Notre Dame at Boston University 10/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame at Boston University 10/20

Has this thread really not been made yet? Well the game is in 31 hours so here goes

Combined record of the two teams: 2-3-0 against UAH, PC, and UMA

Re: Notre Dame at Boston University 10/20

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    Has this thread really not been made yet? Well the game is in 31 hours so here goes

Combined record of the two teams: 2-3-0 against UAH, PC, and UMA
    When I started following BU Hockey I always feared this game would happen... I'm a die hard Irish Football/Basketball fan by family association, and a couple of my uncles played on the hockey team during the Lefty Smith ages...

Although I really thought it was going to happen in the NC last year, and that would have been terrible...

Any way both teams can win without a tie?

Looking forward to the game... I noticed JJfP noted that the Irish have ALSO been suffering from a-lot-of-shots-on-goal-but-not-many-in-the-back-of-the-net syndrome... I guess something's gotta give on Tuesday. Or maybe we can try to have an 100 shot 0-0 tie... would that be a record?
    Last edited by quiddlet; 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM.
    Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

BU is 2-0 all-time vs. ND. Both games had a final score of 7-3 and both games were on Dec. 29 (1970 and 1995). That's pretty much all the useless info I can gather on this rivalry by looking at the media guide.
      Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

After the loss in the last game, everyone figured we should go back to letting you start game threads.
        Boston University 2009 Champs
        Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
          BU is 2-0 all-time vs. ND. Both games had a final score of 7-3 and both games were on Dec. 29 (1970 and 1995). That's pretty much all the useless info I can gather on this rivalry by looking at the media guide.
          The 1970 game was the championship game of the Boston Arena Christmas Tournament and the 7-3 score was close to the 7-2 win that team averaged for the season. BU scored its 7 on 33 shots with Jake Danby getting two, and one each from (UMass Coach) Toot Cahoon Steve Dolloff, Ric Jordan, Bob Brown and Wayne Gowing (SHG). Tim Regan (of course) was in goal against the Irish and made 31 saves.

There's a preview article of tomorrow's game in the South Bend Tribune.
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
            When I started following BU Hockey I always feared this game would happen... I'm a die hard Irish Football/Basketball fan by family association, and a couple of my uncles played on the hockey team during the Lefty Smith ages...

Although I really thought it was going to happen in the NC last year, and that would have been terrible...

Any way both teams can win without a tie?
            Well lucky for you BU's hockey team aint playing ND's football or basketball team.

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
            After the loss in the last game, everyone figured we should go back to letting you start game threads.
            I only started doing a lot of them last year once it got late in the season, I wanted to save my luck for more important games

Comment

Looking forward to this game. I believe it is on ESPNU.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                Looking forward to this game. I believe it is on ESPNU.
                I believe you're correct.

Looking forward to catching my first game of the season (and picking up my reprinted season tickets ... sigh. )

Comment

Well lucky for you BU's hockey team aint playing ND's football or basketball team.
                  Might be the only way BU gets a win.

Comment

Here's my input - should be a good game overall.

Goaltending - Most likely Millan will be back in net for BU as he played solid all of last year and despite the loss on Friday he played fairly well, he wasn't amazing, but he certainly kept his team in it and did his job. Notre Dame has had a recent problem of replacing very solid goaltenders in the last few years, starting after 2007 when Jordan Pearce had to replace Hobey Finalist David Brown. Pearce had a very good season last year and Notre Dame is once again called on to fill this gap, possibly with Brad Phillips, but since 3 goalies have played so far I assume the job is still up for grabs.

Offense/Defense - BU clearly has some good recruits in Alex Chiasson and Max Nicastro, and Chiasson certainly proved himself the other night. Both teams return All-American defenseman in Shattenkirk and Ian Cole, and they are both very fundamentally sound and can also be physical at times. Kevin Deeth and Ryan Thang to me are ND's biggest impact players on offense, as they certainly can both score and make good decisions with the puck. Question is who will step up for BU this year in the absence of Wilson, Lawrence, Yip, etc. Will Nick Bonino be the man once again? A new freshman? Time will tell.

All in all I feel that this should be a good game, as both are strong teams, and have both made noise nationally in the past few years. I feel that with the home-ice advantage and recent loss, BU will come out flying, and with ND's questionable goaltending situation should win a close one. My predicition is BU 3, ND 1 but the puck obviously hasn't dropped yet!
                    Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                      Goaltending - Most likely Millan will be back in net for BU as he played solid all of last year and despite the loss on Friday he played fairly well, he wasn't amazing, but he certainly kept his team in it and did his job.
                      Most likely? Who are they gonna put in? Kraus? I'll bet my diploma that Millan is in net barring something unforseen. He played a great game the other night - two of the goals he let in were off his own defenseman and he stopped numerous great chances by UMass.
                      time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                        Most likely? Who are they gonna put in? Kraus? I'll bet my diploma that Millan is in net barring something unforseen. He played a great game the other night - two of the goals he let in were off his own defenseman and he stopped numerous great chances by UMass.
                        Are you forgetting that you have another goalie on your team who is an NHL draft pick? Coach Parker said recently that using a goaltending rotation would be ideal. Plus, its early and nonconference, maybe someone else will get some minutes.
                        Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                          Are you forgetting that you have another goalie on your team who is an NHL draft pick? Coach Parker said recently that using a goaltending rotation would be ideal. Plus, its early and nonconference, maybe someone else will get some minutes.
                          Pretty sure that he was injured last I checked... (well, recovering from injury)

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                            Pretty sure that he was injured last I checked... (well, recovering from injury)
                            So was John Muse and he played.
                            Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Rollheiser is still "week-to-week". I wouldn't expect him back by tonight, especially since he hasn't even practiced since the injury.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                              X