Dogs v/s Cats (UNH/NU Fri 10/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs v/s Cats (UNH/NU Fri 10/23)

1-1-1 last season.. i see another close series this yr with the edge to UNH. I am hoping for a strong showing from my Huskies but you guys just played the best team in the nation.. that's gotta rub off some. Go Huskies
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Re: Dogs v/s Cats (UNH/NU Fri 10/23)

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
    1-1-1 last season.. i see another close series this yr with the edge to UNH. I am hoping for a strong showing from my Huskies but you guys just played the best team in the nation.. that's gotta rub off some. Go Huskies
    What's with the "v/s" instead of just "vs"? Curious.

Also, can someone at NU learn to proof read something before they make and give out 1000 t-shirts that say "Who's House is This?" That's an embarrassment to NU and they work they have been doing to improve the school and its reputation. There also were 6 guys w/o shirts who spelled "HUSKYS" but I think that was more of an issue of not having enough people who would want to paint their chests over actually misspelling something. But I have been wrong before.

Who is House is This? Dog is House!

Go Huskys!

I kid. Go NU!
    Originally posted by Bakunin
    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Chickens.. you're right.. don't know wh/y?

Anyway.. most people are picking UNH (and rightly so) in this one. I think if NU can take care of the first 10 mins of the UNH onslaught & give Rawlings a bit to settle.. we might have a chance. Watch out for Butler & Kessel (they are very good). I am surprised Butler hasn't gone pro yet..

And where's the grammar police when you need em..
      GO NU HOCKEY
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I'm not optimistic about this one, UNH has been scoring in bunches this year thus far and Not Brad Thiessen has looked more-than-a-little shaky for about 65% of his time in net this year. Here's hoping a solid showing against the other BU will carry over.

Hoping...not expecting.

Our D has to know that the rebounds are coming...we have to be quicker in clearing rebounds, we did it last year, we're not doing it this year. That needs to change.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ2NU View Post
          I'm not optimistic about this one, UNH has been scoring in bunches this year thus far and Not Brad Thiessen has looked more-than-a-little shaky for about 65% of his time in net this year. Here's hoping a solid showing against the other BU will carry over.

Hoping...not expecting.

Our D has to know that the rebounds are coming...we have to be quicker in clearing rebounds, we did it last year, we're not doing it this year. That needs to change.
          UNH may have scored a bunch this weekend, but they've let up even more. I don't think your goaltending is as important as your offense.
          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
          -Fred Shero

Comment

UNH fans.. of the 11 goals your goalie gave up last wknd.. how many were garbage/lucky etc versus quality shots?
            (i am not trying to demean your goalie..).. actually quite the opposite..

I am trying to determine how much of a chance our offense will have come Friday.
            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

UNH fans.. of the 11 goals your goalie gave up last wknd.. how many were garbage/lucky etc versus quality shots?
              (i am not trying to demean your goalie..).. actually quite the opposite..

I am trying to determine how much of a chance our offense will have come Friday.
              I seem to be in the minority but I don't think Foster played that badly.

-He had one gak on Friday when Camper didn't even get a shot off as the d-man made a great play to lift the stick on the break away and the puck trickled in 5-hole.

-He had one other problem one night don't remember which but it was second period (shocking) where he should have controlled the rebound. The uncovered Miami guy standing at the top of the crease had to take a couple whacks before getting the puck in the net. Foster should have had the rebound but somebody should have had the Miami forward.

Beyond those two I didn't see many that Foster had much of a chance on. There were at least 3 maybe 4 where Miami had a two man screen moving in front of him at the time of a smart shot from the point, I saw at least 2 of those he never saw the puck - didn't move.

The rest were predominantly guys free coming down the slot with a feed (many from behind the net) most goalies at any level are toast on that play.

He also had several nice saves. On in particular I don't know how he got post to post to be that guys tap in. Letโ€™s not forget the good plays he had. The D was little help at times. UNH's youth was exposed in the in zone coverage. I go to the games with my father and regularly we were grumping "watch the guy in the slot" as all eyes were on the puck carrier.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

JB.. great post & observations. BTW, our new goalie Chris Rawlings.. he does give up big rebounds often (so far). We have been partly lucky and several times found ways to clear those. Hope he finds a way to control that aspect of his goaltending.. UNH will not make the same mistakes Bentley did.

I also hope we see Alex Tuckerman & Chris Donovan back for our gms this wknd. Both are solid contributors & were out sick, our last gm against Bentley.
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I actually mostly agree with JB. I do worry about Foster's lateral movement, as it seems like he doesn't get across the crease as quick as he used to (though some of that this weekend may have been the Miami forwards being really good, and getting the one-timers off faster than most teams we see). I don't put the onus solely on Foster, but on the defense, too - they're letting guys park in front of the net, or get open on the weak side. Leads to Foster either being screened or a wide-open net to shoot at.

