10/15-10/16 UNH vs. Miami (OH-No!): Reborn from the ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/15-10/16 UNH vs. Miami (OH-No!): Reborn from the ashes

So that other thread fell apart, I felt it my duty to start a new one.

Game tomorrow, and Saturday, and Miami (OH, really?) is the #1 team in the most meaningless poll this side of the 5th Grade student council election. The only reason the USCHO poll, and the USA Today poll, for that matter, exist, is to throw ESPN off into thinking they matter, which only makes ESPN look even dumber for relying on them. If you also put any credence into those polls, simply replace ESPN with your name.

As far as implications for the season ahead: sure, it will have a ebaring on our PWR at the end of the year. But it won't affect UNH for winning as much as it will for Miami (OH-crap!) because winning while on a trip to another team's barn gets you BONUS POINTS! Well whoppty-do. Hopefully it comes to a point where we don't really need bonus points, or have to worry about TUCs, or RPI (they gave us enough problems last weekend ) or any of that other crap come March. Although the chances are we will.

Heart of the matter is, in the grand scheme of things, these aren't the most important games we're going to play this year. It's early in the season, so it'll be a good measuring stick of where we stand at this point. However, we can't beat ourselves up too much over a loss (either team) because again...it's early season. UNH showed last year that you can basically tank an entire month against superior (and inferior) competition and still make the NCAA's.

In conclusion, let's have fun this weekend. Good hockey, good company, and mediocre pizza.

Friday: Miami (OH-by the way) 3, UNH 2
    Saturday: UNH 4, Miami (OH-nevermind) 1
    A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Re: 10/15-10/16 UNH vs. Miami (OH-No!): Reborn from the ashes

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
    Friday: Miami (OH-by the way) 3, UNH 2
    Saturday: UNH 4, Miami (OH-nevermind) 1
    You aren't thinking clearly here. Miami's bigger, stronger, faster, has one of the best defenses in the nation, and can score with anyone. And I forgot to mention that we tend to travel pretty well.

Friday: Miami 4-2
    Saturday: Miami 3-1
    "The only Happy Camper is the guy leaving the camp site!" - Jimmy G.

"This guy takes a tele-prompter to an Eye-Chart Test!" - Dennis Miller on Barak Obama

Comment

Last year we did pretty well on the big sheet too. We'll find out soon enough, but you forgot to add that Miami is the younger team too in that list 2008 .

Comment

You never want to lose a game, but I thought there were lots of positives from the RPI game. We really carried the the game to RPI, at least from what I could tell listening to it on the radio. We just ran into a really hot goaltender, otherwise UNH probably wins that game. The PP continues to be an issue for the team, as they went I believe 1 for 7. If they can improve that, and Kessel returning, certainly would then things should start looking rosier in Durham. I actually really like this team. Lot's of hustle and they skate really well. They are really young, but if they can gel things should really improve post Christmas. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they stack up against an excellent team like Miami.
        Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
        2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
          You never want to lose a game, but I thought there were lots of positives from the RPI game. We really carried the the game to RPI, at least from what I could tell listening to it on the radio. We just ran into a really hot goaltender, otherwise UNH probably wins that game. The PP continues to be an issue for the team, as they went I believe 1 for 7. If they can improve that, and Kessel returning, certainly would then things should start looking rosier in Durham. I actually really like this team. Lot's of hustle and they skate really well. They are really young, but if they can gel things should really improve post Christmas. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they stack up against an excellent team like Miami.
          I wouldn't expect much better numbers than 1 of 7 on the PP this weekend. SCSU has some good playmakers on their PP and they went 0 for 10. Miami had the best PK in the country the past 2 seasons, and the 4th best a year before that. The PK has been a staple of this team for awhile, sadly our Powerplay sometimes we try to do too much with it and make an extra cute pass instead of shooting and going for a rebound. Had a couple pretty man advantage goals last weekend though.

Comment

Originally posted by muredhawks2008 View Post
            You aren't thinking clearly here. Miami's bigger, stronger, faster, has one of the best defenses in the nation, and can score with anyone. And I forgot to mention that we tend to travel pretty well.

Friday: Miami 4-2
            Saturday: Miami 3-1

Sounds like the description of UNH before the UNH - Miami NCAA Regional Semi back in 2007. That game played like a tilted ice sheet, but score defied the play, which showed on the scorecard:
            Score Shots PP
            Miami 2 25 7-14
            New Hampshire 1 44 6-12

So the 'on-paper' is not much to go by, certainly at this early juncture in season.
            UNH has the youngest team I have seen in many years, so that, IMO, is the differentiator.

BTW: Not much difference in the size the these two teams in 09-10. Miami has a couple guys in 6-5 range, but they are not the impact players
            Much of Miami's punch comes from the little guys, Camper, Miele, Cannone.
            We all know what Gerbe did for BC - 5-9 in skates.

For what it matters: Miami takes game 1 - lopsided. Game 2 a tie.
            UNH is too good to sweep back to back at home.

