This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union at St. Cloud (10/16, 10/17) - Never Won vs. Never Been

The goaltending is stella, but the Dutchmen's offense is wicked ****ah.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
      Hey come on... He totally went to lunch.
      Originally posted by Ecacobserver
      Boy you St. Cloud people are either not working or burger king installed computers. Its a Hockey game where two teams haven't met yet and St, Clooud is afraid of losing to Union College. Union just beat a Maine team that is rebuilding, with that being said beat them handily, Union doesnt have scholly but still they have put a strong product on the ice this season. They are no pushovers and to me you st cloud fans are petrified by the thought of losing to miami then union. Boy would that put a damper on the season!!

My thoughts are Union will win both games in a close battle, st cloud is still searching for the #1 goalie to step up and are short handed on scoring! Union has some forwards that can fly, both simpson and the yanovitch kid where very impressive with there speed the other night against maine , the freshman welsh can put the puck in the net, the line of trabbuco, walters and prez are as good as any line in college hockey, the goaltending is stella,, d is young but talented. Union 4-3 and 5-3. Union very talented and St cloud should be as afraid as there fans are!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Christ... you had to design an alterego? I can't wait to see more insight from you. You wanna tell me a THING about SCSU's goaltending, 'cause you clearly haven't got a reach on that. Garrett Roe, Ryan Lasch, Aaron Marvin, Garrett Raboin, last year's freshman class... yeah, clearly the issue with this year's team will be scoring goals.

Face it... SCSU would be a favorite if this were being hosted by Union. Many of Union's players will have never played in such a loud building, and they have little experience on Olympic Ice.

St. Cloud (note there's only one "o") Sweeps...
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        This is awesome: It's no longer SCSU vs Union.

It's now RPI, SCSU, Minnesota, tUMD, MTU, NMU, PC, GVSU (thanks, Monster), UND, Cornell, against... one guy.

I don't see a single Union fan coming to his defense.
        I'm thrilled I am the one who is able to bring all of you together.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
          Face it... SCSU would be a favorite if this were being hosted by Union. Many of Union's players will have never played in such a loud building, and they have little experience on Olympic Ice.
          Spoken by someone who has never been driven deaf by the horn at Cheel or the siren at Appleton. Or the Harvard tuba band.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Spoken by someone who has never been driven deaf by the horn at Cheel or the siren at Appleton. Or the Harvard tuba band.
            Always a Wildcat...
            Originally posted by Kepler
            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
              LOL. I liked that one too.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Yeah they'll fart right in your ear like that.

For what it's worth, Messa Rink is pretty loud, like an echo chamber.
                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                  I'm thrilled I am the one who is able to bring all of you together.
                  You're more worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize than Obama.

-Blackadder
                  -Casablanca
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I see people quoting the "Ecacobserver" but did he delete it? I can't find the original.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      St. Cloud (note there's only one "o") Sweeps...
                      I am determined to see this thread live on through the ages by helping Jon establish St, Clooud as the new {PROVICED.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Sorry, I was making reference to noise created by fans clapping or cheering... not using (annoying) tools and instruments.
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I'm sorry I have to leave all of you again but believe it or not, I have to go teach a class in Albany from 4:00-6:00. I'll be back by 7:00 though. See you all then!

***Hoping this thread be 20 pages when I get back.***

Comment

The Harvard tuba band is awesome. I'm not sure if that's a permanent feature or one that was only there the one time I was at Bright, but it should be.

I hear this place called "Lynah" is fairly active as well.

-Blackadder
                            -Casablanca
                            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

A BRIEF HISTORY OF UNION HOCKEY
                              A RED CLOUD PRODUCTION

Part I: The Calm Before the Suck

A popular description of the history of hockey at Union College was once written by a Cornell fan site, which said simply, “they have no history.” While mostly accurate and humorous in and of itself, the statement only scratches the surface, a mere allusion to the short and practically entirely humiliating existence of hockey at this small liberal arts school in the city of Schenectady, a town whose claim to fame lies in the founding of General Electric in 1878 and being the company’s headquarters for almost a century before the squalor and the unbelievable smell sent the company packing for Connecticut.

Let us first touch upon an important factor of all athletics at Union – a strange fixation on the local school located just 20 miles east on New York State Route 7, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Despite the academic inequity between the two institutions (Union is primarily a liberal arts school, while RPI has always had its focus on science and engineering), the “Dutchmen” have always focused their main attention on RPI. While the “Engineers” have traditionally paid little attention to football, Union, a traditionally a local power, took their greatest joy when defeating RPI. From 1960 to 1996, RPI was only good enough to beat Union 5 times. Yet somehow, this was considered their greatest rivalry.

The fixation eventually traveled over into the sport they did focus on at RPI – hockey. The sport does date all the way back to 1904 at the school, but from 1904 to 1949, the team never played more than 9 games in a single season before going under ahead of the 1950s. In 1975, however, the modern incarnation of hockey at Union began with a stat that would become familiar through the years – requiring an RPI associated figure to jumpstart things. In this case, it was legendary coach Ned Harkness, who won national titles at RPI as both a hockey coach and a lacrosse coach before winning two NCAA hockey crowns at Cornell and then serving as coach and general manager of the Detroit Red Wings. Harkness restarted the hockey program at Union, with the team playing at the Division III level that the rest of the school competed at.

Initially, the program under Harkness was actually very successful. Owing greatly to Harkness’ already legendary reputation developed at RPI and Cornell, the Dutchmen attracted some very good players – good enough that the first (and to date, only) Union player to go on to the NHL, goaltender Steve Baker, played in Division III under Harkness. In just their first season, the Skating Dutchmen went 19-4-0, and followed up with a 22-3-1 season in 1976-77. A glorious existence as a Division III powerhouse beckoned.

But something was amiss in Schenectady. It was obvious that Harkness was bringing in high quality talent, but in December 1977, after starting off with a 4-1-1 record, he abruptly quit the team. News began to leak out that Harkness and the Union administration had been at odds with each other for quite some time – perhaps, it is rumored, because the team was TOO successful. It is also likely that Union’s success had come on the back of NESCAC recruiting violations. Whatever the reasoning, the entire team, including Baker, quit with Harkness, and the JV team was forced to undertake the rest of the remaining 13 games, proceeding to lose every single one of them.

Next: Establishing the Tradition
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Who was it that made that {PROVICED jersey? Get them on a St, Clooud one immediately

Wait, Harvard has a tuba band?
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X