Dl vs Canadian CIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dl vs Canadian CIS

Some interesting scores> Granted that the American teams are using these games to sort out there rosters. Nonetheless no one likes to lose.

McGill 2 at Vermont 1
    Western Ontario 3 at Ohio State 2
    Wilfrid Laurier 3 at Ferris State 1
    York 2 at RIT 3
    St. Thomas (NB) 5 at Sacred Heart 3
    Toronto 1 at St. Lawrence 2
    Prince Edw.Isl. 3 at Quinnipiac 4
    New Brunswick 3 at Vermont 2
    Ontario IT 2 at Mercyhurst 3
    Lethbridge 3 at St. Cloud State 4
    Calgary 2 at Denver 3
    Lethbridge 1 at Nebraska-Omaha 2
    New Brunswick 6 at Providence 3
    Colgate 4 at Niagara 4

There were three blowouts 6-1 etc but I am just posting scores I thought were close. Concordia who plays in the same 5 team league as McGill has the upcoming game against Plattsburgh
    "just another internet gangster"...PSUChamps

"you can only be as good as your coach will let you be" Ray Ferraro

Re: Dl vs Canadian CIS

Originally posted by doncheery View Post
    Some interesting scores> Granted that the American teams are using these games to sort out there rosters. Nonetheless no one likes to lose.

McGill 2 at Vermont 1
    York 2 at RIT 3
    Calgary 2 at Denver 3
    Colgate 4 at Niagara 4

There were three blowouts 6-1 etc but I am just posting scores I thought were close. Concordia who plays in the same 5 team league as McGill has the upcoming game against Plattsburgh

Concordia is off to a slow start:
    vs. Waterloo Non Conference Loss 6-3
    @ UQTR PreSeason Loss 11-0
    vs. Ryerson League Loss 4-3
    vs. Nipising League Loss 8-2

upcoming games:
    Wednesday, Oct. 14 7:30 PM @ UQTR League
    Friday, Oct. 16 7:00 PM @ McGill League
    Saturday, Oct. 17 7:00 PM @ Plattsburgh State Non-Conference
    Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak
    Cardinal Men- 3-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games

Comment

Originally posted by aerogroup2 View Post
      Concordia is off to a slow start:
      vs. Waterloo Non Conference Loss 6-3
      @ UQTR PreSeason Loss 11-0
      vs. Ryerson League Loss 4-3
      vs. Nipising League Loss 8-2

upcoming games:
      Wednesday, Oct. 14 7:30 PM @ UQTR League
      Friday, Oct. 16 7:00 PM @ McGill League
      Saturday, Oct. 17 7:00 PM @ Plattsburgh State Non-Conference
      Which, IMO, will give much more incentive to Concordia to make a statement by giving their best to try to beat the Cards versus Emery's likely goal of 'using the game to help sort out his roster'. I'm looking forward to my vacation in Florida, but missing this game live, is bittersweet.
      Last edited by norm1909; 10-11-2009, 08:56 AM.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
        Which, IMO, will give much more incentive to Concordia to make a statement by giving their best to try to beat the Cards versus Emery's likely goal of 'using the game to help sort out his roster'. I'm looking forward to my vacation in Florida, but missing this game live, is bittersweet.
        On "Behind the Bench" on Monday, Coach Emery said he was glad to have this game (2 days into practice) to find out, early, what parts of the team's game they needed to work on. Makes sense-- why practice for two weeks and then find out in your first game that counts, that you should have worked on some area more in practice?
        Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak

Comment

Originally posted by aerogroup2 View Post
          On "Behind the Bench" on Monday, Coach Emery said he was glad to have this game (2 days into practice) to find out, early, what parts of the team's game they needed to work on. Makes sense-- why practice for two weeks and then find out in your first game that counts, that you should have worked on some area more in practice?
          (Slaps hand against head)Gee! I wonder if more coaches should figure this out!!! Like maybe play a CIS or NE10 school before your 1st conference game. Emery is positively brilliant!!!!

PS This is not meant at Coach Emery, but a dumbfounded shake of the head why more D3 coaches don't do the same thing.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Absolutely. A good move here by Emery in scheduling this game for many reasons. One can't help but be intrigued by the Ontario vs. Quebec element as well (especially if you remember Cardinal Hockey circa 1980 when we were straight up Quebecois). Also a good little throwback to when we used to play more games and a better variety of opponents; not to mention it helps the season ticket holder lick wounds a little (we're getting hit in the wallet a little over face value this year with more NC games on the road).

Comment

McGill 2 at Vermont 1
              York 2 at RIT 3
              Calgary 2 at Denver 3
              Colgate 4 at Niagara 4
              Which one of these games is not like the others ? Not busting chops if you did this intentionally, just clarifying for those who don't know. More than likely just a typo.

Anyway, the winner is ....