Comment

UNH has this, unless Zac Dysert throws for like 6 touchdowns, but even so, I think UNH's defense is far too strong.

Comment

Not so sure about faster, can't be bothered to check on bigger, but odds are rather high Miami will be more physical.

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                We really carried the the game to RPI, at least from what I could tell listening to it on the radio. We just ran into a really hot goaltender, otherwise UNH probably wins that game.
                Wasn't there either, but this analysis sounds eerily like a lot of last year's games. With very few finishers on the squad, UNH can make a lot of goalies look good for a night. Not trying to rain on our parade, but it has been well-documented how few goals we scored last year and how much of THAT offense is gone. This team may have a lot of upside, but I think it is too early to see it - Miami sweeps

Anybody else expect to see the tinmen take the ice one of these two evenings, more likely tomorrow?
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDan View Post
                  For what it matters: Miami takes game 1 - lopsided. Game 2 a tie.
                  UNH is too good to sweep back to back at home.
                  tell that to BC, a team that didn't even make the NCAAs last year...
                  "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Unfortunately, I watched the first and third periods, but missed the second. Aargh! That being said, I saw a mixed bag for Miami. Definitely showed spurts of pretty good hockey. 3rd period they showed great vision and anticipation to close out a game. I am most disappointed in their passing on the PP. See...passing only works when you move to an open lane. Otherwise the D can simply redirect the pass down ice (as UNH was able to do in the 3rd) and youre forced to reset constantly. That may be nit-picking, but I would like to see them clean that up. I was most pleased to see them be aggressive and respond rather quickly after being down early on the road. That is great to see.

"This guy takes a tele-prompter to an Eye-Chart Test!" - Dennis Miller on Barak Obama

Comment

just finished watching one of the more high-octane periods that i can recall. 9 goals! i mean really!!!!

a few observations before we head into the deciding frame:

UNH has a serious bounce right now. they are skating with a lot of confidence. They are playing very aggressively on the PK. They were helped a great deal by what seemed like 5 straight minutes of 5-on-3. Miami is playing in spurts - and that is frustrating. (I know! I'm Captain Obvious).

I can't really comment on the legitimacy of the penalties since the UNH feed keeps cutting out. Plus....what's with the fish on the ice?!

Comment

I can't really comment on the legitimacy of the penalties since the UNH feed keeps cutting out. Plus....what's with the fish on the ice?!
                        It's a long time tradition whenever UNH scores their first goal...don't know where it started, but I'm pretty sure it's been done at other schools too.

Penalties called on both sides were legit...the refs put their whistles away during the OT period, no surprise there.

Good comeback for UNH tonight to a very talented Redhawk team. I expected Miami to be in a somewhat "letdown" mood tonight after last night's win, but they composed themselves and came back after being down 5-3. Your team's definitely going to go far this year....kudos!
                        sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

I didn't expect UNH to win either game and would have been pleasantly surprised if they kept the games close. For that view coming into the weekend the tie tonight is a good thing.

I do like this UNH team. It is young will need to work hard and grow. I saw some nice things tonight. I saw player growth from last night. Starting in the second period UNH loosed up and started to just play. There were surprises and good signs all around.

They need to figure out how the center keeps loosing the guy in the slot and if a winger should be rotating. All weekend Miami was getting guys free coming down the slot and buried many of those chances. This should be correctable.
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I was really impressed with UNH. They were inconcistent, mind you. But they showed a great deal of heart on saturday. They came out on a mission in that second period and executed it perfectly. They really imposed their will in that 20 min. If they can clean up those defensive miscues in front of the goalie (he was hung out to dry more than once) they'll win a good number of games this year. Good luck the rest of the year, guys!

Comment

Just got home from the game - the ride home doesn't get any shorter.

A couple of quick observations from my first look at the 09-10 Wildcats:

(1) Looks to be a breakout season for Steve Moses. He's getting a ton of icetime - much deserved and much as many of us had hoped.

(2) Mighty mite Borisenok was a blast to watch.

(3) Campanale looked good - he carried the puck out of the zone pretty effectively (I sure miss Kevin Kapstad).

(4) I think Connor Hardowa may be a pleasant surprise. He played his man effectively all night and was effective at taking the body and controlling the puck.

(5) Desimone is still an enigma. He's amazing at controlling the puck and keeping it away from the opposition - he just doesn't make many effective plays. His linemates seem to watch him and can't figure out what kind of play he is trying to make.

(6) Kessel is showing amazing poise for a young sophomore.

(7) Anyone know the story on Peter Leblanc's injury? When he was assisted/carried off the ice, his left leg was just dangling - didn't look good.

(8) As JB noted, the team seemed to loosen up in the second period and I say they played the #1 team in the nation pretty even.

(9) I never noticed it before tonight but when Coach Umile whistles for a line change, the Miami team occasionally tried to take advantage by skating behind the UNH players as they were leaving the ice. It's like Coach is telegraphing his next move.

The tie should boost the confidence of this young team.
                              Another exciting season seems to be in the cards.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X