Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine at UMassA

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
    UMass has sold out a grand total of once. Last week the game didn't sell out homecoming weekend against the defending national champions, and they have a fan base that travels real well. You'll be fine.
    I agree that it won't sell out, but last week was 250 people short of a sellout and they were turning students away at the door. It is relatively easy to get seats at Mullins because of the capacity, not the lack of support (average conference attendence over 5300 each of the last 2 years).

I like Massachusetts to take this one, but the vibe amongst many of the fans seems to be pessimistic, given the team's inconsistancy in recent years. Doing **** like sandwiching a 5-1 win over BU with losses to MC and UML last year, or beating Notre Dame and North Dakota to win the Icebreaker Tournament two years ago, then going 0-6-1 in their next seven games.
    It's easy to root for a winner...

Comment

Originally posted by justinD View Post
      , or beating Notre Dame and North Dakota to win the Icebreaker Tournament two years ago, then going 0-6-1 in their next seven games.
      I agree with your idea but it was Notre Dame and Colorado College at the Lightning College Hockey Classic in Tampa, they played in the Icebreaker last season and beat the Sioux, but lost to Michigan State in game 1, leaving them 3rd.
      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
        I agree with your idea but it was Notre Dame and Colorado College at the Lightning College Hockey Classic in Tampa, they played in the Icebreaker last season and beat the Sioux, but lost to Michigan State in game 1, leaving them 3rd.
        yeah...my fault. I was just getting too worked up to think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          Eat at The Hangar. Best wings in New England.
          http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile...atest&start=10
          Which is it Amherst-ians? I haven't lived in Amherst since 2002. Hangar or Rafters?
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

For wings and beer selection - Hangar
            General food and average beer selection - Rafters

Comment

yeah...my fault. I was just getting too worked up to think straight.
              I understand, I get the same way. That often happens when I'm at UMass game that's not going very well, sometimes at Merrimack or against a team like BC. I just try to put myself in a situation of winning seasons or big games, it helps me forget that Merrimack is winning 4-0!
              Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by meff View Post
                For wings and beer selection - Hangar
                General food and average beer selection - Rafters
                Actually I would say Rafters has migrated to sub-average beer selection.

For really good beer try the Amherst Brewing Co downtown.

I wonder if Toot sticks with the same lineup tomorrow or if we see the season debuts of Boehm, Leary, and/or Czepiel.
                MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY
                NCAA Appearance: 2007
                1972 Division II Champions

DII Playoffs : 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

UMass Hockey Blog:
                http://fearthetriangle.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rox22 View Post
                  I wonder if Toot sticks with the same lineup tomorrow or if we see the season debuts of Boehm, Leary, and/or Czepiel.
                  How about Concannon?
                  Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

For really good beer try the Amherst Brewing Co downtown.
                    Quoted for truth.

One reason I never learned that much about either Rafters or The Hangar is that I was always at ABC instead...
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

How about Concannon?
                      This would thrill Rox to no end...

Comment

This would thrill Rox to no end...
                        I don't dislike Concannon as much as I always thought that Saunders was better and should be dressed before him, especially given his speed. That said, Marc did have a couple of very nice goals last season, especially the one in Providence which was one of the best for anyone on the team. Now when you add in guys like Olczyk, Saunders, and the guys I mentioned and it'll be tougher for him to get on the ice.

I really want to see one of the three I mentioned on the ice though just to see what they can contribute.

Amherstblackbear, I'm glad ABC keeps on getting better over the years whereas other local brewpubs (nameley Northampton Brewery) have lost whatever they once had.
                        MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY

UMass Hockey Blog:

Comment

Now that you mention it, I am kind of surprised Leary hasn't seen the ice yet. I have high hopes for him given that he beat out Carzo for the FTT Impact Rookie Pick.
                          #NewMass

Comment

I don't dislike Concannon as much as I always thought that Saunders was better and should be dressed before him, especially given his speed. That said, Marc did have a couple of very nice goals last season, especially the one in Providence which was one of the best for anyone on the team. Now when you add in guys like Olczyk, Saunders, and the guys I mentioned and it'll be tougher for him to get on the ice.
                            I agree that Saunders is certainly faster, and seems to make better plays, but I actually feel bad for Concannon at this point. The kid has played in roughly 20 games his first two years, which certainly must be frustrating when he certainly has the skill to play.
                            Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                              I have high hopes for him given that he beat out Carzo for the FTT Impact Rookie Pick.
                              Yeah thanks, I have a feeling I'm going to be hearing about this a lot as the season goes along. It was a tough pick and I almost went with Carzo but I thought dominating on the DIII level would at least translate to something on the DI level. I still haven't seen him play personally but some of the comments I heard from people who attended the exhibition is that Leary's conditioning may be an issue.

umassfan49, it is too bad but these type of depth players are always faced with that dilemma. Play at a Hockey East school and battle for a chance to even dress or play in a lower conference or division and play every day. Though I still feel bad for Obi Aduba.
                              MASSACHUSETTS HOCKEY

UMass Hockey Blog:

Comment

I agree that Saunders is certainly faster, and seems to make better plays, but I actually feel bad for Concannon at this point. The kid has played in roughly 20 games his first two years, which certainly must be frustrating when he certainly has the skill to play.
                                Yeah, I could see why you'd feel bad for Concannon, but you could say the same thing about Saunders. Concannon played in 25 games through his first 2 years and Saunders played in 26.

I'm not the best evaluator of talent by any means, but there have been games Saunders has played and I've wondered why he doesn't see the ice more. For example, last year in game 3 of the quarterfinals. He was the only player on the ice for UMass during the overtime that I thought had a prayer of scoring. The others all seemed so tired and sort of hoped NU wouldn't score, but Saunders looked really fast and like he could have played all night (maybe from being well rested due to lack of playing time). IIRC, he had a few good opportunities that overtime he generated by hustling. He always hustles.

I don't get out to as many games as the some of you do, but I honestly don't remember anything Concannon has done. Nothing sticks out in my mind like it does for Saunders. I'm not trying to knock Concannon, I'm just stating my observations.
                                #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                                X