D1 tryouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 tryouts

Anyone know anything about D1 women's hockey? My daughter just got recruited for D1 spot at Brown. She's obviously only in her first year but we now learned that the coaches instituted "tryouts" for all players even though they were all recruited. I just learned that they dumped 2 juniors and a senior after these "tryouts" and now I'm concerned that my daughter could end up the same way. She gave up scholarship money to play for Brown - I hope we didn't make a mistake in selecting Brown. One of the kids that was let go is the best forward on the team. It doesn't make sense. How do you have tryouts after you've recruited these kids?

Re: D1 tryouts

Originally posted by ccookie79 View Post
    How do you have tryouts after you've recruited these kids?
    Maybe you should direct these questions to the program at Brown. We're just fans with opinions but no clout.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Maybe you should direct these questions to the program at Brown. We're just fans with opinions but no clout.
      Hey ARM: Not looking for clout, just opinions. I'm new to the D1 circuit so I just didn't know what's protocol for D1 colleges. Thanks for your "opinion" but I think I would rather ask anyone but the coaches and put my kid's position in jeopardy.

Comment

Thanks for your "opinion" but I think I would rather ask anyone but the coaches and put my kid's position in jeopardy.
        I'd still ask them (or better yet, have your daughter do so if she is wondering), just do it respectfully. Such things may happen more at non-scholarship schools, where there isn't an athletic scholarship involved.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

If your daughter is into Brown, then you have not made a mistake. Hopefully(worst case), she will graduate with a degree from Brown regardless of hockey.

Comment

Hey ARM: Not looking for clout, just opinions. I'm new to the D1 circuit so I just didn't know what's protocol for D1 colleges. Thanks for your "opinion" but I think I would rather ask anyone but the coaches and put my kid's position in jeopardy.
            Ccookie79: I wouldn't open my mouth at Brown either or your daughter WILL be the next "cut". I can assure you, the Brown Men's team doesn't have tryouts. If they did, they wouldn't have any players. If I were you, I'd start looking for a transfer school just in case. it's not a fun team. Ask the players, not the coaches and you'll get the truth. Can't see much of a change until Coach Murphy's deep-sixed. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kylehockey View Post
              If your daughter is into Brown, then you have not made a mistake. Hopefully(worst case), she will graduate with a degree from Brown regardless of hockey.
              Thanks Kylehockey, you are so right. I'm thrilled she'll have a Brown Degree anyway but Hockey has been her whole life. She's worked hard, she's played hard - I'd like to see her have both - but your point is well taken.

Comment

Anyone know anything about D1 women's hockey? My daughter just got recruited for D1 spot at Brown. She's obviously only in her first year but we now learned that the coaches instituted "tryouts" for all players even though they were all recruited. I just learned that they dumped 2 juniors and a senior after these "tryouts" and now I'm concerned that my daughter could end up the same way. She gave up scholarship money to play for Brown - I hope we didn't make a mistake in selecting Brown. One of the kids that was let go is the best forward on the team. It doesn't make sense. How do you have tryouts after you've recruited these kids?
                Sounds like she doesn't have a scholarship from Brown, in which case talking to the coach or Athletic Director may be your only option. If she did get a scholarship and did sign a "National Letter of Intent" I'd say you don't have anything to be concerned about...but if you want more assurance in that instance call the NCAA and speak to the Director of the "National Letter of Intent".

Just remembered...Ivy...no scholarship...sorry...disregard the above...(I couldn't figure out how to delete this post).
                Last edited by Blackbeard; 10-11-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Sounds like she doesn't have a scholarship from Brown, in which case talking to the coach or Athletic Director may be your only option. If she did get a scholarship and did sign a "National Letter of Intent" I'd say you don't have anything to be concerned about...but if you want more assurance in that instance call the NCAA and speak to the Director of the "National Letter of Intent".
                  There aren't National Letters of Intent at Brown, it is an Ivy school and therefor does not provide athletic scholarships
                  GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Thanks Kylehockey, you are so right. I'm thrilled she'll have a Brown Degree anyway but Hockey has been her whole life. She's worked hard, she's played hard - I'd like to see her have both - but your point is well taken.
                    Your chances of your daughter playing hockey for Brown AND graduating from Brown are slim to none. Look at the statistics for the past 4 years alone and count how many kids were brought in each year and then look at how many graduated. This past year alone, there were 25 kids on last year's roster. They graduated 3 and another 12 are no longer on the roster. Where did that other 12 go? Quit maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by gotice View Post
                      There aren't National Letters of Intent at Brown, it is an Ivy school and therefor does not provide athletic scholarships
                      Thanks, I was going to write that
                      My daughter just tells me not to worry but I'm paying a lot of money "not to worry". I'm going to be prepared to bail with her if we have to. Dartmouth and Princeton both have potential.

Comment

I am not sure it is common place to announce "try outs" for the DI level, however, I would imagine that every school has unspoken try outs every year for their team.

Whether it is just simply encouraging players not to return, or reducing ice time of players that have not lived up to the expected potential when they were recruited. There are no guarantees for a player recruited by any school other than to get an opportunity to fulfill their dreams of playing hockey, while getting an education. An opportunity that is available as long as the player is willing to work hard every shift, every practice, every off ice, to continue to enjoy a spot on the team. Regardless of how hard a player on a team is working, there is always someone else out there working just as hard, if not harder to try and take her spot.
                        GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world," Calvin.

“If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Thanks, I was going to write that
                          My daughter just tells me not to worry but I'm paying a lot of money "not to worry". I'm going to be prepared to bail with her if we have to. Dartmouth and Princeton both have potential.
                          Based on another post you wrote earlier concerning Digit coaching the men's team, my guess is you either don't have a daughter there, or your trying to come off as someone else. If you would have liked Digit to move over to the men's side because it's the best thing for the women, why are you paying for your daughter to play at brown when she's an Ivy League student and could have gone somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
                            Based on another post you wrote earlier concerning Digit coaching the men's team, my guess is you either don't have a daughter there, or your trying to come off as someone else. If you would have liked Digit to move over to the men's side because it's the best thing for the women, why are you paying for your daughter to play at brown when she's an Ivy League student and could have gone somewhere else?
                            I was wondering the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by rinkrat890890 View Post
                              Another multiple personality graces the women's hockey boards?
                              GOT ICE? PLAY HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                              X