X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread Part the One

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
    And Bonino?
    From what I have heard, Bonino is targeting the UNH weekend for his return to the ice.

Comment

Wonder if we'll fall to #9 today????
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

INCH dropped us completely out of their power rankings, and not even just out of the top 20, but below their Bubble teams 21-24. And deservedly so. My question for the team is, are we done thinking wins just happen because you are defending national champions? 2-5 is a PRETTY sobering way to start a title defense season, even if the expectations weren't very high. I think it is time for a team with potential and talent to learn its identity and gain an understanding of how it needs to think and play in order to win games, because whatever they have in their heads right now is dead wrong.
        lets play hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierist View Post
          INCH dropped us completely out of their power rankings, and not even just out of the top 20, but below their Bubble teams 21-24. And deservedly so. My question for the team is, are we done thinking wins just happen because you are defending national champions? 2-5 is a PRETTY sobering way to start a title defense season, even if the expectations weren't very high. I think it is time for a team with potential and talent to learn its identity and gain an understanding of how it needs to think and play in order to win games, because whatever they have in their heads right now is dead wrong.
          I'm hoping some of the upperclassmen will remember what happened to this team in 07-08'. After an awful start, they played better toward the end of the season. But by then there was almost no margin for error.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
            I'm hoping some of the upperclassmen will remember what happened to this team in 07-08'. After an awful start, they played better toward the end of the season. But by then there was almost no margin for error.
            The fact that 4 out of BU's 5 losses have been by 1 goal shows how little margin for error this year's team has. I knew they would struggle a bit coming out of the gates, but I had envisioned a 4-3 start would've been more likely than 2-5.

While Millan hasn't looked quite as sharp and efficient as he did last season, I don't think he's been a problem. The guys in front of him have hung him out to try on quite a few occasions already, nor have they done a good job of clearing out opponents in front of the crease.

I expected there to be some defensive challenges so far, especially with integrating multiple Freshmen (one of whom arrived a year early) into the regular rotation. They've made their share of mistakes but have also played very well at times, but that was to be expected at this juncture.

I've been more surprised by the lack of production up front. I knew they wouldn't score as proficiently as last year's team, but this is like 2006-07 and 2003-04 all over again. Imagine where this team would be right now offensively without Alex Chiasson.

In retrospect, the offensive performance in the exhibition games was really a ominous sign of things to come. At the time I thought it was just a matter of time, but I've seen no progress whatsoever. Bonino's injury notwithstanding, there's a combination of guys that were 4th liners last year that are now being pressed into leading roles and haven't delivered (Z. Cohen, Popko, Pereira), plus talented Sophomores (Trivino and Saponari in particular) that were expected to take their games up a level but haven't. Add to that guys who played sparingly or not at all last year (Glass, Gilroy, Gaudet) and a quartet of Freshmen that are playing regularly, and the forwards look completely out of sync.

I remain optimistic over the long-haul and would be quite happy if they can play above .500 hockey going into the break (and thrilled if they can get to .500 by the break). However, if the guys who have been counted on to step up offensively continue to stall where the only way this team might win is if they keep their opponents to 1 or fewer goals/game, this team could have a lot to overcome in the 2nd half of the season.

Comment

I am not sure yet whether to be discouraged or encouraged by all the one goal losses. In one sense our defense has played well enough to keep us in the game but out of 6 one goal games we have lost 4, and wining those games isn't really a skill that can be taught it's an attitude. Now whether this team can turn that attitude around is yet to be seen, but it really isn't something you can work on in practice.

Also for those who didn't attend the Maine game there were prolonged periods in the 2nd period last night where the offense repeatedly created great chances, completely cross ice passes down low through traffic and hitting and open play on the tape only to have the shot trickle just wide. While it was extremely disheartening to see the team come out of the locker room for the third and fail to get anything together for about 10 minutes the chances created earlier in the game were superior to most they had created all year. Now whether that speaks to Maine possibly having the worst defense of any team BU has played to this point, or a trend that we could see going forward is yet to be seen, but it was still nice to see, if only for one period.

Comment

I don't mind the team taking some time to get it together coming off a championship and then the subsequent loss of a bunch of players. However, having this happen vs league opponents is a big problem. Even in their current state I would have expected at least 2 points out of this weekend.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  I don't mind the team taking some time to get it together coming off a championship and then the subsequent loss of a bunch of players. However, having this happen vs league opponents is a big problem. Even in their current state I would have expected at least 2 points out of this weekend.
                  I think the top of HE is worse than recent years while the bottom is better which will result in the league leaders having fewer points than the teams that finished in those spots last year meaning that if BU pulls off an 07-08 second semester run they can easily get home ice, even with a weak first semester. However, like that year it will be hard to get into the NCAA's if this recent performance continues much longer. So the fact that the games count for HE standings right now is not my biggest concern.

Comment

How do we get swept over the weekend and move UP in the national standings? Were'nt we #5 and now we're #4?
                    Frozen Fours: '86, '88, '90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '96, '98, '00, '01, '03, '04, '05, '09, '14, '15

Walter Brown, Agganis, Boston Garden-old/new, Matthews, McHugh, Kelly Rink, Bright, Tsongas, Lawler, Schneider, Providence CC, Alfond, Tully, Portland CC, Centrum, Whittemore, Snively, Hobey Baker Rink, Lynah, MSG, Gutterson, Houston Field House, Ingalls, Smith rink, Davis Rink, Pepsi Center, Bradley Center, St. Paul CC, Fenway, Mullins, Verizon, Joe Louis, HSBC, Nationwide, Messa, Perrotti.

Comment

Originally posted by gambs View Post
                      How do we get swept over the weekend and move UP in the national standings? Were'nt we #5 and now we're #4?
                      Not sure what you are looking at, but you are now ranked 17 down from 7.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                        KRACH has BU at #36, although I think it's really too early for that to be a meaningful number.

Should be a good pair of games.

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                          KRACH has BU at #36, although I think it's really too early for that to be a meaningful number.

Should be a good pair of games.
                          the mathematical rankings aren't worth looking at until at least december, and even then they're still working themselves out. there simply hasn't been enough games played for the numbers to mean much. ivy league teams have barely started their season, the main thrust of the OOC schedule is still going on, so it's really not a good representation of anything.

but BU is not an NCAA tournament team at all right now, since that's really the only ranking that matters.
                          time to write new history

Comment

Transcripts from the Maine game are now up on the blog.
                            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                              Well speaking for myslfef I'm looking at my monitor right now, and according to the MWADE poll we're now 1717th. Phhhth! (This season has also incrased my bourbonin take.)
                              Bugs Bunny - 96
                              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                                (This season has also incrased my bourbonin take.)
                                Assuming you aren't in Europe in Asia, it seems a bit early to already be hitting the bourbon.

Comment

Working...
                                X