Michigan State at Miami 10/23-24 -- On The Road Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan State at Miami 10/23-24 -- On The Road Again

Sparty hits the road for the second trip of the season, and will arrive in Oxford fresh off a split with Maine. How will it end? I don't know; it's a mystery.
    "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    - Mark Twain

Re: Michigan State at Miami 10/23-24 -- On The Road Again

We have improved far more than i think anyone would have predicted but i think we will be fortunate to take a game this weekend. If it was at home, i'd feel alright about our chances for a few points but i think we are gonna have to steal one. I think we will be comptetetive and put up a fight but Miami is more experienced and probably a bit stronger and faster.

Comment

This weekend will set the tempo for the rest of the season. MSU could lose both games and still establish that they are going to be contenders. If they play at a high speed and get physical for both games then the Spartans will be able to say "we're baaaaack". A split would be great and not out of the realm of possibility but effort and attitude is going to take this team forward.

I predict a split, with my fingers crossed.
      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

After last season, I don't know what to expect from MSU. That said, looks like you guys have started nicely. Historically, MSU owns a 66-25-5 record all-time vs. Miami so it's never an opponent that Miami can take lightly. However, the series has been fairly even since 2000, with by my account, MSU holding a 14-11 advantage over the RedHawks including a few CCHA playoff wins.

This will be the 3rd quality opponent Miami has faced in the first three weeks of the season. Even though Connor Knapp had a rough night on Saturday (due mainly to excessive penalties that Miami is still prone to taking), he did post a shutout over St. Cloud so I think both goaltenders will play with Cody Reichard playing Friday.

Miami's freshmen have made an immediate impact which has been good to see, but this team is still led by its junior class and you can expect some of the familiar names - Camper, Wingels, Cannone and Miele to appear on the scoresheet I would think. Freshmen to watch include Curtis McKenzie, Joe Hartman and Reilly Smith. Moe Mantha's son, Devin, is on the squad and has dressed for one game when he scored his first collegiate goal.

Who are the Spartans we should keep an eye on? What's life like in net post all-world Jeff Lerg?
        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
          After last season, I don't know what to expect from MSU. That said, looks like you guys have started nicely. Historically, MSU owns a 66-25-5 record all-time vs. Miami so it's never an opponent that Miami can take lightly. However, the series has been fairly even since 2000, with by my account, MSU holding a 14-11 advantage over the RedHawks including a few CCHA playoff wins.

This will be the 3rd quality opponent Miami has faced in the first three weeks of the season. Even though Connor Knapp had a rough night on Saturday (due mainly to excessive penalties that Miami is still prone to taking), he did post a shutout over St. Cloud so I think both goaltenders will play with Cody Reichard playing Friday.

Miami's freshmen have made an immediate impact which has been good to see, but this team is still led by its junior class and you can expect some of the familiar names - Camper, Wingels, Cannone and Miele to appear on the scoresheet I would think. Freshmen to watch include Curtis McKenzie, Joe Hartman and Reilly Smith. Moe Mantha's son, Devin, is on the squad and has dressed for one game when he scored his first collegiate goal.

Who are the Spartans we should keep an eye on? What's life like in net post all-world Jeff Lerg?
          Getting to your last question first - if the first couple weeks are any indication, although MSU doesn't have the goalie that can single-handedly keep his team in any game, goaltending won't be a major issue this season. Palmisano's up to the task and though Jarosz has had some shaky minutes, I've seen him stand on his head in the past and he could do it again.

Tropp is on fire on the top line and if he's not getting goals he's generating one dangerous chance after another. Grant seems to have all the tools a forward can have and could be a challenge for Miami.

Sucharski and Forfar will be key on PK because of faceoff savvy and on the attack with their determination to scrap behind the net and in the corners.

After a great first game Leveille's line has been somewhat quiet but has the ability to catch fire, and Gazley doesn't seem daunted by an opponent's size.

Like him, I believe guys like Walrod, Nill and Golembiewski are primed to finally be rewarded with some points - they're working hard enough.

