Arena organs in college hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena organs in college hockey?

I realize that most college hockey arenas utilize bands and piped-in recorded music primarily, but I was wondering if there any arenas out there that still have a live organist or use piped in organ music? You still hear these in pro hockey arenas quite a bit, but my guess is that it's pretty rare in college arenas, if at all.

Denver had an organ into the 1990s, but no longer does....Do any of your rinks use one for games?

Re: Arena organs in college hockey?

We have an organ on Thunder Island. Sometimes Dennis Douda plays it during intermission.

Comment

Originally posted by jay ferguson View Post
      We have an organ on Thunder Island. Sometimes Dennis Douda plays it during intermission.
      Slow clap.
      And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.

Comment

UND has one and it gets played about once a year. What a waste.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

It looks like Michigan Tech just retired theirs.

Comment

Union doesn't have one, nor do I think Messa has room for one but I would love it if they managed to put one in.
            National Champions 2014!
            Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
            Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
            Let's Go U!!!

Comment

Originally posted by iroy View Post
              The recent addition of suites required it to be removed from the arena. Tech gave the organ to a repairman who removed it from the arena for free (a process that would normally cost a couple thousand I'm told).

I'm kinda disappointed I never got to hear it...
              Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
                The recent addition of suites required it to be removed from the arena. Tech gave the organ to a repairman who removed it from the arena for free (a process that would normally cost a couple thousand I'm told).

I'm kinda disappointed I never got to hear it...
                As far as hockey goes, I believe it was last used during the home series with Bemidji in January 07, when the pep band was unavailable due to the semester break.

Comment

Originally posted by iroy View Post
                  Great find. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    UND has one and it gets played about once a year. What a waste.
                    I didn't even realize that they used it.
                    Up close it's a pretty cool looking organ, but yeah, they should really use it.
                    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

can you imagine the MTU PK Ditty on an organ? *shudder*

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I've never displayed my organ in any hockey arena.
                        Bob is making me concerned
                        I am the voice of reason

Comment

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgstiIdgcxg&hl=en&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YgstiIdgcxg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

It's kind of a shame to have pipe organs that can't, or won't, be used. The traditionally made ones are very sensitive to the leather drying out and cracking seals and valves when they're used infrequently. That's why Tech's organ was in poor repair, the thing was almost never used because we almost always had a pep band at games, and an organist wasn't consistently available when the band wasn't home. I do hope that they install an electronic organ in MacInnes, hopefully with the console and speakers by the band - "Gimme Some Lovin'" sounds so much better with that classic organ sound.

As for other arenas, there's still the problem of not having a trained organist. It's so much easier to hit play on a CD of Black Betty something by System of a Down than to actually perform them. I suspect there's pianists at any campus that are also hockey fans though, and it would be awesome for the oldest barns in particular to have that sort of live music... even just once or twice a period.

EDIT: Jon: it's been done. The horror.
                            Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                            I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                            Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Here is 'Lady of Spain' in its full glory....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f54YcsOSTDU

Comment

Working...
                              X