Colgate vs. Niagara is NCAA D1 vs. NCAA D1. Colgate University is in the ECAC and Niagara University is in the CHA (AHA next year.) Niagara U. is in Niagara Falls, NY as opposed to Niagara Falls, Canada which is maybe what caused confusion. I was at this game actually. One interesting note since this thread is about Canadian/American hockey relations, Niagara U games have actually become a popular destination for Canadian hockey fans in Southern Ontario. It makes sense ... Toronto (nhl) tickets = impossible to get, Buffalo (nhl) = also tough to get and often not worth the price when you don't care about the team, so many of our neighbors to the north figure why not throw down $10 bucks for a team that's 5 minutes over the border and get your hockey fix.
              Geneseo Ice Knights Color Commentator 2008 - 2009

Listen to GSU Hockey

Comment

Typo. Was a bit rushed

Comment

Comment

Plattsburgh 7, Concordia 2..shots something like 45-16.
                    Last edited by aerogroup2; 10-17-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Good for Plattsburgh...and Dlll.

Comment

Oswego also topped Royal Military College 7-3.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Royal Military College is the Canadian equivalent of West Point. Makes recruiting tough. That said, McGill beat them 4-2..RMC lost to UCONN 7-2 and Holy Cross 12-3. What would be interesting is to see a top Dlll play a team like McGill a month or so into the season. The CIS teams have been in full practice/exhibition mode since mid Sept. If nothing else Plattsburgh's win over Concordia along with Oswego/RMC highlights the common opponent aspect of these exhibitions. McGill beats Vermont and RMC by same score. . McGill beats Concordia by same score as Plattsburgh. Wilfred Laurier beats RMC 4-2 and Ferris State 3-1 . After 4 games Toronto has the same record in the same league as RMC and Toronto lost to St Lawrence 2-1.
                          Granted teams are sorting out their rosters and it may be a bit of a stretch but It would seem to say that that top tier Dlll would be competitive in CIS and against the bottom 30-50 % of Dl.
                          I remember about 5 years ago a Xmas tournament in Montreal that was Sacred Heart, Middlebury, Saskatchewan ( 5 or 6 ex East Coast guys ) McGill and Concordia. ....Concordia won the tournament but almost all one goal games. Looked even up.
                          Last edited by doncheery; 10-18-2009, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Royal Military College is the Canadian equivalent of West Point. Makes recruiting tough. That said, McGill beat them 4-2..RMC lost to UCONN 7-2 and Holy Cross 12-3. What would be interesting is to see a top Dlll play a team like McGill a month or so into the season. The CIS teams have been in full practice/exhibition mode since mid Sept. If nothing else Plattsburgh's win over Concordia along with Oswego/RMC highlights the common opponent aspect of these exhibitions. McGill beats Vermont and RMC by same score. . McGill beats Concordia by same score as Plattsburgh. Wilfred Laurier beats RMC 4-2 and Ferris State 3-1 . After 4 games Toronto has the same record in the same league as RMC and Toronto lost to St Lawrence 2-1.
                            Granted teams are sorting out their rosters and it may be a bit of a stretch but It would seem to say that that top tier Dlll would be competitive in CIS and against the bottom 30-50 % of Dl.
                            I remember about 5 years ago a Xmas tournament in Montreal that was Sacred Heart, Middlebury, Saskatchewan ( 5 or 6 ex East Coast guys ) McGill and Concordia. ....Concordia won the tournament but almost all one goal games. Looked even up.

I like D3 hockey but in my opinion it can not compare with some of the top D1 teams like UVM and BC which I watched Sunday. The skill level and size of both these teams was outstanding. UVM won 4-1 by agressively checking a very skilled BC team and slowing them down.

I know the question has been addressed in the past but I wonder why more D1 players who don't receive much or any ice time transfer over to D3 and have a chance to develope there skill and show what they can do on the ice. Would appreciate a response from doncherry it possible. I realize education opportunity is a factor but the chance to excell at the D3 would be an attractive option for many.
                            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Played in 2003: Midd, Concordia, Dalhousie, Holy Cross, Toronto and Sask.
                              ...all close games. Midd played the Stingers in the tourney final which Concordia won in a shootout. No much to give between all the teams that particular week. Midd had played Concordia a number of years prior (in the Old Duke) and crushed them 8-1 as the Stingers thought they could club Midd into submission and kept 2-3 skaters in the sin-bin for most of the game.

03-04 was a fun year as Midd crushed the visiting Platty Cardinals 8-1 and Norwich Cadets 6-2 (Kevein Cooper's highlight goal off the opening draw at 0:06) enroute to what still ranks as the most exciting Frozen Four hosted by Norwich later that season.
                              Last edited by WillieC; 10-19-2009, 04:18 PM.
                              D-III Game Pics @ http://www.willcimages.com

Friends of Panther Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X