Like him as well, Torey Krug's skill in moving the puck as a defenseman more than compensates for his size - he and Petry run the power play effectively. Buttery and Shelgren are much improved blueliners, and Josepher and Crandell can put up points. I believe State will have an extra defenseman - Matt Grassi - this weekend. Very big and quite offensively-minded.

With Grassi as well as Dean Chelios - who will split time with Merrified this weekend, Spartans will see ice time in Oxford from all nine freshmen.

But I worry about facing competition on a significantly higher level this weekend. The Redhawks look like an NHL team in terms of their (almost rediculous) size, and these guys have scorers on every line. They're so good on the PK they could very well neutralize the success MSU's had with the man advantage so far.

That being said, I don't think you'll ever see again anything like the 60-13 shooting advantage Miami had one game last season. State seems to be a far different team physically compared to last season. Spartans also forecheck more and like to control the puck - they could pepper Reichard or Knapp and hope for some rebounds.

If MSU wins one of these games, they've made no noteable mistakes and drawn very few penalties. To win game 1 - they'll have to get some fortunate bounces. To win game 2 - it'll be because a confident 4-0-1 team will be on cruise control and lessen its intensity for one or two periods.
          Last edited by owslachief; 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
            I predict a split, with my fingers crossed.
            After oh about late November, I may need finger crossectomy.

Comment

We are much improved compared to last season - we're not the 8th-to-11th place team everybody is projecting us to be this season. That said, I don't see us taking any points out of this weekend. I mean, hell, we are playing the number one team in the country, and all.

We're just too young and too small for Miami. Two-to-three points would be astonishing, but likely unattainable.

I'm expecting a Friday throttling and a hard-fought, "hang your hat on it" loss on Saturday.
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

MSU will be swept but it we might keep it close in one of the games.

Its not rare for the better team to win twice.
                Go Green- 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPS - Go White!

Comment

Gotta admit I'm impressed with the turnaround already up in East Lansing. Not necessarily the best of opponents so far (Maine has really fallen off), but after last years finish that is definitely a step in the right direction. Tropp appears to be on fire, has nobody been pressuring him and letting him just work the puck wherever he wants? Are you looking at playing both goalies this weekend or was Jar's start just throwing him a bone? What are your realistic expectations of this team this season, still fighting for a top-4 finish or just figuring to be in the top 6? Should be a great weekend of puck, I really hope that Blasi has beatin it into these kids heads that you can't lose your focus and take a bunch of dumb penalties because teams with firepower will make you pay for it like UNH did on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                    Gotta admit I'm impressed with the turnaround already up in East Lansing. Not necessarily the best of opponents so far (Maine has really fallen off), but after last years finish that is definitely a step in the right direction. Tropp appears to be on fire, has nobody been pressuring him and letting him just work the puck wherever he wants? Are you looking at playing both goalies this weekend or was Jar's start just throwing him a bone? What are your realistic expectations of this team this season, still fighting for a top-4 finish or just figuring to be in the top 6? Should be a great weekend of puck, I really hope that Blasi has beatin it into these kids heads that you can't lose your focus and take a bunch of dumb penalties because teams with firepower will make you pay for it like UNH did on Saturday.
                    If I know Comley like I think I know him - I think he wants to give Jarosz a start on the road against a top team like he did Palmisano vs. U-M last year. Especially if #29 has a bad one on Friday.

Tropp's partly benefitting from a genuine playmaker (Grant) and an experienced centerman. But I think he's also dedicating himself to turn over a new leaf and live up to his billing.
                    Last edited by owslachief; 10-20-2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Well this series will be a lot better than first thought, by me atleast.

When looking at miami's schedule I thought this weekend might be one where they can not play their best and still get two wins and gear up for NMU and Mich. But now if that were to happen MSU will win one. I second what has been previously said, I knew comely was a magician but the start you have had is wonderful to see.

This will be a battle, Miami may have some experience but like we said to the UNH people we are young as well. Miami has yet to play 60 min but have shown flashes of it in the early going.