I seem to remember NU being a physical team last year. Both Miami and RPI took the body to UNH. It worked well on the smaller rink, but wasn't as effective on the large ice.
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                    I don't put the onus solely on Foster, but on the defense, too - they're letting guys park in front of the net, or get open on the weak side. Leads to Foster either being screened or a wide-open net to shoot at.
                    Big time. Defense is a question for me.
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I also hope we see Alex Tuckerman & Chris Donovan back for our gms this wknd. Both are solid contributors & were out sick, our last gm against Bentley.
                      agreed, especially when you consider donovan's speed and speed definitely helps more on a bigger ice sheet.
                      Arenas Attended
                      Matthews Arena
                      Agganis Arena
                      Tsongas Arena
                      Lawler Arena
                      Schneider Arena
                      Mullins Center
                      TD Banknorth Garden
                      Conte Forum
                      Whittemore Center
                      Gutterson Fieldhouse
                      Alfond Arena
                      Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                        Big time. Defense is a question for me.
                        Views from my seat the defenseman as a group aren’t that bad; please note, I did not say good.

The open man problem many times was the center. The D-men were behind the net with the forwards and the center wasn't on his guy (Center and Goals: Leblanc = 0, Borisenok = 5, Block = 3, DiSimone = 3). Twice it was the guy coming off the Miami bench and I think a UNH wing should have rotated but I am not sure. It certainly didn't help that the Miami forward got away from the D-man on the wall. These were young player errors is a team D situations. I might actually start bring a note pad because many of the goals have now blended together in my head.

I think the Miami games will be good for UNH. Miami's execution was so good that the coaches can now point out - when you do this goals happen.

My thoughts on the individual D-men for this last weekend from my eyes:

Kessel is an excellent player. How much trouble would UNH be in without him.

Campanale is starting to grow on me. By the end of the second Miami game he was showing real confidence with the puck. Several time curling in his corner without going behind the net to break free of the Miami forward. He does hit which is good and seem strong on the wall. Pleasantly surprised

Beck scares me. He looks lost out there.

Hardowa looks like he has some tools. Seems to be adjusting to the College speed. I seemed to notice him less the longer the Miami game went on, that is probably a good thing. Jury is out.

Kipp I just don't know. At this point doesn't scare me as much as Beck.

Kostolansky I haven't seen him play must have played at RPI.

Krates I think he will be a solid stay at home guy. I don't think he is great but not terrible.

Funny thing is Beck and Kipp were only on the ice for 1 goal each of 11 last weekend. Shows what my eyes see - what I know.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

In terms of team speed this is probably the fastest NU team I've seen. Look for our freshmen defensemen to jump into the offense. Our blueliners have the potential to be very productive offensively with their speed and puck handling skills.
                          Originally posted by owslachief
                          Furthermore, here are the best predictors of particular leagues:

Hockey East (9 points) ... sameoldfury

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                            My thoughts on the individual D-men for this last weekend from my eyes:

Kessel is an excellent player. How much trouble would UNH be in without him.

Campanale is starting to grow on me. By the end of the second Miami game he was showing real confidence with the puck. Several time curling in his corner without going behind the net to break free of the Miami forward. He does hit which is good and seem strong on the wall. Pleasantly surprised

Beck scares me. He looks lost out there.

Hardowa looks like he has some tools. Seems to be adjusting to the College speed. I seemed to notice him less the longer the Miami game went on, that is probably a good thing. Jury is out.

Kipp I just don't know. At this point doesn't scare me as much as Beck.

Kostolansky I haven't seen him play must have played at RPI.

Krates I think he will be a solid stay at home guy. I don't think he is great but not terrible.

Funny thing is Beck and Kipp were only on the ice for 1 goal each of 11 last weekend. Shows what my eyes see - what I know.
                            I agree with your points on Kessel and Hardowa. Krates has been solid his entire career, and as much as I wish he'd get involve with the offense, sometimes it's good to have a guy who simply plays his position. Otherwise you end up with guys like Kipp.

I realized it last weekend, Damon Kipp simply tries too hard...which on one hand, you can't fault him for. But since he over-pursues, or leaves his "area," or however you want to call it...he leaves a gaping hole that, when there's a loose puck and the other team takes possession, it seems that they always take advantage of it by clearing it where he used to be, or by positioning an open man in 20 feet of open ice. I'll grant you, he makes a smart play or two every game, but from what I see, he tends to make many more bone-headed ones.

Beck, I haven't seen enough of him yet to judge off it...I'm mostly lambasting Kipp based off the complete lack of improvement from last year to this year. Beck didn't play enough last year for me to draw any sort of comparisons.
                            A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Drive-by post for the obligatory Simpsons quote.

"The animal food chain goes, mouse, cat, dog." --Roger Meyers
                              Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Working...
                              X