Oct. 16/17, UMD @ Minnesota -- Until We Goon Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oct. 16/17, UMD @ Minnesota -- Until We Goon Again

In the recent past, we've created a thread for most of our meetings. So here's one where we can call each other names on neutral ground without invading the team threads.

As you can see, there have been a few names called over the years. I'm happy that we've all progressed beyond that now. Here's some discussion of recent series:

January 23-24, 2009 @ Ridder: UMD won the first game, lost a shootout in the second.

October 10-11, 2008 @ the DECC: Minnesota enjoys their only sweep in Duluth. No game thread, but...
    Originally posted by dhmn
    Start of Minnesota thread discussion (click the ">" above)...
    Originally posted by sappy
    UMD thread discussion (click the ">" above)...
    November 17-18, 2007 @ the DECC: Teams split, but I couldn't find a game thread. so...
    Originally posted by brookyone
    Minnesota thread starts about here (click the ">" above)...
    Originally posted by dave1381
    UMD thread discussion starts here (click the ">" above)...
    October 26-27, 2007 @ Ridder: Gophers sweep during 10th Anniversary weekend. No game thread...
    Originally posted by D2D
    Minnesota discussion begins here (click the ">" above)...
    Originally posted by dhmn
    UMD discussion starts here (click the ">" above)...
    February 17-18, 2007 @ Mars Lakeview Arena: UMD dominates Minnesota earning their only sweep of a meeting in Duluth.

November 3-4, 2006 @ Ridder: Minnesota springs a surprise sweep on unbeaten UMD.

January 20-21, 2006 @ the DECC: each team takes a 2-goal decision.

October 28-29, 2005 @ Ridder: a game apiece.

February 26-27, 2005 @ the DECC: yes, another split.

November 19-20, 2004 @ Ridder: the Bulldogs salvage a tie.

February 28-29, 2004 @ Mariucci/Ridder: Gophers sweep.

January 9-10, 2004 @ the DECC: Minnesota steals a split in OT.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: Oct. 16/17, UMD @ Minnesota -- Until We Goon Again

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
    I'm headed to the cities for work this weekend, anyone hitting up the game? I've only been to Ridder once, for playoff action, so I'm curious to sit among like minded people and possibly raise a little hell. Especially if the Dynamic Duo of Team Lick shows up. Gawd those guys were awful last week.
    just_a_fan -- You're more than welcome to come south to Minneapolis and St. Paul, spend a bunch of money in our fine business establishments, watch your team get pounded twice, and then head home.

Actually, I know that several of us Goopher fans would be willing to have an intelligent conversation before either game or between periods about the sport in general, our shared hatred of the Red Menace, and the awfulness that is WCHA officiating.

But you probably don't want to be anywhere near me during game play. If there's any question, just look at my profile "location" to know where you should avoid.
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Though I'll be 2 hours north watching the UMD/Mankato men's series.. I'm sort of expecting UMD to win Friday then get knocked around a bit (score-wise) on Saturday... Maybe more as a fan than realistically though.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
        Though I'll be 2 hours north watching the UMD/Mankato men's series..
        2 hours?

2 hours?

Unless those games are in Moose Lake, you, sir, are operating both outside the speed limit and the bounds of reason.

Come on down, UMD-Minnesota women might be way, WAY more interesting than Dogs-Mavs.
        Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

I never get faster than 75 and have never been stopped on I-35 from here to Kansas (the farthest south I've been).. though I did get stopped on the way to Duluth.. once years ago now.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
            just_a_fan -- You're more than welcome to come south to Minneapolis and St. Paul, spend a bunch of money in our fine business establishments, watch your team get pounded twice, and then head home.
            CrazyDave-- I LOVE it! Thanks for seeing my comments as good natured. I'm happy to spend some money in the cities and and happy to wave to you in your section. Maybe even approach you to say hi. I was a little worried about this place (forum) after getting my butt chewed by another Goopher fan here but maybe I'll stick around for the likes of you. I take it you don't want to get in on one of my anti-gopher shirts?

Comment

Originally posted by just_a_fan View Post
              CrazyDave-- I LOVE it! Thanks for seeing my comments as good natured. I'm happy to spend some money in the cities and and happy to wave to you in your section. Maybe even approach you to say hi. I was a little worried about this place (forum) after getting my butt chewed by another Goopher fan here but maybe I'll stick around for the likes of you. I take it you don't want to get in on one of my anti-gopher shirts?
              Ummm... I'll take a pass. If I had an extra one laying around, I'd offer you a "Better Dead than Red" shirt, though.