Should be two good ones in oxford. Anyone coming down?
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                        Well this series will be a lot better than first thought, by me atleast.

When looking at miami's schedule I thought this weekend might be one where they can not play their best and still get two wins and gear up for NMU and Mich. But now if that were to happen MSU will win one. I second what has been previously said, I knew comely was a magician but the start you have had is wonderful to see.

This will be a battle, Miami may have some experience but like we said to the UNH people we are young as well. Miami has yet to play 60 min but have shown flashes of it in the early going.

Should be two good ones in oxford. Anyone coming down?
                        The tooth fairy will be busy this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          Getting to your last question first - if the first couple weeks are any indication, although MSU doesn't have the goalie that can single-handedly keep his team in any game, goaltending won't be a major issue this season. Palmisano's up to the task and though Jarosz has had some shaky minutes, I've seen him stand on his head in the past and he could do it again.

Tropp is on fire on the top line and if he's not getting goals he's generating one dangerous chance after another. Grant seems to have all the tools a forward can have and could be a challenge for Miami.

Sucharski and Forfar will be key on PK because of faceoff savvy and on the attack with their determination to scrap behind the net and in the corners.

After a great first game Leveille's line has been somewhat quiet but has the ability to catch fire, and Gazley doesn't seem daunted by an opponent's size.

Like him, I believe guys like Walrod, Nill and Golembiewski are primed to finally be rewarded with some points - they're working hard enough.

Like him as well, Torey Krug's skill in moving the puck as a defenseman more than compensates for his size - he and Petry run the power play effectively. Buttery and Shelgren are much improved blueliners, and Josepher and Crandell can put up points. I believe State will have an extra defenseman - Matt Grassi - this weekend. Very big and quite offensively-minded.

With Grassi as well as Dean Chelios - who will split time with Merrified this weekend, Spartans will see ice time in Oxford from all nine freshmen.

But I worry about facing competition on a significantly higher level this weekend. The Redhawks look like an NHL team in terms of their (almost rediculous) size, and these guys have scorers on every line. They're so good on the PK they could very well neutralize the success MSU's had with the man advantage so far.

That being said, I don't think you'll ever see again anything like the 60-13 shooting advantage Miami had one game last season. State seems to be a far different team physically compared to last season. Spartans also forecheck more and like to control the puck - they could pepper Reichard or Knapp and hope for some rebounds.

If MSU wins one of these games, they've made no noteable mistakes and drawn very few penalties. To win game 1 - they'll have to get some fortunate bounces. To win game 2 - it'll be because a confident 4-0-1 team will be on cruise control and lessen its intensity for one or two periods.

Very nice insight! I think one main reason for the quick turn around is the fact that sparty seems fairly healthy. I don't think there was a question about the talent in east lansing last year, but when you have to dress a handful of club guys to fill out a roster that is never good.

I had a chance to sit with a nice couple from East lansing during the frozen four and talked with them at length about that. I think had sparty been healthy last year they would of finished significantly higher.
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                            Very nice insight! I think one main reason for the quick turn around is the fact that sparty seems fairly healthy. I don't think there was a question about the talent in east lansing last year, but when you have to dress a handful of club guys to fill out a roster that is never good.

I had a chance to sit with a nice couple from East lansing during the frozen four and talked with them at length about that. I think had sparty been healthy last year they would of finished significantly higher.
                            Yea, that's interesting because I met some real nice MSUers in Washington too. One guy I had met came over and congratulated me with about three minutes to go and, I am not making this up, I said "hey it's not over yet." Mrs. redeagle will attest to this. I'll be glad when that game is a more distant memory also, rhm.

Miami will always be grateful to MSU; you sent George Gwozdecky our way and that started a sequence of events that has turned out ok for Miami.

Comment

Will Grassi see some ice time this weekend? It is a bit of a tricky situation with him having been out because it would be real tough for your first D-1 action to be against the top ranked team and in their building. I think we might dress him as like a 7th D-man and give him some PK time or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X