against them at gametime.
                I love BC people - without them, everyone would want to move to Boston. They keep the numbers down. - Bill Simmons

Boston University: 2009 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by BUtiful View Post
                  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
                  +another 1. I hope you have a great week Scarlet!

I was going to post exactly what wT and streaker have said. So bear with us and our game tonight. You'll note that there isn't even a thread about that game.

My brother's report from the UA_ game was pretty ****ing- no hustle, poor neutral zone play, no agression. But I'm not sure if that's the team, the travel, or UA_ just knowing what button to push against UM to turn them off- MSU had the key for many years. Since most predicted that UA_ would loose, and UAA would win, and we took that one 6-1, I'm leaning toward a combination of the UA_ effective game + the travel/lack of practice.

BTW, it's incredibly amusing that the UM athletic department is quoting season stats already. After 2 games. We are scoring at 3 goals per game. 6 in one, zero in the other.... It was just funny to read stats this early. It came in the e-mail about the game tonight.

Comment

Definite birthday greetings to Scarlet, one of the finest fans on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      My brother's report from the UA_ game was pretty ****ing- no hustle, poor neutral zone play, no agression. But I'm not sure if that's the team, the travel, or UA_ just knowing what button to push against
                      Your brother's report for the UA_ game? Was there someone at that game I should have met?

Michigan was out-hustled their first game (against UA_).
                      The game against UAA was fun to watch because UAA tried to play physical and Michigan just let them make the hits (which took UAA out of the play and allowed Michigan to take the puck).
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        Your brother's report for the UA_ game? Was there someone at that game I should have met?
                        I told you he lives in North Pole (Fairbanks) and that he would be at the game. (my nephew had a State Tourny F-Ball game down there). He was rooting for UA_ anyway.

I'm just hoping that his impression (that Red is getting soft) is wrong, and the UAA game seems to hold our impression up more.

Comment

Felicitations to Scarlet.
                          Always enjoy your intelligent commentary and gracious approach.

Last years Michigan-BU game, especially the 2nd period of near flawless BU play, was a crystallizing moment for the team. Hope to see some evidence of the team coalescing this Saturday.

After having a half dozen folks behind the penalty box for the highly disappointing ND game (except for seeing so many big, bad freshmen, Z. Cohen, who was a total beast, and surprisingly good all-round play by Gryba) am looking forward to, with somewhat fewer accomplices and slightly lower expectations, to this game.
                          It'll be my last live peek 'til the snowbowl in 2010.

Somehow, I feel like that banner will keep me warm for the next couple of winters, kinda like the '04 Sox victory.
                          Last edited by skatin_terrier; 10-23-2009, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Well, if UM plays like we did last night, it's not going to be much of a game. While they were sharp in the first, with freshmen getting their first goals, after that, pretty much nothing.

Hard to give you a solid scouting for what to watch for. Even Chris Summers had a bad game last night. UM scored 3 in the first, and then just played good enough not to loose. that's it. Very confused.

Comment

It's gameday and this thread's on the second page. Poor effort, guys and girls.

Michigan leads the all-time series 13-9. The Wolverines are one of just four teams that Parker has coached against at least 10 times that he has a losing record against (the others are Minnesota, NoDak and No. Michigan). Parker is 7-8 against Michigan, meaning a win tonight would reduce that list to just three teams.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                              X