This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence - 2009-10 In-season Thread

Slow but who cares, today is today and If I had told you we would have already won vs ND, HC, BG and U Mass you would have laughed
    I wouldn't have laughed if you told me they were going to beat Holy Cross and Bowling Green (currently 0-5-1). The concept of splitting with Umass isn't outrageous either -- what's surprising is they beat them on the road, and won a game at Notre Dame. That's what's encouraging coming off last year. The BG/HC games are nice wins to have in October, and based on last year are good to have in general (because they didnt win many games, period), but don't really point one way or the other as to what kind of success you're going to have long-term. Their upcoming schedule (Brown excluded) will be the real test to see if they can build off the Umass win last Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
      I wouldn't have laughed if you told me they were going to beat Holy Cross and Bowling Green (currently 0-5-1). The concept of splitting with Umass isn't outrageous either -- what's surprising is they beat them on the road, and won a game at Notre Dame. That's what's encouraging coming off last year. The BG/HC games are nice wins to have in October, and based on last year are good to have in general (because they didnt win many games, period), but don't really point one way or the other as to what kind of success you're going to have long-term. Their upcoming schedule (Brown excluded) will be the real test to see if they can build off the Umass win last Saturday.
      that sounds incredibly reasonable.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        NHL didnt give up on him. He could go back today but wanted to be home with roots as kids got older. Moving all over the place is not a fun life.
        Anaheim, Washington, Maine. What next, go to Toronto? please...

part of his problem was that he tried to coach like the old run and gun days when Ron Wilson was rocking ther rink. To much like a pro program but seems to have adapted and instead is putting players in situations they will have success in. Slow but who cares, today is today and If I had told you we would have already won vs ND, HC, BG and U Mass you would have laughed
        Please……you’re right with a couple of wins…. we should just drop all recollections of past and get back on the Tim Army bandwagon even though we’ve all experienced four additional years of continued disappointments. As many others have pointed out the disappointing record and other stats truly speak for themselves. When you experience year ending disappoints at BU and UNH year after year (as many of us have)… then you just might realize that it’s going to take a lot more than a couple of wins to change the attitudes and frustrations that many of use have both on and off the ice.
        Let's GO FRIARS!!
        Let's GO FRIARS!!

Mikey Sweeps!!

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Friars Fan View Post
          Please……you’re right with a couple of wins…. we should just drop all recollections of past and get back on the Tim Army bandwagon even though we’ve all experienced four additional years of continued disappointments. As many others have pointed out the disappointing record and other stats truly speak for themselves. When you experience year ending disappoints at BU and UNH year after year (as many of us have)… then you just might realize that it’s going to take a lot more than a couple of wins to change the attitudes and frustrations that many of use have both on and off the ice.
          Interesting that you should mention UNH and BU as those two teams - plus merrimack and a lesser extent BC (never thought I'd type that sentence) are the architects of our frustration since Pooley left...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Also key... the ability to have 4 point weekends.
            Splits, ties and swept losses don't help with forward progress.

Cav.... I think you posted something like this at some point....
            Let's GO FRIARS!!
            Let's GO FRIARS!!

Mikey Sweeps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              Interesting that you should mention UNH and BU as those two teams - plus merrimack and a lesser extent BC (never thought I'd type that sentence) are the architects of our frustration since Pooley left...
              Well very true on the BC side... though no one would give anyone crap for falling to BC.....

However Merrimack..... well that's like putting salt in an open wound.
              Let's GO FRIARS!!
              Let's GO FRIARS!!

Mikey Sweeps!!

Comment

After they beat HC I did write that a split at ND could happen and I fully expected a sweep of BG so it was not unexpected by me.......to add Toronto to the NHL list is a stretch at best........we should evaluate his team in mid-december and see what they have got now that HE is involved

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Friars Fan View Post
                  Well very true on the BC side... though no one would give anyone crap for falling to BC.....

However Merrimack..... well that's like putting salt in an open wound.
                  Indeed.

Of course the true enemy is US, but that's beside the point...

-Blackadder
                  -Casablanca
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Exactly. This team has won every game it should have won plus a couple (didn't expect a win at ND or a sweep at BG). For me, the most encouraging win was this past weekend at UMass. It could have been more of the same old same old back in HEA play, but they came out and earned a good split on Saturday night.
                    Providence College '03
                    Michigan State University College of Law '07
                    Fantasy College Hockey Champion: 2004, 2005

Comment

Beaudry Named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - It was announced on Tuesday, November 3 that Providence College men's hockey sophomore Alex Beaudry (Cumberland, Ont.) was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month for October. Beaudry is the first Friar to earn a league monthly honor since Tyler Sims was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month in December, 2005.
                      Beaudry finished the month of October with a 4-2 record, a 2.01 goals against average and a .939 save percentage. He recorded 31 saves in a 3-2 win at No. 7 Notre Dame on October 15 and stopped a career-high 47 shots, including 20 in the third period to lead the Friars to a 2-1 victory at No. 17 UMass on October 31. Beaudry, who was named Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week twice in October, held opponents to two goals or fewer in five of the six games he played in. He has helped the Friars jump out to a 5-2 start, including a 4-1 mark on the road.

Congratulations to Alex. Guy has stood on his head at times this year.

Comment

Originally posted by friartownfan View Post
                        Beaudry Named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - It was announced on Tuesday, November 3 that Providence College men's hockey sophomore Alex Beaudry (Cumberland, Ont.) was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month for October. Beaudry is the first Friar to earn a league monthly honor since Tyler Sims was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month in December, 2005.
                        Beaudry finished the month of October with a 4-2 record, a 2.01 goals against average and a .939 save percentage. He recorded 31 saves in a 3-2 win at No. 7 Notre Dame on October 15 and stopped a career-high 47 shots, including 20 in the third period to lead the Friars to a 2-1 victory at No. 17 UMass on October 31. Beaudry, who was named Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week twice in October, held opponents to two goals or fewer in five of the six games he played in. He has helped the Friars jump out to a 5-2 start, including a 4-1 mark on the road.

Congratulations to Alex. Guy has stood on his head at times this year.

congrats
                        in fairness, shots have been as follows
                        beat HC while outshooting them
                        beat nd, were outshot 33-29
                        lost to nd, were outshot 30-29
                        beat bg, outshot them 45-18
                        beat bg, outshot them outshot 33-31
                        lost to umass, outshot them 38-36
                        beat umass, outshot 48-17, stood on head

looks like goalie wont be an issue but it looks lke rest of team is chipping in as well

Comment

You forgot the coaches they are the reason come on dad wake up and fill that glass

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                            You forgot the coaches they are the reason come on dad wake up and fill that glass
                            You are excatly right. Winning one goal games on the raod, vs nationaly ranked teams is a true testament that the coaches are preparing the kids properly. thank you for pointing that out,

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              You are excatly right. Winning one goal games on the raod, vs nationaly ranked teams is a true testament that the coaches are preparing the kids properly. thank you for pointing that out,
                              How 'bout another contract extension! Seriously, let's do it. 2020 isn't that far away, better sign him up.

Comment

How 'bout another contract extension! Seriously, let's do it. 2020 isn't that far away, better sign him up.
                                Maybe we should be giving Beaudry a contract extension? This is pretty much his stellar play so far...

-Blackadder
                                -Casablanca
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X