Comment

This is the shortest Bulldog team I've seen in a while. Some of their frosh are seriously quick, though.

Comment

FINAL, Game 1: Gophers 3, Bulldogs 1

Gopher Game Notes + post-game interview video with Coach Frost and Noora Räty

Bulldog Game Notes

The opinion of this Gopher fan was that it was a nice win, but there were some defensive breakdowns, particularly those that led to the UMD goal. Glad to see Ms. Rasmussen get on the score sheet and the Gopher penalty-kill shut down the 'Dogs.

Ludwig and Doocy were blind tonight , but it looked like they let a lot go in both directions.
                  Last edited by CrazyDave; 10-16-2009, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    FINAL, Game 1: Gophers 3, Bulldogs 1

Gopher Game Notes + post-game interview video with Coach Frost and Noora Räty

The opinion of this Gopher fan was that it was a nice win, but there were some defensive breakdowns, particularly those that led to the UMD goal. Glad to see Ms. Rasmussen get on the score sheet and the Gopher penalty-kill shut down the 'Dogs.

Ludwig and Doocy were blind tonight , but it looked like they let a lot go in both directions.
                    Doocy and Simonson did that in the UMD/RMU series.. for whatever reason they let the teams play more than any games I saw last season, but then last week looked like the last 2 seasons with lots of special teams play. If the WCHA officiating ever became consistent across the board I think hell had probably froze over.

As for UMD's speed, Thibault is as fast as Blais, and when she learns to USE her speed for more than just being fast.. she'll be dangerous offensively...she already kills the penalty really well. Cournoyer's not bad on her skates either. It will be interesting to see the results from game 2... not that the majority of the UMD team really knows a lot about the whole UMD/Minnesota/Wisconsin "rivalries" really, but I really hope they can at least get a point Saturday.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

I expect games between these two teams to get tighter as the season unfolds. Some of the smaller Bulldog rookies seemed to be adjusting to the physical play, while most of Minnesota's frosh have more size on their side. I remember a sequence in the 2nd where Wong and West competed for a puck along the sideboards in the Gopher zone, and it was evident which one had an extra two years in the weight room.

I didn't see this posted elsewhere -- John Gilbert's series preview. I'm sure a recap will be along sometime after the series concludes.

And because the major rags were absent and The Daily hasn't published yet, you can always go here or here for a Gopher recap.

Comment

So the Gophers win the second game 3-0.

Gopher Game Notes plus interviews with Coach Frost and Kelli Blankenship (though an incorrect headline)

Bulldog Game Notes

Comment

I'm still holding to my statement that UMD is a second half team this season, even with Tuominen and Posa leaving for the Olympics the team overall will be much better as a team come January. You can't put this many freshmen on the ice and expect it all to come together, and yes, I know the Gophers have a bunch of freshmen this year also.

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Interesting tonight at the UMD men's game.. they announced the UMD women as winning 3-0... doesn't the athletic department actually pay attention when they give scores to the scorers table?

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
                              I'm still holding to my statement that UMD is a second half team this season, even with Tuominen and Posa leaving for the Olympics the team overall will be much better as a team come January. You can't put this many freshmen on the ice and expect it all to come together, and yes, I know the Gophers have a bunch of freshmen this year also.
                              I agree with you. UMD actually improved a great deal from yesterday to today, IMO. They were much more aggressive as a team, in particular with their forecheck. Fridfinnson and Blais stepped up their games and were more visible. Wilson stood out to a greater extent. I thought UMD was as good or better than UM for the first 30 minutes, but Räty was the difference. Miller can't teach them everything at once, and today they were burned for being green on the PP.

Coming into this series, I expected that UMD's problems would be up front. There are issues, to be sure, but I think like you do that those will be helped with seasoning. The blue line is where they seem very vulnerable. On the couple instances where Rasmussen was penalized on the weekend, it became evident the challenge that they faced in killing one off w/o her. Had Gray not been able to go this weekend, I doubt the games would be as competitive, because they'd have run out of bodies back there. At some point I'd expect them to slide a forward back.

Comment

Working...
                              X