BU at UMass 10/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU at UMass 10/16

Figured starting this thread was a good way to procrastinate. The Minutemen come in 1-0 after a 5-2 home win over RPI. Marcou had 4 assists and Irwin (2 G, 1 A), Braun (1 G, 2 A) and Wellman (1 G, 2 A) each had 3 points.

The Terriers will officially drop the puck on their national title defense campaign. They've played two exhibition games so far -- a 2-2 tie vs. St. Francis Xavier and a 3-2 win vs. the US U-18 Team. Bonino (2 G) and Glass (2 A) are BU's only multi-point scorers in those two games.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Re: BU at UMass 10/16

I'll be on a plane to the west coast during the game so I would appreciate a thorough game description so I know what I'm missing.

Comment

It's homecoming weekend at UMass. I don't really remember how homecoming affects attendence at hockey games, but football seems to get a boost. Add in the fact that BU's the opponent and maybe this'll be a sellout.

You have to like BU in this, especially with the whipping they gave UMass last year in the second to last weekend of the season. However, the last few years the Minutemen have had early season success against the Terriers. Here's hoping it continues.
      #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
        It's homecoming weekend at UMass. I don't really remember how homecoming affects attendence at hockey games, but football seems to get a boost. Add in the fact that BU's the opponent and maybe this'll be a sellout.

You have to like BU in this, especially with the whipping they gave UMass last year in the second to last weekend of the season. However, the last few years the Minutemen have had early season success against the Terriers. Here's hoping it continues.
        dont forget 4 of the bu goals in the february game graduated.
        time to write new history

Comment

UMass always seems to do well at home against good opponents (BU, BC, UNH, etc). With the exception of the pounding by BU last year, I feel UMass might have taken that game as a learning experience. I think they let down a little bit after the 3-0 lead, and you clearly can't do that against good teams like BU. I say one goal game. Predicition: BU 3, UMass 2
          Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
            dont forget 4 of the bu goals in the february game graduated.
            Of the 5 goals UMass scored (both games combined), only Cory Quirk, who scored one of them, graduated, so I guess we got that going for us.

Is BU expected to be significantly less productive offensly this year or are you just being humble? I assume the latter, but maybe I'm still a little shell shocked from last season.
            #NewMass

Comment

Is BU expected to be significantly less productive offensly this year or are you just being humble? I assume the latter, but maybe I'm still a little shell shocked from last season.
              Given that last year's team scored 5 or more goals in a game 17 times last year, had a 4th liner with 13 goals, and scored 2 goals in a minute 12 different times, just to name a few stats, I really can't foresee a preseason where I don't expect that years BU team to be significantly less productive offensively than they were in '08-'09.
              Last edited by Agganis; 10-11-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                Given that last year's team scored 5 or more goals in a game 17 times last year, had a 4th liner with 13 goals, and scored 2 goals in a minute 12 different times, just to name a few stats, I really can't foresee a preseason where I don't expect that years BU team to be significantly less productive offensively than they were in '08-'09.
                Saying that this year's team will be less productive than last year's team goal-wise could still mean that we'll score goals on command. When you set the bar so high, its easy to come under it, yet still produce.

I don't think we'll be anywhere near last year, though. One of the problems in our two preseason games was our penchant to shoot pucks at the goalie, not making him move to save it. Bonino and Connolly showed good shooting, but aside from that, the shots were mostly into the goalie's chest or wide of the net.

If we can start picking corners, making the goalie move, I think we'll see a good amount of scoring. However, I don't expect that to happen in the first game of the regular season.

I'm gonna say low-scoring, high-shooting game. 3-1 BU.
                GO BU! がんばろうTERRIERS

Comment

Lets go BU, I'll be at the game, I say the terriers win 4-2 with 2 goals from Bonino.
                  2009 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
                  2009 Northeast Regional Champs
                  2009 Beanpot Champions
                  2009 Hockey East Regular Season Champs
                  2009 Hockey East Champions
                  Ice Breaker Champs
                  Denver Cup Champs

29 Beanpots and counting

GO BU

Comment

I'm actually expecting a high-scoring game. I think the Minutemen are gonna be all about offense all year. Their defense leaves something to be desired. Plus, the Terriers have to run into a goalie who doesn't stand on his head at some point, right? They certainly created plenty of chances in their two exhibition games. Can't pick a winner (that whole media thing), but I'd put the over/under on goals at 8.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                      Can't pick a winner (that whole media thing)
                      Isn't picking a winner part of the job of the media?
                      #NewMass

Comment

Isn't picking a winner part of the job of the media?
                        Umm... no. Something about compromising our impartiality. If you look at ESPN's NFL picks, no one ever picks the games they're covering. I feel like not picking any BU games all year is going to seriously hurt my chances of winning whatever it is the winner of the HE predictions contest wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                          Umm... no. Something about compromising our impartiality. If you look at ESPN's NFL picks, no one ever picks the games they're covering. I feel like not picking any BU games all year is going to seriously hurt my chances of winning whatever it is the winner of the HE predictions contest wins.
                          Make another account and don't reveal your identity this time.
                          Boston University 2009 Champs
                          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Originally posted by BUtiful View Post
                            Saying that this year's team will be less productive than last year's team goal-wise could still mean that we'll score goals on command. When you set the bar so high, its easy to come under it, yet still produce.

I don't think we'll be anywhere near last year, though. One of the problems in our two preseason games was our penchant to shoot pucks at the goalie, not making him move to save it. Bonino and Connolly showed good shooting, but aside from that, the shots were mostly into the goalie's chest or wide of the net.

If we can start picking corners, making the goalie move, I think we'll see a good amount of scoring. However, I don't expect that to happen in the first game of the regular season.

I'm gonna say low-scoring, high-shooting game. 3-1 BU.
                            Totally agree with you here. From the very little we've seen so far, if the guys can sharpen up the final touches, better chances will surely be created. But I did want to mention something about the penchant for shooting at the goalie's chest - while shooting accuracy will definitely need to improve, I don't think we had the best indication of the type of goaltending we'll see in HE. As someone had already mentioned elsewhere, SFTX's Perricone already had 5 years of Juniors (whl) under his belt. Jack Campbell, who was in net for the USNDTP U18's, is only 171 lbs. The average for HE goalies is right about 190 lbs. 20 lbs makes a big difference in lateral mobility in setting up for shots...

After all, shooting is shooting...

Comment

BU has to build a complete game from the first faceoff this year.

Responsible D, consistent special teams play and steady goaltending will be needed to compensate for the loss of firepower on demand that saved their bacon in so many games last year.

I look for Trevino and Connolly to accompany Bonino at the top of the scoring table with Warsofsky asserting himself offensively early in the season.

UMass is a severe test after a less than spectacular early season. To win, or even tie, they'll need to bring the lunch bucket every shift and outwork UMass since they are only their equal in scoring ability.

Comment

Working...
                              X