X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten conference discussed, rejected

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    I fail to see the issue.
    No issue. I think you read that post wrong... What I meant was you must buy a beer or it's a failure. The beer is that much better with the food.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Do the Cheerleaders and VB players share a locker room
      Yes, and they are not allowed to wear clothes in the locker room. And for security purposes, we need cameras in there.

Combine those with bbdl's theory of all women...and we have ourselves the highest rated reality show ever...
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        Yes, and they are not allowed to wear clothes in the locker room. And for security purposes, we need cameras in there.

Combine those with bbdl's theory of all women...and we have ourselves the highest rated PPV website ever...
        FYP!!
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

More on the demise of the college hockey showcase, and the potential for more non-conference games between the Big Ten schools:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...260329/1023/GW

After this year's games at MSU and U-M and next year's stop in Minneapolis and Madison, Wis., the showcase will end after an 18-year run.

"We have one more year after this and that's it,'' MSU coach Rick Comley said. "I think it's run it's course. Wisconsin did not want to extend the Showcase. They want to get Ohio State involved and they prefer a Big Ten Conference.''

"My preference would be to play (Minnesota and Wisconsin) twice (each season),'' said Comley, who is not in favor of a Big Ten league at this point. "I think we could declare a Big Ten champion. It would require a reduced number of CCHA games, which I'm in favor of.''
          I agree with every word Comley says here. Reducing the number of conference games would be a plus, and it would open the door for a non-conference conference. It would allow the WCHA and CCHA to remain, while relieving pressure of a BTHC and improving intersectional matchups across college hockey.

Brian at MGoBlog:

http://mgoblog.com/content/unverifie...ihop-line-chef

If that comes about, good. The Showcase has always been a missed opportunity. I've hardly ever attended it because of Thanksgiving, and having virtually no student section for two of the biggest games of the year always struck me as dumb. More games against Minnesota and Wisconsin at less inconvenient times = win. Moving OSU-Michigan to the Saturday after Thanksgiving, on the other hand, is a personal disaster.

The most logical way to make an unofficial Big Ten conference would be to drop WCHA/CCHA conference schedules down to 22/20 games—enough to play everyone twice—and use the extra six games for the Big Ten.
          "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

I'm all for it.

I've always hated home games during holiday breaks anyway. You can't avoid it completely (especially the week after New Year's), but from the way Comley and that blogger put it- I'm all for it.

The problem will be to convince the non-Big Televen schools in the CCHA and WCHA to get on board.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

The thing is, at 28 games and 12 teams, it's easier for the WCHA to achieve balance in the schedule by reducing the number of games.

There's also nothing preventing the scheduling of conference opponents for non-con games. You'd have a lot more non-con games to play with, so it should be easier to make the logistics work.
              "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

my other blog

Comment

Originally posted by blockski View Post
                The thing is, at 28 games and 12 teams, it's easier for the WCHA to achieve balance in the schedule by reducing the number of games.

There's also nothing preventing the scheduling of conference opponents for non-con games. You'd have a lot more non-con games to play with, so it should be easier to make the logistics work.
                Easy way for the WCHA to do it - Each team plays one conference opponent four times; everyone else twice. That's four more games for the Badgers and Gophers to play with. Two of those go against the Buckeyes, and one more game each for the Wolverines and Spartans. At the same time, the extra two games allows for the maintenance of some good rivalries (i.e., DU-CC) in-conference, while also not forcing some of the smaller WCHA schools to have to go and find so many more nonconference games (although the other CCHA teams would also have more nonconference games to play with if the CCHA schedule is reduced as well).
                Last edited by Clifton; 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM.
                Originally posted by Wreckincrew: "I nominate Clifton for a position on the NCAA Frozen Four host selection plan"

Comment

I think that the future expansion of the Big 10 for when it adds a 12th team will have an impact on this. If they agree to add one member which I think will happen in the near future because lets face the money that a championship game in football creates is to much to pass up on. Now the conference could add a school that has a hockey team already such as Miami and therefore reach the magic number of 6. They could also require a potential new member school such as Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Pitt, or Iowa St to add a varsity team as a condition of joining. Anyone one of those schools would gladly agree to that term since the increase in football revenue would easily offset the costs of running a mens and womens varsity ice hockey program.

Comment

BTHC 1
                    College Hockey 3
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                      They could also require a potential new member school such as Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Pitt, or Iowa St to add a varsity team as a condition of joining. Anyone one of those schools would gladly agree to that term since the increase in football revenue would easily offset the costs of running a mens and womens varsity ice hockey program.
                      What part of "the Big Ten doesn't care about hockey" do people not get...if they cared, they'd be a conference already...

MNS - forking genius.

MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

What part of "the Big Ten doesn't care about hockey" do people not get...if they cared, they'd be a conference already...
                        First they have to destroy the sport then they take it over.
                        Code:

Comment

Yep, in fact the BTN chose not to air any of the Showcase games live this past weekend, opting instead for atrociously bad basketball match-ups. Granted this hasn't exactly been a banner year for any of the four teams but safe to say the network folks are exactly clamoring for a hockey conference at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
                            Yep, in fact the BTN chose not to air any of the Showcase games live this past weekend, opting instead for atrociously bad basketball match-ups. Granted this hasn't exactly been a banner year for any of the four teams but safe to say the network folks are exactly clamoring for a hockey conference at this point.
                            Did they own the rights to air those games?
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                              I believe they get to cherry pick games involving Big Ten teams...not sure on the exact legalities of it though, so I could be wrong.

MNS - forking genius.

I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                If they cared, I'm sure the rights were available for purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X